Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
sepdet
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Books: Favorite or Rare Editions?
on: February 17, 2003 01:02
This almost goes in the book forum, but is more a collector's topic. I was wondering if anyone had favorite, unusual editions of Tolkien, such as the old illustrated Hobbit from the Rankin & Bass animated feature (with the Smaug transparent jacket).

My other oddity is an appalling German edition called Der Kleine Hobbit which puts the elves hanging up in trees in some very odd ways, and portrayed Gollum as a house-sized bullfrog.

But I am also at the moment in a state of euphoria, because I just found decent copies of the edition of LotR I grew up with. It was the first paperback edition published, with goofy cover art hastily prepared to counteract a bootleg already on the market. This is the one Bored of the Rings later parodied:

Plus the seller threw in a first-ed paperback Silmarillion and The Hobbit. From what I know of market value, I think $40 for the complete set was a pretty good deal.

All hail eBay. You lose now and then, but can occasionally find very dear treasures.

Anyone else have favorite editions?

[Edited on 17/2/2003 by sepdet]
amnestia
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Books: Favorite or Rare Editions?
on: March 18, 2003 07:07
Yes i have the boxed set still in the original plastic from 1978 in the gold box.I found them at my local flee market for 15 dollers.I also have that same set thats missing "The Hobbit" that all the covers have fallen off,i guess i read them to much lol
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email