Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Post Aragorn and the Nazgûl
on: July 12, 2013 05:05
Strider gives us the impression whilst talking to the hobbits in Bree that he had direct experience of the Ringwraiths, and had good reason to fear them. Is there any record of him encountering them?
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
In Appendix A of LotR there are several passages (too many to quote) which tell of Aragorn's 'perilous journeys' many in company with Gandalf. These journeys cover the years of his service as Thorongil in the defence of Gondor, and a later period when the Nazgul were commuting between Dol Guldur and Mordor. He is said to have journeyed to 'the dark confines of Mordor'. We can be pretty certain that he encountered the power of the Nazgul during this time. He is said also to have travelled 'far into the East, and deep into the South, exploring the hearts of men, both evil and good, and uncovering the plots and devices of the servants of Sauron'The Nazgul, as Sauron's closest servants will have been of special interest.

[Edited on 07/13/2013 by cirdaneth]
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
I can not recall any evidence of why Aragorn feared the Nazgul (have to read them again). However just as an opinion of mine I think he feared that the nine would found out who Aragorn really was. Ever since he was born he has been hunted by Sauron because of him being Isildur’s heir. I think Aragorn was afraid that if the Nine found out who he was they would immediately inform Sauron whom I believe would have attacked Minas Tirith a lot sooner and doing that the Allies would have to gather their armies a lot quicker. but that just my opinion.

[Edited on 07/13/2013 by Lord_Sauron]
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
Let's not forget also that Aragorn, being one of the Dúnedain, would definitely have known about the eradication of almost all his kind at the hands of the Witch-King of Angmar - during the conflict with the Ringwraith in Arthedain. The stories surrounding the Nazgul's victories would certainly have travelled down to Aragorn himself.

[Edited on 07/15/2013 by Ilandir]
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Thanks Ilandir! and also, as heir to the throne of Gondor, Aragorn will be well aware that the last King, Earnur, went to Minas Morgul to face the Witch King in combat and was never seen again. The thought of what he might have suffered would give anyone the heebie-jeebies.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Good points everyone, and ample reasons for Aragorn to have kept well away from the Nâzgul. He was supposed to be hiding and any encounter with them would have raised suspicions, he was quite capable of dealing with them and no ordinary man could have done this. Therefore I don't think they crossed his path when he traveled East, he would have avoided them if only to protect his identity. In fact it would have been irresponsible of him to put himself in such danger. So perhaps his dread of them was not from personal experience but from understanding the threat they posed and what their appearance in the West implied.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email