Register

Author Topic:
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Post Fencers
on: June 06, 2014 08:09
Hello all.

I was just wondering if there is anyone on here that fences? No, I don't mean fence makers. I mean those guys dressed up in spacesuits waving around long thin bits of metal that you sometimes see on the Olympics.

[Edited on 06/07/2014 by elven_fencer]
ImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I've always though fencing would be cool. What's it like?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Unfortunately I do not fence, but I would like to try sometime.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
fingon of the elves
Council Member
Send Message
I did fencing for more than a year. I am taking the summer off, though hoping to start again in the fall! It is my favorite sport, actually!
Roads go ever ever on, Over rock and under tree, By caves where never sun has shone, By streams that never find the sea;
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I tried it in school and loved it, though it was not as full contact as normal.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor said:I've always though fencing would be cool. What's it like?

Are you sure you want to ask that? Okay then!

First of all, it is a lightening-fast battle of wits and skill, not of strength. Because you are both having to out-smart and out-maneuver your opponent, it is often called "physical chess." There are actually three different branches of fencing: foil, epee (pronounced Eh pay, and sabre. Because these are all such fast-moving sports, there is a set of lights that go off whenever a fencer hits target. Foil is the one that most people start off with, and is the branch I do. In foil, the goal is to get five hits, called "touches" on your opponent, within three minutes. In order to score a touch, you have to hit your opponent with the tip, rather the side, of your blade, within the target area. The target consists of everything from the hips up, excluding the arms and upper neck. There is also a set of rules, called "right-of-way" or "priority," to determine who gets the hit if both scoring lights go off.

So yeah, it's way fun, since it is one of the only opportunities (Outside Society for Creative Anachronism)that you can find yourself in a one-on-one combat situation with swords.
ImageImage
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
fingon of the elves said: I did fencing for more than a year. I am taking the summer off, though hoping to start again in the fall! It is my favorite sport, actually!

That's awesome! I just started in September. It is totally my favorite sport as well! What weapon do you use? I do foil.
ImageImage
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:I tried it in school and loved it, though it was not as full contact as normal.

What do you mean "as full contact as normal"? And which weapon did you use?
ImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
We weren't allowed to engage in complete matches. It was a one unit thing which means two days. And we used foil.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Okay, I see now. When my brother first started in a beginner's class, they weren't really allowed to go at each other until the third week of class. So when I came in at the third week, my brother was like "Man, you come in and suddenly everyone gets to free-fence!"

ImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Okay, fencing was the closest thing I could find to sword fighting except in movies or such. Sounds interesting but I'll stick to piano and writing.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I should be terrified of more wrist problems than I already have, but I would love to do more fencing! Yes, and going at each otehr in a high school gym would be a problem. Funny thing is, swordfighting is integral to my writing, so I love having first hand experience.
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
By the way, Maxie, if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask, and I will do my best to try to answer.
ImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank You, fencer, I appreciate your help.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email