Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
lweiland4
Council Member
Send Message
Post word for moon?
on: February 21, 2015 05:01
I have been working on translating this quote from LoTR: "...where the sun sails and the moon walk."

This is what I have so far: "...yassen i anor círa a i ithil vantëa"

I am unsure about the word "ithil" for moon as I have also see "isil."

Any feedback helps!

Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
Sindarin has anor and ithil, while the Quenya forms are anar and isil. Given that they're proper nouns, you probably don't need i preceding them, i.e. yassen anar círa ar isil vantëa, since we have phrases like Anar caluva tielyanna "The sun shall shine upon your path" where "the" is implied without using **i Anar.

[Edited on 02/22/2015 by Tyrhael]
lweiland4
Council Member
Send Message
Oh I see. Thank you for the clarification!!!

lweiland4
Council Member
Send Message
So, in Sindarin I have "...yassen anor revia a ithil pada"

I am still unsure on using "yassen" for "where"

Anything helps, thanks!
Varyalener
Council Member
Send Message
I feel I should give you some help (though the Sindarin 101 forum is the proper place to ask for help with Sindarin):

In Sindarin a "and" takes the form ah before a word that starts with a vowel. Thus: ... ah Ithil pada.

Yassen is a Quenya word, not Sindarin. There are some words in Quenya that have the same form AND the same meaning in Sindarin (like menel "sky, heaven" ), but these are very few and yassen is not one of them. Unfortunately, as far as I know, up to this moment there is no Sindarin word for "where" that has been attested in published material written by Tolkien. It would be possible to circumvent this with some expression using attested words (for example: there is no attested sindarin word for "soon", but we can say na lû thent "in a short time" – which means the same). In case there are no sindarin words that could be used in this manner to express "where", so you'll have to appeal to a reconstructed sindarin word (but I don't have the knowledge on how to do this).

In any case, you should go to the Sindarin forum and ask for help. Sure someone will reply.

[Edited on 03/22/2015 by Varyalener]
Lindanen lassis, laurië lassis. Ar tás altaner laurië lassi.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email