Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Nimrodel of Lothlorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post What does this mean?
on: March 29, 2014 05:00
I saw this one meme online and it was Aragorn and Legolas. Long story short Aragorn eventually said "Havo dad." Legolas then plopped on the ground with his arms crossed. Does anyone know what the translation for havo dad is? I looked in the dictionaries on here and I found that dad meant down but I couldn't find havo. Please help. I really wanna know what that means. >.< Thanks for reading.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think it means "sit down", but let me check up on that for you, Nimrodel of Lorien.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, it does. "dad" does indeed mean "down", and "hav", from "havo," does nean "sit." I am assumming that the suffix "-o" on "havo" denotes a command, as in "caro", which means "make!" as a command. Im not 100% sure, though.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Yip, it's the imperative form of a verb.
sindarinlotr
Council Member
Send Message
i was just wondering how you say "dh" like in "gladhad" and also how to pronounce lhaew
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
The Sindarin 'dh' is the 'th' found in 'then', 'that', 'this'. (As opposed to Sindarin 'th' which is the 'th' in 'think', 'thought'.)

Edit - appears my headset broke at some point before recording that, I'll re-record it when I buy a new one.

[Edited on 05/13/2014 by Galadivren]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email