Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Huddy
Council Member
Send Message
Post Which form of Elvish is spoken in the movies?
on: November 16, 2013 02:00
And what do the Elves of Imladris, Lórien, and Mirkwood speak, respectively?
saerwen_tariel
Council Member
Send Message
My understanding is that in the movies, they all speak sindarin however I know they speak different dialects in the books, I'm just not sure if that difference was put in the movies.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Both Quenya and Sindarin are used in the films

Galadriel has a somewhat Exilic dialect, reflecting her Noldo heritage.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
As far as the books and Mirkwood...

A) In a 'late' text published in Unfinished Tales it was said Oropher (father of Thranduil father of Legolas) and some Sindar merged with the Silvan Elves 'adopting their language'.

B) In another late text (same book) it was said that by the end of the Third Age the Silvan tongues had probably ceased to be spoken in Lórien and the Realm of Thranduil.

C) According to another passage ('late' again) Sindarin was said to be used in Thranduil's house -- 'though not by all his folk.'

§] And in a letter dated Dec. 1972 (another late example!) Tolkien explained that: 'The Silvan Elves of Thranduil's realm did not speak S. but a related language or dialect.'

This last mention is pretty late, but anyway Tolkien himself published (Appendix F) that in Lórien (at least) at this period Sindarin was spoken, though with an 'accent', since most of its folk were of Silvan origin. So we can say this much, I guess, with respect to the Silvan Elves.

So the choice for the films, for the Elves of Mirkwood... is obvious
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
Actually it is kind of obvious incidentally, as there is so little known about the Silvan tongues, especially according to post-Lord of the Rings sources...

... that it would be easier to use Neo-sindarin and make some details reflect a Silvan influence perhaps.

They can say 'Legolas' at lot, which is a Silvan form of Sindarin Laegolas
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email