Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
JessKings
Council Member
Send Message
Post Quenya endings question
on: February 17, 2015 05:26
Hi! I've been studying Quenya using the Ardalambion course, and currently just finished Lesson 10. I got sort of confused on where to add the pronominal endings. Do I add them onto the verb of the sentence? Because when a bunch of parts of speech are jumbled together ( past participle, verb, infinitive, etc.) I get confused on where to add the endings and I sometimes end up adding it on the wrong word (I know when I check the answer key to correct my work). Currently I've only learned the pronominal endings -n(ye) "I", -l(ye) "you", -s (it), -nte (they), and -t (them). Please help. Thanks
Mae govannen!
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Yes, you add them to the main verb of the sentence.
The most typical of a Quenya verb is that it can have 2 endings. In that case the 1st denotes the subject of the verb, and the 2nd one the direct object:
E.g. Ceninyel = I see you, Cenilyen = you see me.

Also verbs with one ending are possible:
Cenin i alda = I see the tree

And verbs with no endings:
I aran cenë i alda = the king sees the tree

[Edited on 02/17/2015 by dirk_math]
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
JessKings
Council Member
Send Message
For the sentence "I did not find it", why is it 'úmen hiritas' (the 'n' means "I" here, right?)? I don't understand why the ending is added to "did not" and not the verb "find". Also, why is "it" added on to "find" and not "did not" then? Thanks for your help, by the way, I get the examples you posted, but I don't get it if there are more verbs involved in a sentence...

[Edited on 02/20/2015 by JessKings]
Mae govannen!
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
The reason the -n is added to didn't is the same reason as in the English present tense: I don't eat - he doesn't eat. It isn't the infinitive "eat" that changes but the auxiliary verb "don't".

And you are using an old version of the course as úmen just means "I wasn't" and shouldn't be used as an auxiliary.
The correct form for "I did not find it" is: uanyes hirnë
The verb ua- is used to negate other verbs and with these ending uanyes means "I don't do it". The main verb and its tense can be seen in hirnë "found".
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email