Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Post Help with a name?
on: September 08, 2015 01:23
In a story I'm working on, the Noldorin MC is given an epessë by his love interest after he kills a descendant of Ungoliant to protect her. I want the name to mean something akin to "Spider's Bane", and I got the translation "Nacil Lianteva" (literally "slayer of the spider". Is that correct, and how might I turn that into a one-word name? Would just hyphenating or merging the words be enough?
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Slayer = nehtar; nacil would also mean 'slayer' but as an instrument not a person (compare macil, tecil, ...)
"Of the spider" is here better translated by a genitive. We used the possessive only when we describe an actual possession (the slayer is owned by the spider), a property (slayer cannot be used in this way, only words like strength, impatience, weakness, ...) or a material from which something is made (the slayer would then be made out of a spider).

So 'slayer of the spider' would then be nehtar liantëo. Combined into one word it would be liantenehtar (or liantinehtar if he killed more than one spider).
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks!
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email