Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
cascades9
Council Member
Send Message
Post question about 2003 LOTR fansites
on: November 10, 2015 03:12
Hey! I have a maybe a bit strange question. So basically, when I was about 11-13 I spent a lot of time on LOTR fansites, that would've been ~2003. I had some close friends on there, particularly one person who was about the same age as me. I was in an abusive home environment though and I was pretty messed up from that and I kind of just disappeared suddenly without saying why. I still feel pretty guilty about that. I actually went back to the site in 2008 and it was still running and I found my friends then, but I was still in the same environment so I kind of did the same thing.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out the site. So it'd be a LOTR fansite with a forum that was around in 2003 and was still around in 2009. I don't think it was this site, but I'm not 100% sure. Does this site have archives?

Thanks so much for the help!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Not sure when it got started but how about TheOneRing.net?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
There were a lot of LOTR forums around that time and most of them have shut down. Although the archive.org attempts to record websites it's unlikely that they will have captured forum content as it is dynamic and older posts are often deleted. If you can remember user names you might try a general search. I wouldn't let the guilt thing get to you though, there are many reasons people disappear from forums.

We have a few links here, maybe one might jog your memory -
Site links
cascades9
Council Member
Send Message
I don't think it was TheOneRing but thank you for the suggestion.
I wish my memory was better for usernames and stuff.

Thanks for the link! I'll look through those lists of sites.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Here a few sites I recall. barrowdowns.com thelandofshadow.com councilofelrond.org
lotrplaza.com
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Onering.com & MinasTirith.com, ArwenUndomiel.com are all still going if at a crawl from the days of 2003. Ringbearer.org tried re-inventing itself as RemembertheBalrog.org around 2010, but it really didn't take and the domain expired this year. HennethAnnun.net story archive site shut down early this year and its vault of tales was incorporated into AnArchiveOfOurOwn.com. Barrow Downs came back from the dead early this year after a hack virus shut it down for a couple months.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
There's also The Land of Rohan.com which has been going for a long time. It's is still active although not like it once was.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email