Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post the Vikings
on: February 15, 2015 06:07
I'm rather excited for season# 3 of theVikings starting soon! I have season 1 & 2 on DVD, and think this is a rather well done series! Anybody else watch this?
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
I tried, I honestly did, but I didn't get through the second episode. I might try again, after I convince myself it's just pure fantasy and has nothig, NOTHING to do with the real Vikings
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Lol! You didn't expect an accurate historical documentary did you?
I wouldn't say it had NOTHING to do with the real Vikings since this is now and the real Vikings was then. I do think they give the period a fair go.
Period entertainment is what it is.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Nah, the problem I have with the show is that before it was released, the authors were talking all loud and wide about how meticulous the research was, and how painstaikingly they have tried to be fair to the people, and to the period... And then it is on, and I see just your typical pseudo-historic show. And the other problem I have is that I know that the vikings used to be so much more than what the series portrays them.

But oh well, it's me, and it shouldn't stop you or anyone else from watching it. What's the difference between it, Spartacus and Troy, is there?
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
What you think won't change my opinion and enjoyment of this series. I think it's pretty top-notch entertainment. I'm sorry you don't like it.

I think the costuming is really good, and Katheryn Winnick as Legertha rocks the part!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
I wouldn't want to change your enjoyment of the series, no! But the costuming is a big, big joke and very far from what the Vikings were actually wearing But I bet the costumes look good on the actors
In the Realm of Ulmo
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I'm sure ANY TV/movie depicting anything in the past would be far from what was actually worn by people of the period depicted. Just like re-enactor groups aren't wearing what was actually worn by people of the period depicted. That is a no-brainer.

I'm not sure why you would think that your opinion of the show would have power to change my enjoyment of the show in the first place. I'm sure historical Viking period scholars don't like the show, or any show of a historical nature. You have made your point in your first POST.

It looks like this topic is dead on this website. Oh well.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
As I already said, it has never been my intention to diminish your enjoyment of the series! I am sorry if it sounded like it was...
The only issue I have ever had is with creators claiming to having done serious historical research. Well, maybe they did, but it didn't show. And them putting up the sharade of having created a historically accurate show only decieves people.

Again, I'm sorry if I've hurt you. Do enjoy the show! Just pray don't believe Vikings actually dressed, wore their hair, or did anything else the way you see it
In the Realm of Ulmo
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I just started watching Vikings for the first time this week and really enjoyed it.

This show is new to me but what I saw, I did like.

Your link was very helpful, Arveleg. I hope I am awake Thurday at 10 to see the start of season three. I had no idea it is going into the third season so I guess I have some catching up to do.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Nifredil said:Again, I'm sorry if I've hurt you.
Lol! As if some random name stating their opinion of a TV show on a website could do that.

Nifredil said: Do enjoy the show!
I do!

Nifredil said: Just pray don't believe Vikings actually dressed, wore their hair, or did anything else the way you see it

Again, Lol. Do you really think I, or anyone else who watches this (or any TV show) is that stupid? You must, since you made such a statement.

Lindarielwen, thanks for commenting. It is well done period drama entertainment. I recommend it!

[Edited on 02/19/2015 by Arveleg]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
You know, when I watch a show, I watch it for sheer enjoyment, not to criticize it frame by frame. So many had issues with Peter Jackson for his interpretation of Lord of the Rings. I never read the books and I thought the movies were wonderful.

Not once did I wonder how the heck did they make their clothes or who braided their hair. I was wrapped up in the story and never worried about the details.

I look forward to watching Vikings but I hope the episodes are repeated at an earlier time.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Does it air late there due to it's blood content?
It airs at 9:30PM here, and I have the PVR set in case I want to go to bed early.
As for PJ's movies, I accepted then for what they were... fanfics based on the Lord of the Ring's books.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It airs at 9PM Eastern Standard Time on History Channel One.

I watched the Season Premiere last night...it was fairly good. I liked the second season the best. I do not know if I will keep up with Season Three.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Ever since I took an interest in Vikings, it seems it is not on. The old episodes were repeated all day so I do not think blood is a factor in the timing.

I believe it is on the History Channel at 10 but I don't even know what day. I do not have a recording device on my TV so I have to watch it when it airs unless they repeat the episode at another time. Off I go to Google.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh joy, I just found out that I can watch full new episodes right on my computer. I can choose my own day and time.

The show airs here at 10pm on Thursdays.

[Edited on 02/26/2015 by Lindarielwen]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Still enjoying this show! They are making the seasons longer starting with season 4, and it was re-up'd for a 5th!
Some of the storyline is a bit flat, but still quite interesting!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
(RIP Linda)

They did two half seasons for season 4, called 'A' & 'B'. 4B just started airing in the USA on November 30 (History Channel). Here in Oz, SBS was going to start showing it earlier than that, but pressure from the producers got them to wait until January. Grrr.... either I bootleg it or wait...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email