Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ar-Zigur
Council Member
Send Message
Post First Age
on: November 15, 2023 09:22
Someone, please, edit the entry "First Age" in your encyclopedia.

First Age began with the Awakening of the Elves, not the first sunrise. Even in 1978, Robert Foster suggested that this date was the actual beginning of the First Age. He never said that it was the first sunrise.

You correctly wrote that the First Age and Elder Days are synonyms, but this already means that the dates of the First Age cover the events before the first sunrise. For example, in the Appendix F to The Lord of the Rings it is mentioned that the Orcs "were first bred by the Dark Power of the North in the Elder Days", i.e. in the First Age. I hope there's no need for me to explain that Melkor began to breed the Orcs long before the first sunrise.

For further references, just read this article:
https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/First_Age#Terminology

[Edited on 11/16/2023 by Ar-Zigur]

[Edited on 11/16/2023 by Ar-Zigur]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Hi Ar-Zigur
Don't hold your breath. This site is one of the first fan sites created after the movies came out and is wholly the product of the members. Web technology has changed a lot in the past twenty years and after a move to Wordpress a lot of things no longer work and will not get fixed. There are few active members here now and the site is kept alive more as an artefact of those times. There are a lot of errors made by members in articles written for the library and nobody is going to start correcting them, certainly not me as I have already spent an inordinate amount of time correcting some of the technical problems.

Take a look at the entries for Hobbits and calendars to see how much work would be needed. Needless to say this site is not the first choice to find authoritative information even though there are many worthy articles. There are a handful of people who keep the old bus rolling more out of nostalgia than any other reason. It's not so much the libraries of Gondor as a dusty old relic found in Moria. Watch out for the cobwebs.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:Web technology has changed a lot in the past twenty years and after a move to Wordpress a lot of things no longer work and will not get fixed. There are few active members here now and the site is kept alive more as an artifact of those times.

That Wordpress "upgrade" was the worst decision made concerning this site. Curious who pays the hosting and domain name bills.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
The move to Wordpress was necessary as I said, the old site would simply not be operable. It's easy for you to sit in judgement without much understanding of how the web works. A great deal of time and effort was put in to migrating everything to Wordpress at a time when activity was decreasing. I became the main admin here by default as I can understand and correct a lot of problems which I have done. The issues that remain are not within my access (with good reason).

Rivka began this site and has kept it going despite the costs and time required but now there are many reasons why she can no longer spend any more time on it. Luckily she is also a web developer and runs her own server so hosts this site on it. That is the only reason we are still here. Be grateful for small mercies.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said: It's easy for you to sit in judgement without much understanding of how the web works.

Wow, uptight much? You don't know me and what I know and understand concerning the web so your statement above is null and void. If you do things half-way and don't see it through, you get half-way working, which what this place has been for a decade. It is sad the effort wasn't put into the place at the time, but it is what it is for us half-dozen who still visit.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email