Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post Desolation of Smaug trailer
on: June 11, 2013 02:29
So what did everyone think of the trailer? I'm still not too happy about Tauriel, I think it's really unnecessary and will be branching off into a lot of stuff with her and Legolas that is no where near faithful to the book. But I'm excited about Smaug and the spider scene looked really good. I predict I'll be squirming in my seat a lot since I have a huge fear of spiders.
I guess I'm also confused as to why the barrels of dwarves don't have lids? Other than the film makers thought it would be difficult to show the dwarves were in the barrels? I don't see how they could float down without lids. I would think they'd capsize with all that water splashed in!
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
Trailer? As far as I know the trailer has not been released yet...

Or perhaps I missed something... A link may be helpful?

EDIT: Oh wait, found something on YouTube.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsKRzJkDiyg

I'm going to carefully assume this is official......

[Edited on 06/11/2013 by Nevaratoiel]
~Nev~
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, Nevaratoiel I believe that is the official trailer. It is already June 12 in New Zealand so maybe that is why it was posted. Thank you ever so much for the link.

I think the barrels do not have lids so we can see the Dwarves. Tauriel looks like a great warrior and did it seem that she was attacked by an orc?

The Desolation of Smaug is out in 6 months and I think it will be wonderful!!!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
The trailer is on youtube and also on The Hobbit facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/TheHobbitMovie

Sorry I should have posted a link.

[Edited on 06/12/2013 by tarcolan]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
By the power of Greyskull it's now a link, star. I think facebook must be overloaded though, it was really jerky and chopped up.

It's even better if you download it and play it reeeallyyy sloooowly. No lids on the barrels so they can fight the.... orcs?!

[Edited on 06/12/2013 by tarcolan]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I think no lids on the barrels will allow for the Dwarves to talk to each other giving the movie goer a better scene instead of the barrels just floating down the river.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
AWESOME! tauriel is awesome! i want to be her!
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Thanks for posting the links, guys. Oddly, I first found the trailer on Tumblr. I still have a lot of reservations about Tauriel, but I'll hold off on commenting until I see the movie, and Bard still strikes me as the dark-haired twin of Leggie. Aside from all that, I'm feeling that frisson of excitement going up my spine...Smaug!!
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:Yes, Nevaratoiel I believe that is the official trailer. It is already June 12 in New Zealand so maybe that is why it was posted. Thank you ever so much for the link.
Oh right... I forgot. It's 12 hours later than European Time. And you're welcome.

I forgot to put my thoughts on the trailer.

Well, what can I say; The trailer looks great overall. I thought the CGI in some bits (especially the elves in the trees) looked not real enough. I hope they will still work on it to make it perfect for the film.

Tauriel didn't bother me. I'm actually interested what her role will be. But I can understand that Tolkien purists don't like it.

Ever since reading the fanfic "A Nudge Out of the Door" by Jocelyn, Thranduil has because one of my favourite elves. Seeing him in the trailer, and hearing his voice, I'm really excited to see more. Considering the amount of footage of Mirkwoord in the Trailer I suspect there will be enough time spent there.

What can I say? This will probably be my favourite Hobbit film.
~Nev~
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with you, Nevaratoiel, we will be seeing a lot of Mirkwood and it will be wonderful! Hearing Thranduil's voice was a joy and certainly makes this girl crave for more.

Legolas23 your enthusiasm makes me smile....It is good to hear that someone is happy about Tauriel. I do not think we will be disappointed.

We do not have much longer to wait!
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2013 01:01
starofdunedain said:So what did everyone think of the trailer? I'm still not too happy about Tauriel, I think it's really unnecessary and will be branching off into a lot of stuff with her and Legolas that is no where near faithful to the book. But I'm excited about Smaug and the spider scene looked really good. I predict I'll be squirming in my seat a lot since I have a huge fear of spiders.
I guess I'm also confused as to why the barrels of dwarves don't have lids? Other than the film makers thought it would be difficult to show the dwarves were in the barrels? I don't see how they could float down without lids. I would think they'd capsize with all that water splashed in!

My thoughts exactly! The trailer was very cool, I hope this movie will be better than the first. Will Beorn be in this one?

Linwe, I thought the same thing. I was like "His face looks like Legolas, but...brown hair?"
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
NimrodelArwenka
Council Member
Send Message
I've seen the trailer and I am so excited! Great visuals, music, like always. The only thing that bothers me is... have you notices how much eyeliner Legolas wears? I mean, I know the elves are supposed to be beautiful but he looks more like a painting now... but maybe it's just me..

