Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Post Non-canon fanfic idea -- opinions/help?
on: September 06, 2015 04:19
I have an idea for a fanfic centering mostly around Melkor, Sauron and Feanor prior to the destruction of the Trees. Looking for opinions on whether my plot is viable, and help figuring out certain details.

The main gist is this: Melkor, in his plans to corrupt the plans of the Valar, kills Finwe and kidnaps baby Feanor just after Miriel's death. He takes Feanor to a secret lair in Araman, and there raises Feanor as his servant, twisting his heart to evil while leaving his fair elven form unchanged. Anything further than that is major spoilers, and I'm not sure if spoiler tags work on this site. XD I'd be glad to divulge more if people are interested, though.

My main question is this: what should Sauron be called? If Melkor's trying to get Feanor to stay on his side, having a servant named "The Abhorred" would kinda be a turnoff. If there's any indication of what Sauron's name was before he was called Sauron, I'd be very glad to see it. Otherwise I might just go with Annatar, which I know is his Second Age name but at least it's recognizable and not evil-sounding. Would it be confusing if I did that?
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Gorthaur or Mairon were Sauron's names during the FA
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Ooh, Mairon works! Any idea what it means? I doubt it'll be plot-relevant, but I'm curious.
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I looked up Mairon and the reading was quite interesting. It means "admirable, excellent one"

[Edited on 09/09/2015 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
This was online under *Name of the Dark Lord*

Sauron’s original name was Mairon, but this was altered after he was suborned by Melkor. But he continued to call himself Mairon the Admirable, or Tar-mairon ‘King Excellent’, until after the downfall of Númenor.

The name Mairon thus means “admirable/excellent one”, a masculine noun derived from the adjective maira “admirable, excellent, precious” or “splendid, sublime” – “only [used] of great, august or splendid things” The noun maia is related, though this name of the lesser kin of the Valar was later applied to all of these spirits without moral distinction: “Sauron the Maia” is himself a prime example that not all of them maintained their “excellent” original state.

[Edited on 09/09/2015 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Good to know! Thanks, Lindarielwen!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Ooh I could not find that! Thank you Lindarielwen!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email