Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post Things I wish I would Have Known Sooner
on: December 14, 2013 02:13
What do you wish you could have known sooner? They can be funny or serious. Happy posting!

[Edited on 12/14/2013 by findemaxam48]
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
High school grades really don't matter that much in the long run.
I wish I had known that before making myself sick trying to do well in high school.

LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Good topic. Since I'm in my fifties, I could probably come up with a longish list. A few off the top of that list:

1. There is life after high school. Really.

2. Other people's opinions of you really aren't that important.

3. Most people are busy thinking of themselves anyway and even the most has-it-all-together person has something to deal with and a burden to bear.

4. You never know a person's complete story. Don't be hasty in passing judgement.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Good ones, Linwe. A few from my youth...

1. Your friends are the ones who stick by you no matter what happens.

2. Appreciate your family, with all its warts, because you won't always have them forever.

3. Stay in touch with friends - they are few and far between and can never be truly replaced.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
1.- Do what your heart tells you to do,if you made a mistake you'll learn.

2.-When challenging something,do it for yourself and not to please somebody else.

3.-Pay attention to the ones who are meaningful to you,be good to them,they're only here for a short time

4.-Family is sometimes overprotecting,it could be very frustrating,just smile and do your own things anyway and eventually they will let go.

5.-When you're overwhelm by a person or if somebody try to show off or look down at you, remember that when sitting on a toilet seat,everybody looks the same,no more, no less.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Having read so much about JRRT, I have become something of a nitpicker about what is meant exactly. (I commented elsewhere that I consider the normal communicative situation between humans to be that of misunderstanding, only to be reduced, never entirely eliminated, by constant “as I understand what you have said” feedback).
What do you mean by “known”?
My interpretation is “understood”.
As opposed to “heard about earlier”.
Don’t ask for examples, because a “heard about earlier” but “understood later” belongs to the things about which you (I) only remember the “understood later” part, the “heard about earlier but did NOT understand” part becoming embarrassing and therefore repressed and forgotten.
My world view was not turned on its head by comparing theory with experience (subjective, as that of every human being is). Some things, after thinking about them again, I felt I needed to tone down (sometimes dump). Others, after thinking about them again, I felt I needed to be more aggressive about (some people just do not understand anything less than the equivalent of a two-by-four slammed between their eyes with a home-run swing).
Without the babble: wishing for having known some things earlier cannot work when you are not ready to accept that knowledge earlier.

[Edited on 12/16/2013 by Gandolorin]
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
GANDOLORIN:It goes with the territory,the younger you are,the less you are to accept that knowledge,because you have to make your own experiences,learn how to think,how to live in society or not,how to(sometimes you have to)lie,how to tell the truth,try to be reasonable and/or honest,trying to be as good as you can,figure it out who you are and how to live with yourself and also that life is not a bowl of cherries and is sometimes cruel,but most of all make and learn from your mistakes,without them you cannot acquired or accept that knowledge.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
- Dont have opinions based on looks.
-Read the books, then the movie.
-Read often.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
-DBQ's in social studies class are ALWAYS graded, don't just write gibberish. You will get a 2/5.
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
What are DBQs precious, eh? (BTW Sydney no apostrophe required as it's a plural. *fends off dictionary thrown by Sydney*)

What I wish I'd known (understood) -
It's easier to forgive others than yourself. Allow friends and family to tell you who you are. Don't kid yourself, either way. (See butterfly quote)

Read the instructions on the exam paper. Don't answer eight questions when you were only supposed to answer three. (Oh yes I did)
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
^^ lol Tarc haha I've done that a couple times too. Short story: my freshman year of high school, my math teacher on our exam put in the directions "write the word rabbit in the "date" line." After grading all the exams, only about 5 kids actually did it. I was one of them, not because I actually read the directions, but because I saw the word 'rabbit' and read the directions after because I was confused as to why the word was there

-Read the directions on the recipe before you grease the cookie sheet and turn all your cookies into mud puddles.

-Don't lower your standards to make someone else happy.

-Spend your time with people who pull you up instead of drag you down.