And I am happy about Tauriel Even though she's not in the book I think her presence adds a little bit to the general atmosphere of the story. I just don't understand why they gave her brown hair... aren't the elves of Mirkowood supposed to be blond? I think I read that somewhere.

[Edited on 06/12/2013 by NimrodelArwenka]
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2013 02:01
Eruwestiel_Evensong said:Linwe, I thought the same thing. I was like "His face looks like Legolas, but...brown hair?"

My thoughts leaned more towards Will Turner. But then again, it's basically the same, because both characters are played by Orlando Bloom, so...
~Nev~
NimrodelArwenka
Council Member
Send Message
Nevaratoile... yeah, me too! Will Turner was the first thing to come to my mind...
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I have read that Tauriel grew up in Mirkwood. It did not say she was born there so perhaps that explains her hair colour. I have also read (somewhere) that the Mirkwood elves have a varied hair colour palette including blonde and ginger so that could explain Tauriel's red hair.

Eruwestiel_Evensong, I believe we got a glimpse of Beorn in the trailer.

[Edited on 06/13/2013 by Lindarielwen]
NimrodelArwenka
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks! That explains it.

[Edited on 06/13/2013 by NimrodelArwenka]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
You are most welcome, NimrodelArwenka. Off I go to watch the trailer again. I stopped counting how many times I have watched it...
AinarielPalantir
Maiden of Nienna and Éomer`s Loyal Puppy
Send Message
Well, I think the trailer promises another good movie I'll refrain from making any guesses about the movie based on this though.

But my god Bard looks like Will Turner The very first time I saw the trailer I thought for a second that Bloom is making a double role
NimrodelArwenka
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen, yeah, I know what you mean by watching the trailer over and over again... 6 months seem to be such a long time to wait... What I do is that every time I finish studying a chapter for my exams, I reward myself with watching the trailer

AinarielPalantir said:But my god Bard looks like Will Turner The very first time I saw the trailer I thought for a second that Bloom is making a double role

Yeah!! Me too!!! Right?! They look so much alike!! I bet they are having a good fun about it on the set... Lol... I wonder if they are gonna have a scene together in the movie... I would most definitely love to see that...

[Edited on 06/14/2013 by NimrodelArwenka]

[Edited on 06/14/2013 by NimrodelArwenka]
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:I have read that Tauriel grew up in Mirkwood. It did not say she was born there so perhaps that explains her hair colour. I have also read (somewhere) that the Mirkwood elves have a varied hair colour palette including blonde and ginger so that could explain Tauriel's red hair.
For some reason I always thought that Mirkwood elves were dark haired and that Thranduil was sort of an exception, because of his Sindar (or was it Silvan) roots... I think I read it somewhere, but I have no idea if it's canon, but I vaguely remember it being in Tolkien literature (or derived from it). I tried looking it up, but I can't find it anywhere. So now I'm confused myself...
~Nev~
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
So he had blond hair with dark roots? I hear that's fashionable now.
StingRhea
Council Member
Send Message
I kind of wish that we could have heard Smaug(Benedict Cumberbatch) say something, so the audience can hear what Smaug will sound like. I am very excited for this movie though. Lovin' Thranduils silvery eyebrows
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:So he had blond hair with dark roots? I hear that's fashionable now.
Lol! You know full well what I mean... Ancestry!
~Nev~
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Can't wait for the movie. I hope we see lots and lots of Mirkwood...
I love Mirkwood...
So much...
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I think it was...okay. I did not picture Bard like he is in the movie. Is Beorn not going to be in the movie? Because it didn't show him in the trailer...

I didn't like the first movie, and I'm pretty sure I won't like this one either, but it looks a little better than the other.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Watch the trailer again. Beorn is there (at least I think it is Beorn as a bear).
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
Yep, from what I read (somewhere) that is supposed to be Beorn.
~Nev~
Bartimaeus
Council Member
Send Message
I can't wait for Smaug to speak... And is it just me, or does he actually look like Benedict?

I pictured Bard pretty differently too, but... well, it's a movie! PJ is getting better. Tauriel though... Anyway, Mirkwood will be cool!
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
Yep, from what I read (somewhere) that is supposed to be Beorn

The question is: why is Beorn seemingly "attacking" the Company? hehe!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email