Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post Intensifiers (Lesson 10)
on: February 05, 2014 04:42
Can someone please explain Intensifiers (Lesson 10) to me? I am confused beyond belief.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
The main point of this lesson seems to be explaining how the words are formed from the original roots.
For example. Take sil- (to shine), reduplicate the vowel (which means use 'i' twice) and thus we have how the word Ithil = Moon (something that shines greatly) is formed.
It also mentions the use of the vowel A as an 'intensifier', giving the examples Apharch (arid, very dry), and Anor = Sun. As it states, these words are the words Parch = Dry, and Naur = Fire, with the vowel A added to the front, making it a greater version of the original. Hence we go from just 'a fire' to 'the Sun', and 'dry' to 'very dry, arid'.

What it doesn't mention is the Sindarin we now know from PE/17, which is of much more immediate interest to the novice Sindarin student, and that is how to make a superlative adjective (the superlative of high = highest, and of great = greatest, in case you don't recognise the word )

Superlative:
If the word starts with a vowel, apart from u we add Rau- to the front of the word, and then apply soft mutation to the word.
If the word starts with any other letter, including u we add Ro- to the front of the word, and then apply soft mutation.

This is only for adjectives though, for nouns we still have the augmentative suffix as listed in that lesson.
Does any of that help?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, it does help! Thank you, Galadivren.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email