Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
dabenj19
Council Member
Send Message
Post gil-galad
on: June 09, 2014 01:06
i dont know a lot about the elven lord gil-galad can anybody give more info about him and the valar ?
benji+middle-earth= CRAZY!
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
Hmm, I'll attack the dreaded: who is Gil-galad's father?

In the constructed Silmarillion Christopher Tolkien chose Fingon to be Gil-galad's father. This was one of Tolkien's ideas. Christopher Tolkien later stated that he thought he should have left the matter obscure [and did so in the long prose version of The Children of Hurin I think].

Tolkien's last known idea was that Gil-galad was the son of Orodreth [Arothir] however, who himself was the son of Angrod [not Angrod's brother]. This would arguably affect the Nargothrond tale...

... if bored...

In the note in which Fingon becomes King of the Noldor and sends his son Gil-galad to the Havens [compared to the 1977 Silmarillion], the line reads: ['… Fingon took the lordship of the house of Fingolfin and the kingdom of the Noldor. [Late penciled addition: But his young son (?Findor) [sic] Gilgalad he sent to the Havens]' War of the Jewels. p. 56]. This is present on the GA typescript, itself dating to 1958.

So the external progression seems to be:

A) Felagund sends his wife and son to the Havens for safety -- A1) or demands that Orodreth do so -- A2) or Felagund's wife forsakes Nargothrond with Gil-galad.

B) Then later the idea re-emerges that Gil-galad was sent to the havens, by his father Fingon.

C) Then later again Gil-galad is back as a Finarfinian, but now 'escapes'... I assume escapes the fall of Nargothrond.

Unless I've made a mistake here. Anyway I do think the 'Nargothrond element' of Gil-galad as son of Orodreth/Arothir needed some thinking.

Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Does anyone know if the ballad of the "Fall of Gil-galad" is finished in any other of Tolkien's works? I've only read the Hobbit and LOTR.

Gil-galad was an elven king
Of him the harpers sadly sing
The last whose realm was fair and free
Between the mountains and the sea

Ah, love it.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
... and there's always the encyclopaedia.
dabenj19
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for that info it helped a lot
benji+middle-earth= CRAZY!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email