Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Varyalener
Council Member
Send Message
Post Question about the verb pelehta- "hew"
on: April 02, 2015 12:48
In a note on an exercise I did, my mentor said that pelehta- "hew" is a composite verb, made of epë + lehta- and they use in internal augment. What does "they use in internal agument" mean?

Another question: why the initial e- of epë is dropped in pelehta-?

Also, I have a suggestion: in the lesson on the perfect tense, it could be included a list of elements that are often afixed to verbs, since, seemingly, the wordlists seldom make the "dissection" of verbs in these cases, leading people who don't have a more profound knowledge of the language to inflect such verbs incorrectly (that's why I gave the perfect of pelehta- as epelehtië). I don't know how much workd it could mean for the languages staff (who already have a lot of work, and not just here in CoE...), it was just somehing I thought of.

[Edited on 04/03/2015 by Varyalener]
Lindanen lassis, laurië lassis. Ar tás altaner laurië lassi.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
An augment is a prefix added to a verb to express a tense, e.g. utúvië has u as augment.
In Quenya we only see this in the perfect tense.

When the perfect tense of a verb with a prefix is formed, you should first add the augment and then afterwards the prefix. In this way the augment becomes 'internal'. E.g. ammat- 'devour' would have amamátië as perfect tense.

About your other remark: the course on this site is only a condensed and simplified version of the Ardalambion course. To get all the fine points you should really give it a try.

Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Varyalener
Council Member
Send Message
I got it! Thank you very much!

And sure I'll read Ardalambion's course after finishing this one at CoE.

[Edited on 04/04/2015 by Varyalener]
Lindanen lassis, laurië lassis. Ar tás altaner laurië lassi.
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message
Post Question about the verb pelehta- "hew"
on: July 30, 2015 06:50
Varyalener said:In a note on an exercise I did, my mentor said that pelehta- "hew" is a composite verb, made of epë + lehta- and they use in internal augment. What does "they use in internal agument" mean?

Where does this curious idea come from? *pelehta- is a modernized form of the Qenya verb pelekta-, found in the Qenya Lexicon, so originating in the 1910's. It's listed under the root PELE. epe as a preposition/prefix did not exist at the time.
Languages of Middle-Earth Community - Google Plus https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email