Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
heri_sinyë
Council Member
Send Message
Post The size of Thorin's company
on: September 24, 2013 01:24
Hello! It's been ages since I last visited these forums, but I started thinking about one thing today and perhaps some people here can give me an answer...

So, Thorin set out with twelve dwarves. Not many, considering the mission they're undertaking. So, why didn't he bring more? I know in the film it seems like he asked others for help, but no other dwarves were willing to come. However, I can't find this in the book or anywhere else. So were they only thirteen dwarves because none other would come, or was it for some other reason (perhaps Thorin didn't trust other dwarves, or maybe, as with the Fellowship, they thought a small group would be more efficient than a great host)? And, how did Thorin go about chosing these dwarves for his quest?
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Group theory has the ideal number as 14 or 15. Of course Tolkien could not have known this. I think the film explanation is an attempt to explain why so few went on this mission. There is no hint in the books except perhaps of a general despondency and weariness after the great war with the Orcs in Moria. It may be because it's a family thing.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
By having more Dwarves on the journey it will also cause each dwarf to have a less of a share.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
Let's not forget that in the epic poem of 'Beowulf' (whom Tolkien was greatly inspired and influenced by), Beowulf himself travels with 14 other companions during his quest to King Hrothgar to fight against Grendel.

So I guess you could also say that the size of Thorin's Company, apart from strategic reasons, draws inspiration from the poem itself.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Here in the UK we've been listening to Seamus Heaney reading his translation of 'Beowulf' on the radio. Excellent.

Are there any other examples of this group size in myths and legends?

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email