Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Zifnab
Council Member
Send Message
Post R in Sindarin
on: January 16, 2014 07:54
My first language is Hebrew, therefore my natural "R" is very guttural. I can also roll the "R" and to pronounce it like Americans do. I was wondering what is the best way to pronounce it in Sindarin. How should it sound like?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Are you familiar with French at all? It's a light trill, it shouldn't be guttural.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Actually, I believe the 'r' is trilled more as it is in Spanish. According to Appendix E, the 'uvular/back of the throat' 'r' is used more by Orcs & Dwarves.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I tend to say 'like French' as I didn't know until I just looked it up that Spanish uses the same alveolar trill as Scots (I tend to find not many people would understand Scots as a reference! )
Zifnab
Council Member
Send Message
French has a very guttural "r". The only difference between Hebrew's "r" to French's "r" is the slight trill in the French "R".

Should I roll the "r" on my tongue in order to get the best result?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Er... okay. My French teacher (who was French incidentally) always had a very light trill, hers wasn't guttural in the slightest. Perhaps it's dialect dependent in the same way that 'ich' in German isn't always a guttural 'ch', it can be a 'sh'.

So yes, roll it on your tongue.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, that explains a lot. The lessons only said "Represents a trilled R in all positions." I shall edit that in my notebook. I speak French, too, so I feel slightly aggrevated at myself for not figuring out that R sound...
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Zifnab
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:Thank you, that explains a lot. The lessons only said "Represents a trilled R in all positions." I shall edit that in my notebook. I speak French, too, so I feel slightly aggrevated at myself for not figuring out that R sound...

Umm, out of curiousity, who are you thanking to? Me or Galadivren?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Both of you! You for bringing the question up, and Galadivren for giving a definite answer.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email