Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
Post Translation help
on: October 27, 2014 09:31
I have been using a flash card program to learn sindarin. Recently I have decided to go through all the words and make a sentence to show them in use, figured it would give me more exposure to many words as well as a lot of practice with mutations and the like. I got flash cards from Pedin Edhellen and have been supplementing it with Ambar Eldaron's Sindarin-English dictionary. I have come across some words that seem common to me but are unavailable in either source, as well as wondering if there is a place I can post the snetences I have made so far to have them checked without flooding a forum like this (though this might be a better place than the facebook group I originally asked).
The words I am wondering about are:
to begin: I found 'henia-' but my sources specify that it is to begin suddenly and with vigor, what if I just want to start gradually or reluctantly?
to read, scroll/parchment/etc. came up when making a sentence for to doom, I wanted to ay "Don't read the scroll, it will doom you" I had to go with "The words will doom you, don't look at them".

Thank you for your help.
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
The correct reading of "heno/henɨa-" from The Etymologies is herio/heria- (VT45 p. 22). An unattested synonym *iesta- would make sense coming from the Eldarin word-root which gave Q yesta 'a beginning' (a noun and probably also a verb-stem 'begin'; compare BES-, SWES-, &c.).

No synonyms for 'scroll' as of yet, but Parma Eldalamberon #13 p. 146 contains the "early Noldorin" (pre-Sindarin) word fadhw 'parchment' (N -w = S -u).

The neologism *henna- 'to read' (< *khentā-, after a Quenya verb in PE17:77) has been suggested by J. M. Carpenter; a prefixed variant *trechen(na)- (lit. 'to eye through/thoroughly') might also hold its own in Sindarin's Welsh-like army of verbs — cp. tre-nar-, ed-onna-.

[Edited on 10/27/2014 by Elhath]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email