Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
Post translation?
on: February 06, 2003 11:22
I came across a phrase somewhere here at the CoE that doesn't seem to translate for me....I can't remember where I read it, but the phrase is "Amin hiraetha." It was translated as 'I'm sorry', but that doesn't seem to make sense to me....If it is correct, could you explain how it translated literally....And if it is NOT correct, what would be the proper Sindarin for "I'm sorry" or "Forgive me" ?

Also, is there a Sindarin word for "Please"? I am only on lesson 5, so if this is covered in a later lesson, just tell me to be patient!

[Edited on 6/2/2003 by whitewolfsong]
Orosarniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: translation?
on: February 06, 2003 11:47
"Amin hiraetha" looks like Grey Company Elvish, meaning it isn't proper Sindarin. I think "forgive me" would be "díheno nin".
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: February 07, 2003 06:07
In the FOTR movie, David Salo has this line:

Henio, aníron, boe ammen i dulu lîn.
It translates loosely as "Please understand, it is necessary that you help us".

Henio aníron = please understand

So when you want to use "please", use the imperative form of the verb you want it to accentuate (in this case "understand"), and then use "aníron" (I desire) afterwards.

*Belaraniel*
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 04:03
i have asked around and no one seems to be able to translate this for me....

today is but tomorrow's yesterday.

i don't mind if it's reworded as long as it means the same. domeone please help me!!!!!
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 05:31
Ok *Belaraniel* ...after much thought.....

Arad hen na i annan io en-arad aphadol.

This day is the long ago of the following day.

Beren_Elaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2005 07:46
Just a thought....
le hannon is Sindarin for "I thank you", so le hannathon would be "I will thank you". Coupled with an infinitive, this could be a way of making a request, as in "le hannathon henio" = "I will thank you to understand". Does anyone know if this construction is attested anywhere?
Uialdil_i_degilbor
Elvish Scribe
Send Message
on: February 10, 2005 08:03
le hannon is Sindarin for "I thank you", so le hannathon would be "I will thank you".

The problem with this is that there is no such Sindarin verb as **hanna-. It is Neo-Sindarin that was based on the Quenya word hantalë. Reconstructing a Sindarin form of the same verb would actually yield anna-, but that is already a S word meaning 'give'. So we don't really know what the verb 'thank' is in Sindarin, but we know it can't be **hanna-.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email