Register

Author Topic:
malina_lote
Council Member
Send Message
Post Question from lesson 09
on: April 05, 2016 05:06
Hey

I didn't know if there was a thread around here somewhere to ask small questions in? If there is, please point me to it and delete this post.

I am on lesson 9 of the Quenya workbook (it's awesome by the way, thank you to everyone who put it together and marks the exercises <3) and I'm trying to turn the stem [vil] which is 'to fly', into 'flying'. Should I make it [villa] or [vilala]?

Malina
For still there are so many things that I have never seen: in every wood in every spring there is a different green.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
It is vílala with a long í. When the stem ends in a consonant we add -ala (and don't forget to lengthen the stem vowel).
You can find this info in the text of lesson 9.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
malina_lote
Council Member
Send Message
Okay thank you Dirk!

How do you know when a vowel needs to be lengthened?
For still there are so many things that I have never seen: in every wood in every spring there is a different green.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
In certain tenses or verb forms that contain a meaning of duration or repetition, we lengthen the stem:
- the present tense (or continuous tense): cénan 'I am seeing'
- the perfect tense: ecénien 'I have seen'
- the active participle: cénala 'seeing'
- the passive participle of verbs ending in a consonant: rácina 'broken'
The other tenses or verb forms don't lengthen the stem vowel (e.g. the gerund cenië 'seeing' which in English has the same form as the active participle has a short stem but is something entirely different in Quenya).

But always remember the basic rule of Quenya phonology: a long vowel that is followed by more than one consonant becomes short
(that's why I couldn't use cenna 'seen' the passive participle of cen-).

[Edited on 04/05/2016 by dirk_math]
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email