Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Faen_son_of_Roccondil
Council Member
Send Message
Post Pronunciation Help
on: March 07, 2015 02:36
When a vowel comes at the end of a word does it say it's name, like does matinyë end with an í sound like the English see. Another example would be a plural, are plurals that end with i pronounced with an í sound like saironi. And my other question is how is an a pronounced when it comes before an r because is my head I always read it with the long a sound á.

Sorry to bother anyone I'm just really confused.

[Edited on 03/07/2015 by Faen_son_of_Roccondil]
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Matinyë ends in a short e, the sound of bed.
Saironi ends in a short i, the sound of with.
The i in tirë is again pronounced as a short i.

In Quenya only accented vowels are long all others are short. There is no difference in pronunciation between a vowel in the middle of a word or at the end of a word.

Stressed vowels are emphasized but not pronounced differently from unstressed vowels, e.g. in matinyë the i is stressed but is still short.

English vowels don't resemble Quenya vowels at all, you should take Italian or Spanish vowels as examples.

[Edited on 03/08/2015 by dirk_math]
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Faen_son_of_Roccondil
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you so much! This is only my second day of learning a new language period so the whole vowel thing is going against anything I've ever been taught.
Faen_son_of_Roccondil
Council Member
Send Message
Okay so I already have another question. In the Quenya pronunciation lesson it says that the diphthong ui makes the sound like ruin but ruin is two sounds short u then short i. So my question is how do we pronounce that?
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
The oo of too followed by the y of yes. So ooy would be a good English rendition.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Faen_son_of_Roccondil
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks again! No wonder you're a Quenya workbook mentor, your amazing at what you do!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email