Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Sochi Winter Olympics
on: February 08, 2014 07:40
Hey everyone! Just wondering, is anybody else totally psyched about these winter Olympics or what? That opening ceremony was AWESOME! I loved getting a glimpse (a 1 and a half-maybe 2 hour glimpse), into Russia's history. It was so cool! I don't know if it's online somewhere or anything, but if you haven't seen it, you should totally find some way to. Even if you're not into sports, it was still epic! The special effects were mind-blowing.
Anyways, hope everyone enjoys these Olympics. If the opening ceremony was any evidence, they are going to be the best winter Olympics ever. Have fun!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Well, you already know what I think. Pure. Awesomeness!!! Actually, I think it was more like a three hour glimpse.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I must say I love the winter Olympics, but then I'm from the cold white North aka Canada. I have enjoyed the games so far and have been impressed with the athletes dedication to their particular sports The snowboarders take my breath away. Canada won bronze in the new snowboarding event, even though the Morris had broken a rib a couple of weeks ago.

I can't wait for the men's downhill skiing. Apparently, it's an amazing run, faster, steeper and icier than any before it. The most thrilling downhill run I've ever watched was Franz Klammer's gold medal performance at Innsbruck, Austria in 1976. He really flew! I'm hoping for someone to give an out of the world performance in Sochi.

oops, I forgot the most important part .... Image

Image ....... Go, Canada!

[Edited on 02/08/2014 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I always watch the Olympics, both Summer and Winter, but I do like the Winter Olympics the most. I love all the events but must admit I fancy ice skating above the rest. I love all the skating events but this year, Jason Brown has caught my eye. (United States). I adore his enthusiasm for doing what he loves. I know someone just like that...always active and loving what he does.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Figure skating is definitely my most favorite event. I loved watching Charlie White and Meryl Davis (USA). They were awesome. I also really loved RYulia Lipnitskaya (Russia). The snowboarding was cool. I really like Danny Davis (USA). He looked sort of like Kili to me, and he had a picture of part of an acoustic guitar on the bottom of his board. Pure awesomeness. That 15-year-old Japan kid (can't remember his name at the moment) was pretty impressive as well.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I like Danny Davis too and it is a shame about the half pipe surface not being up to par, but the others fared well. Shaun White should not have cut his hair.. I love Charlie and Meryl as they glide across the ice, they are so beautiful together.
Has anyone seen the presentation of the medals? It seems they do not show that anymore.

My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have not seen it.

I watched Women's Half Pipe Snowboarding and Women's Downhill yesterday.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
I missed the opening ceremony, but have been watching figure skating avidly. Great competition, though at times, the audience leave much to be desired (like yesterday, when the hall was all but empty for the final skates eventhough Takahashi the legend was there. Oops, it felt embarrassing.) I can't wait for today's finale.
I agree with Mareth and Lindarielwen - in ice dance, Davis and White are my favorite couple too. I've heard Davis's favorite author is Tolkien, which makes her even more amazing in my eyes.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, how glorious to hear Meryl likes Tolkien, something I did not know. I cannot spell his name but how sad it was to watch the Russian male skater leave the ice without skating. Ah, but that Jason Brown!!!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
USA won a silver today in Women's Skeleton.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Lindarielwen said: Shaun White should not have cut his hair..

Funny how great minds think alike (and fools seldom differ as my mother would have cheerfully reminded me), but when I saw Shaun White in the opening ceremonies with his shorn locks, I thought: oh, he doesn't look like a snowboarder anymore.

I've been enjoying the Olympics so far. Canada has done very well to date which pleases me no end. And, my faves events have been running the past couple of days: biathlon, speed skating, and the crazy people who do the twirly bits while they're 40' in the air. Watching the event, I wondered what it must have been like for them to try it out the very first time.

Pairs and dance skating this coming week ...
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Does anyone know how Charlie White and Meryl Davis fared in ice dancing last night? I lost my cable reception and did not see them skate.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
They skated beautifully and won gold. The Canadians won silver with a world record number of points, but were topped by Davis and White (rightly so .... Charlie Davis looks like he just stepped out of the Regency period, straight onto the dance "floor".)

It was the final competitive dances for both pairs, and they really showed everybody why they were the very best in the world. Very different styles but very beautifully choreographed and performed.

May I also vent about skaters (usually the younger ones) who used songs with lyrics? I find it very distracting and, generally, the music is well outside the realm of "ballroom" or "traditional" dance, which is supposedly what ice dancing is all about.

[Edited on 02/17/2014 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, maybe I can find Charlie and Meryl's performance on Youtube. How happy I am for them. I really think they are perfect together. Thanks for the info.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Davis and White were a delight to watch yesterday. My favorite FD by them is still the Fledermaus, but they captured the essence of Sheherezade perfectly. The first lift was incredible.

ES, I'm in the opposite opinion camp re. the lyrics. If one skates well to music in the matter of movement timing and expressions, I have no issues with the kind of music they choose. I've been watching figure skating for several years now (though it's only for the last 3 years that I've been watching the contests closely), and I find the instrumental stuff repetitive (so many Concertos de Aranjuez, Swan Lakes, Carmens, Nutcrackers, Pirates, Liebestraums, Requiems for a Dream, 4 Seasons, Phantoms!!!, Rhapsodies in Blue, and I could go on). (Truth be told, so is the flood of Skyfalls this season, and Michael Jacksons for several seasons now.) I feel that allowing sung music for all skaters, not just for ice dancers, will give the programs more variety. Also, with some songs like this seasons' Beatles medley, I find the instrumental version too much like Karaoke, and often awfully mutilated so the original is almost unrecognizable, like a bad parody. I'm hoping for this unfortunate trend to be diminished too, when sung music is allowed for all skaters next year (or was it the upcoming season already? IDK at the moment). I've been wanting for a lady to skate to What a Feeling so badly, and that's just not doable without lyrics unless the song is completely destroyed.
And also, I for one am happy about the variety in dancing that we get by having music of all genres allowed (though I have yet to hear someone skate to techno or rap, LOL!)

[Edited on 02/18/2014 by ~nólemë~]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I was so happy to find that Meryl and Charlie won.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I'm really upset that Sochi is over! I'm just proud of our teams! We came in 2nd with the amount of medals!!!!! LETS GO U.S.A.
"A sprinter learning to wait."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email