Register

Author Topic:
SamDaleFox
Council Member
Send Message
Post Phrase translation help
on: December 31, 2014 07:40
Hello fellow Tolkien people,

I know it's a little cliché but I've been planning for a while now on getting a tattoo of an English phrase translated into Quenya displayed in Tengwar font. I've been studying the language for a while and have found it quite difficult, my skills are improving though since I've discovered this website!

My questions are:
1: Does my translation makes sense?
2. Does the grammar makes sense? (I am unsure where to put the 'comma' equivalent in the sentence when concerning where to place the name).
3: Using the tengwar generator below where do I download the Tengwar Quenya font in order for the output sequence to be transcribed?

http://tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php?l=en

This is the phrase I'm trying to translate:
"There is some good in this world Samantha, and it's worth fighting for".

This is my translation attempt:
"Eë márie Ambaressë Samantha, ar nas valda i mahtië".

(I know it's a film quote but it's such an emotional scene and sums up the beautiful dialogue in LoTR TTT Book4 Chapter VIII, of which I couldn't find an appropriate short quote to use).

On a side note, I was unsure whether to just translate the letters of Samantha in to Quenya Tengwar or to find an equivalent name in Quenya to Samantha. To this I've come across several interpretations. There is the interpretation of the Aramaic 'listener of God' giving you Erulastiel, Lethril, or Héolystan. And also the Greek interpretation of the feminine version of Samuel plus the suffix 'antha' meaning flower, giving you Lótelastië.

Any help would be much appreciated guys! Thank you

[Edited on 01/01/2015 by SamDaleFox]
Anar kaluva tielyanna.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
A good site for Elvish names is: http://www.elvish.org/elm/names/s.html
But of course it might be nicer to keep the original name, especially as a tattoo.

Your version is quite good, only two remarks:
- the correct verb for 'there is' is ëa.
- after valda we use the dative of the gerund to express a goal: mahtien. The article is not needed.

Eä márië Ambaressë, Samantha, ar nas valda mahtien.

Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
SamDaleFox
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you very much dirk_math! Hantanyel
Anar kaluva tielyanna.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email