Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
GreenhillFox
Council Member
Send Message
Post Errors in LotR Annex B "The Tale of Years"
on: July 19, 2017 01:59
I came across a rather substantial error in Annex B of the 2002 version of LotR (electronic edition: "This edition is based on the reset edition first published 2002, which is a revised version of the reset edition first published 1994".

In older editions, you'll find in App. B the following entries:

1356 King Argeleb I slain in battle with Rhudaur. About this time the Stoors leave the Angle, and some return to Wilderland.
1409 The Witch-king of Angmar invades Arnor. King Arveleg I slain. Fornost and Tyrn Gorthad are defended. The Tower of Amon Sûl destroyed.

I think that this is correct because the same years are mentioned twice:

in App. A(ii) The Realms in Exile - The Northern Line - Heirs of Isildur
    in App. A(iii) Eriador, Arnor and the Heirs of Isildur - The North-kingdom and the Dúnedain.

What I noticed is that these entries in the said electronic edition became:

1977 King Argeleb I slain in battle with Rhudaur. About this time the Stoors leave the Angle, and some return to Wilderland.
1356 The Witch-king of Angmar invades Arnor. King Arveleg I slain. Fornost and Tyrn Gorthad are defended. The Tower of Amon Sûl destroyed.

In other words: the year 1977 appears before the year 1356. Moreover, all subsequent years are shifted down 1 line, with the texts remaining the same.

Consequently, 25 entries in total are wrong, down until the following line, which is correct again:

1979 Bucca of the Marish becomes first Thain of the Shire.

I suppose this is of little substance for most readers but now that I have noticed it and since I am unsure if this typo has been flagged before I thought doing well to mention it here.
'There’s something mighty queer behind this.'
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Curious. I've got the later ebook based on the 2004 reset edition and it's correct. I haven't got the 2002 book so can't say whether this was just an ebook glitch. You could edit your copy to correct the errors. The Calibre ebook program has a plugin which removes DRM protection. It's OK to do this for personal use, as long as you don't then share it.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email