Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Person_with_a_cool_name
Council Member
Send Message
Post Characteristics of the One Ring
on: December 23, 2015 12:57
I heard a few disscussions about what the One Ring is and would like to hear your opinions. I think it would be nice to have clear information about whether it is a bad thing, a cataclyst for peoples aggressions or even an own entity. Are there answers in the movies or the book that I simply idn´t understand? What do you think?

I´m really hoping for you to answer

Cool_Name
~Cool_Name~
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Gandalf says this in the FoTR movie
"Don't tempt me Frodo! I dare not take it, not even to keep it safe. Understand, Frodo, I would use this ring from a desire to do good. But through me it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine."
There is a story in The Silmarillion called Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age. that tells the story of the creation of the Rings.
I haven't read the LotR in a few Years but I am sure it mentions about the Ring perhaps in the Appendices. I don't know if you have read the Silmarillion but I will write a very brief summary.
Early in the Second Age Sauron, disguised as Annatar approached the Elves of Eregion whose leader was Celebrimbor. Annatar instructed and helped Celebrimbor to forge 16 rings of power (the 7 and the 9 ). Celebrimbor forged the Three Elven Rings with out the help of Sauron. Sauron creates The One to rule all other rings and because the Three were very powerful Sauron had to put most of his power into the One. Even though Sauron never touched the Three Rings Nenya, Narya and Vilya they were still bound to The One Ring. The Elves discovered that Annatar was really Sauron so they took off the Rings and hid them. Sauron came took the Seven and the Nine and killed Celebrimbor.
To some it all up The One ring is Evil because it was made by evil. I am confident that other members on here that are more knowledgeable than me will also answer your questions
Earalda
Council Member
Send Message
Gorthaur had no traits, only a Yen after Power, Supremacy over Arda, and Unchallenged Abeisance from others without their recourse to the election of personal willpower - and in Likeness, his Metaphysical metallic Ring also.

[Edited on 02/13/2016 by Earalda]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email