Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
dgvsdg
Council Member
Send Message
Post Keyboard help
on: August 31, 2013 02:20
What language do i change my keyboard to so i can type properly so i can fill out the lessons properly?
thanks

~Dg
~Dg
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
The only symbols you really need are the acute accents: á é í ó ú (and their capitals Á É Í Ó Ú).
De dots or diaeresis are not needed, you don't have to write them to get correct Quenya.

I don't know from which country you are, but in the US you could use the "US International" layout.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
dgvsdg
Council Member
Send Message
thank you
~Dg
Technoalpha
Council Member
Send Message
I recommend memorizing the ALT codes for each character if you are using a pc. They are as follows:

á = ALT + 0225
é = ALT + 0233
ë = ALT + 0235
í = ALT + 0237
ó = ALT + 0243
ú = ALT + 0250

You simply hold down the ALT key, type the code, and release the ALT key. After doing it for a while it becomes second nature as part of your keyboard routine.
aggeloss
Council Member
Send Message
I have a question where i must press ALT and the following codes?
In notepad where?
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
These can be used in any windows programme.
The numbers have to be typed on the numeric keypad. It doesn't work with the numbers on the top row of the normal keyboard.
aggeloss
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks
Katryn
Council Member
Send Message
I have a laptop so I don't have the numeric keypad and nor do I have US international as an option on my computer it seems. Is there another way to make accents?
Elen síla lúmenn` omentilvo.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
If you have windows then you can install additional keyboards through the configuration screen.
When you have more than one keyboard installed you get to choose between them in the task bar at the bottom of the screen.

But if that's not possible or feasible, then on most laptop keyboard you have blue numbers:
http://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/736/49/CSH%20002.JPG
These can be accessed by using the blue Fn-key and the blue NumLK key. It should work as if you had a numeric keypad.

But of course you must disable these keys afterwards otherwise you wouldn't be able to type U, I, O, etc.

erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
Post keyboard accents
on: January 16, 2014 06:35
dirk_math said:If you have windows then you can install additional keyboards through the configuration screen.

Expanding on this, the best choice seems to be United States - International. (At least for those of you in the U.S. )

For long vowels, simply type an apostrophe before the vowel, for a dieresis it is quotation marks.

Example:

' e
'e
é

" e
"e
ë

There are various other symbols that can be done, including ~ and ^, which can easily be googled.

If you want the apostrophe mark by itself, this can take some getting used to, because you will need to type the mark then hit the space bar. However, once the adjustment is done, it becomes really intuitive.
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email