Register

Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post Private Messages
on: June 06, 2002 04:28
Two new things with PMs:

1) If you have a new private message, it will show a little message down at the bottom of your screen in the status bar. Someone suggested to me that we should have it make a sound--I'm not too keen on that, because that can be obnoxious, and also, it would make that sound every time you loaded a page when you had a new PM (i.e. when you first got it, then when you went to the PM area, and then when you loaded the new PM), which would not be ideal

2) Slightly easier PMing through the forum. Click on the "profile" button below someone's post in the forum, and there is a link at the bottom of their profile to send them a PM. No more having to hunt for them in the Member's List!
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
HobbitFriend
Maps student, site patron and supporter
Send Message
Post RE: Private Messages
on: June 06, 2002 04:46
This is cool.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: June 06, 2002 05:34
Thanks, Rivka! That's much easier. And I like the little message that scrolls across the bottom.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: June 06, 2002 08:35
message is very vool!

sister Figwit * pleased, now waiting for PM's..... *
killjoy
Local Drunk, & Guru Swami Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: June 07, 2002 04:06
yayyyy! i can overcome my pc-dyslexia now! *teary eyed*
Aule
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2002 01:16
Is there a way to preview PMs before you have sent them, as in regular posts, and/or view them after they are sent, as you would with a standard email outbox? Or did I simply miss where this may be done? Or is this feature not available in XForum?

Just curious, or perhaps blind.
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 10, 2002 01:20
The private messages are actually separate from the XForum. And no, you can't do any of that lovely stuff It's a fairly limited PM script, I'm afraid. I might be able to make it so that you can preview your PM before sending it. Is that something people would be interested in?
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 10, 2002 01:21
And now that I think about it, I might be able to make it so that messages can be saved. Hmm. Hmm. Shouldn't be too hard. Will work on it this week...
Aule
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2002 01:30
Thanks for the rapid response.

For my part, it would be helpful. For instance, if I need to send someome something with a very specific content that I need to be very sure of, or when (as I recently did) I send something that contains codes and special characters that I want to be sure were sent and displayed correctly.

But please don't go through the trouble unless it is deemed useful by either yourself and/or a number of other members.

[Edited on 6/10/2002 by Aule]
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: June 10, 2002 01:40
Well you know me R I want a whole new PM system though I love the fact that now I know when I have truly new pms vs old ones.

I personally don't need the preview because you read what you've written in the box but it would be nice to see the ones you've sent that's my biggest gripe with the pm module (which I know is not your fault lol!)
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 10, 2002 01:48
Nah, it's not a big deal, I don't think. To have saved messages and sent ones, would just require the addition of two tables to the database (which will make no sense to most of you, but I'm talking to myself ) and the previewing of the post should be fairly easy, too. Were there any other requests as far as PMs go? If there are, I'll see what I can do...
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: June 10, 2002 02:30
folders? hehehe
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 10, 2002 02:35
Well, now you're pushing it Hmm. I don't think I could set it so that people could create their own folders. That would require too much manipulation of the code. If you can think of some folder names that would be useful to everybody, I could create folders with those names that everybody would have access to within their account...
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: June 10, 2002 03:10
No, but the saved and sent message thing would be great! For the sent it would be nice to see exactly what you did send in case the person doesn't respond. Just make certain you sent it to the right person and/or didn't make gaffe somewhere.
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 10, 2002 04:41
Okay, I've decided to go with having three folders that are available to everybody to save to. Right now they are named:

Saved Folder
Friends
Business

Those names suck, but they'll be what you're stuck with unless you come up with something better, very quickly
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 12, 2002 02:47
Okay, the PM mod has just been updated, to be able to do the following:

1) You can preview your message before sending it.
2) You can save sent messages to a sent folder.
3) You can save any received messages to folders called Friends or Other.
4) You can add friends to a friends list, and when sending a PM, choose them from a dropdown menu, rather than having to type in their name every time.

Enjoy There may be bugs that I didn't come across (in fact, I fully expect that there will be some). If you find a bug, let me know immediately, and I will fix it.
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 12, 2002 02:54
Also, just to add, before anyone asks: to save a message you have to be reading it, and the option for what folder to save it to is in there.

I know, too, that the additions are not that pleasing to look at, but they're functional. If I have more time in the future, I'll try to make it look more snazzy...
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: June 12, 2002 03:20
Many thanks, Rivka! Appreciate it so much...
Aule
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2002 03:21
Regardless if there are bugs or not, all I can say is that I am both impressed and appreciative of your near instantaneous response.

In the immortal words of Bilbo Baggins ...

"Thag you very buch."
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 12, 2002 03:26
Geez, Riv, I go grocery shopping and come back to find you've revamped the whole PM system... you are some kinds great gal!! Thanks so much... we all treasure you (and all the admins)!

Hey, I vote we give Rivka a raise !!
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 12, 2002 03:38
*bows* I live to serve Actually, I enjoy little programming tasks like this; they aren't too hard to do, and kind of fun.

Also, one more thing: the number that states how many private messages you have (on the lower left) is the number for ALL of them in your folders, including the saved messages folder. I couldn't decide what that should be set to. The way it is? Just the inbox? Everything but the saved messages folder? Anyone have a strong opinion either way?
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 14, 2002 08:58
Whoops, looks like there's a bug in the PMs when you reply to people. I will fix it as soon as I can tonight...
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: June 14, 2002 09:29
Found that out this afternoon. Went to reply to Aowyn and got told she doesn't exist in the database! Oh, well... Just made a new message to her and pasted in what I'd written in the reply... No probs, just annoying.
Rivka
Send Message
on: June 14, 2002 01:42
Okay, should be fixed now. I had an if statement where I should have had an else if statement. My bad. *hangs head in shame*
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: June 14, 2002 02:10
Please R! LOL you do more then you should!
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 07:21
just a'wondering...and diggin through old threads (boredom and history!) but my browser doesn't have the thing at the bottom moving when you have a PM...I use mozilla (not sure what number,hehe) but when I use microsoft browser it does...it doesn't bother me but I didn't know if you knew this...if that makes sense.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: January 31, 2003 02:45
I use mozilla (not sure what number,hehe) but when I use microsoft browser it does...it doesn't bother me but I didn't know if you knew this...if that makes sense.

Do you have the Status Bar enabled: View > Show/Hide > Status Bar? This is with v. 1.2.1.
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 31, 2003 04:59
yeah....tells me when it's loading in so on...and I have seen sites that manage to put a little thingey there. I used microsoft something once and it showed up there,but Mozilla doesn't seem to like certain sites too.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email