-Don't leave a kitten unsupervised.

There's probably more...but I can't really think right now...
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
tarcolan
Send Message
This is fun!
- To summarise, stop thinking about yourself. It doesn't do. Self-referential loop. Y'know when you hold a microphone near the speaker? Like that but more so. Nature has provided us with a method (meditation) to still the mind. Blessed silence. Now why would it do that?

- "For heaven's sake, be kind to each other." - Kurt Vonnegut

- Stab garlic cloves with a fork before roasting them. I'll have to go now, I've got an oven to clean.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Tarc, DBQ's is a bunch of New York State dumbness. On an exam, you get anywhere between 5 and 7 documents that you have to answer questions on, and then transform into an essay based on a main idea question. For example, all of the documents can be on industrialization and labor laws during the American Industriel Revolution, and then the main idea question can be something like, "What were the negative elements of the Industriel Revolution?" And then you have to write an essay on that using and citing the documents as well as outside information you have. I got a 2 out of 17 on one in AP World the other day, but then again, it's a college class and Im only almost 16.

Ok, Julia's done ranting now. And the Industriel Revolution came from the other day when I did Sydney's History homework for her.

- You havent lived till you get a 30 on a Geometry test.
-Geometry proofs are pointless. Why do ou need to prove mits a square and not a triange when you can clearly see that it's a square?
tarcolan
Send Message
- If you live on a sphere then the angles of a triangle don't add up to 180 degrees.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
- Thinking too much is not good for you.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
wolfbladequeen said:- Thinking too much is not good for you.

Objection, your Honor!

We are, in terms of physical capabilities, the Jell-O of the planet. Pound-for-pound, there not a single living being would have trouble slam-dunking us at will.
Our closest relatives in the animal kingdom are the chimpanzees. They are, pound-for-pound, five times as strong as we are. Forget Judy from Daktari (oops, FoF help me out here, old TV series), that was a small female. The big males can weigh 160 lbs and more. Times five makes 800 pounds for one of us. Or almost twice the size of the pro wrestler Andre the Giant (7’4” and 440 lbs). They tried matches between chimps and humans, for a short time. Had to muzzle the chimpanzees, because otherwise they would have killed or at least badly maimed the wrestlers they were “matched” against with their vicious canine teeth. The chimps wiped the floor with every wrestler they took on (enormous power AND four hands).
The ONLY thing that has helped us survive in a world where we are basically Jell-O is our brains – meaning thinking.

However, if you mean thinking where you go around and around in circles mentally without coming to a conclusion – that’s a good occasion to get someone else’s opinion, from several people, including some where your gut feeling makes you think you would not agree with them.

We learn most by our mistakes, not our successes.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
~Never start drawing a Christmas present for someone 2 days before Winter Break starts, you will be guilty he rest of your vacation
~Don't pay attention to what people are saying around you when you are writing or their words will magically end up on your paper
~Don't forget to bring lunch ,oney to school or you'll starve the rest of the day and it will be hard to focus
~Never watch a movie that you've never seen in Spanish or your brain will be totally confuzled and want to shut down for the day
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The first one is directed to Rod...

-Rum cake is called rum cake for a reason.
-Stringed insturments despise the weather changes.
-With that said, keep your insturment in a temprature neutral enviornment or the tuning pegs will fall out.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
HAHAH YES^
~Ugly sweaters are called "ugly" for a reason
~Pictures of yourself don't always look the same when blown up to the size of Mars on Google+. "D
~Don't let your friend give you a Peeta blanket for Christmass or you will become extremely attached to it and drag it around everywhere like Linus from Charlie Brown, seriously...
EruwaedhielOfRohan
Council Member
Send Message
~If you love someone, tell them before you lose them.
Image Image
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
~If you love someone, tell them before you lose them.

This is very true! I agree. Nicely said Eruwædhiel.
tarcolan
Send Message
- Thinking too much is not good for the planet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
- Make sure you have an adequate internet connection, because a seven day CoE strike is not good for your mood, and your family will hate you because your so agitated about it.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
not thinking at all is not too good either
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Music is life.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email