Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Council Member
Send Message
Post Eowyn- Book vs. Movie
on: March 20, 2003 05:17
Which version of Eowyn do you prefer, the book or movie?

They used a lot of the character of Eowyn from the book into the movie, so it is hard to answer. But I like the movie's Eowyn better.

In the book she had a slightly more melancholy attitude, and she seemed to have more of a weakness. In the movie she seemed to have more of an optimistic attitude. She was still serious and responsible, yet more joyous. And when she feels sorrow she is not overly, I guess open, about it. The only way that you could really tell was to look at her eyes.

I still like the book Eowyn, but I was glad to see that not everyone (except Gimli) in TTT was not depressed and melancholy.
Mirlomien
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Eowyn- Book vs. Movie
on: March 20, 2003 05:53
I guess I like the movie Eowyn better, not quite sure.
glaive15
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2003 07:34
I would say i liked the movie Eowyn better. The one scene i didn't like was when Aragorn blocks her sword, and she has the deer in the headlights look on her face for a few seconds. But other then that i thought she was a stronger caracter in the movie.
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: March 21, 2003 01:29
I love to agree with people... however, i like the book Eowyn better. I loved the movie Eowyn she is so feisty and clever, but the book Eowyn has something frosty and sad about her that is very interesting.

I was this frostiness that took Aragorn's attention, and although he never loved her, he knew she was suffering and wanted her to be happy.

In the movie she is a delightful character, and i admire her, however she is too friendly, and i do not get the feeling that she is "cold" as Tolkien describes her.

I did like the way in the book that she did not show outwardly her attraction to Aragorn, instead her feelings betrayed her by the way she acted and spoke. In the movie, she is laughing and smiling-very beautiful, and I like that, but somehow it is not as intruiging as the book Eowyn.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: March 21, 2003 04:19
Book Éowyn, because she's more restless, more on edge. Miranda Otto does a great job at making this restlessness obvious in the tone of her voice, her movements, the way she looks at time - like there's something right beneath her skin, itching it's way through

but Movie Éowyn is just a girl's fantasy, isn't she (and a guy's)? she's beautiful, she seems to be smart, she can weild a sword blabla yadayada
Book Éowyn wasn't. she was cold at times, she was numbed with fear of having to spend the rest of her life caged, she was inconsequent... she wasn't a nice little dolly, and Movie Éowyn seems to sweet to me, to likeable

Éowyn wasn't likeable at all, and that was - to me at least- very important: she was not a nice young woman, and that made her stand out. that is what happened to women who wanted to play a different part in those days: they were caged and became bittered, became restless and rude, and stood out in a very negative way
Tolkien knew how a medieval society like that of the Rohirrim would have reacted to such a woman, and he tried to portray that in his book.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: March 21, 2003 06:12
Well Eowyn wasn't really all that in TTT the book, we saw much more Eowyn in the movie. So I liek the movie Eowyn better.
I_Luv_Frodo
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2003 11:41
I think I like Eowyn in the movies better. She seems more like a real person. More friendly and open. In the book she seems like a closed character. To cold and proud that the character kinda loses herself in it. (Now, don't get me wrong I like Eowyn in the books to, I just think that the changed that the movie made to her character are good!)
sepdet
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2003 11:53
I'm torn.

I have a bone to pick with Tolkien about the Ice Princess because she stops being Ice Princess the moment she steps into a more womanly role, namely, falling in love with Faramir and putting her sword away. I realize it's more complicated than that, but I find that very unsatisfying.

However, the cool, trapped Eowyn in the book is a very complex and painfully true character, epitomizing what you otherwise don't really see in Tolkien much-- the situation of human women in Middle-Earth, the exception that proves the rule. She's a very psychologically believable soul. You've got to admire her, and yet she's almost painful to watch.

I liked the movie Eowyn, but she seemed so young to me. Of course, I'm starting to have that problem with everyon (eyes own white hairs ruefully). I really liked her, not least because she's so full of life and so spirited and so beautiful-- okay, okay, occasionally the gals will turn my head as much as Archer God-- but I had a very serious problem with her interaction with Grima, so much that it took me a long time to accept her.

I very much did not like her just standing there and looking like a quivery bird while Grima was putting the moves on her. To me, that wasn't Eowyn at all. She should had snapped at him about 20 seconds sooner, and I really could not believe she didn't smack him when he put his hand on her face.

I think the idea there is that he was using some sort of enchantment, the same kind he used on Théoden, but it made my skin crawl to see Éowyn so passive.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 01, 2003 11:00
I had a very serious problem with her interaction with Grima, so much that it took me a long time to accept her.

I very much did not like her just standing there and looking like a quivery bird while Grima was putting the moves on her. To me, that wasn't Eowyn at all. She should had snapped at him about 20 seconds sooner, and I really could not believe she didn't smack him when he put his hand on her face.

I think the idea there is that he was using some sort of enchantment, the same kind he used on Théoden, but it made my skin crawl to see Éowyn so passive.

I have to disagree sepdet, (again), to me that scene was one of the strongest of the entire TTT movies, in a psychological aspect that is.
What I think PJ wanted to show is the deeper connection these two characters have: they are both very lonely at a crowded court, they are both struggling for some kind of recognition, looking for someone who will see through the appearances and they are both outcasts.
I believe this is not very far from the book, and I think that - when Éowyn leans into the touch - you get a pretty good idea of exactly *how* lonely she is, how much she longs for someone who understands her, who sees her for what she is, who would want her te be free and strong... Gríma's analysis of her is quite correct.

I think in this scene there is no enchantment, just intense loneliness. I don't think it's fair to Éowyn to not grant her this moment of weakness, since as you said yourself, she's a psychologically challanged character and this kind of loneliness, of willingness to give up the fight *would* be inherent to her personality.
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 02, 2003 12:07
Everyone seems to have some interesting views on this topic, and I thought I'd add my two cents worth. I like both book and movie Eowyn equally, and to be truthful, I didn't think there was such a lot of difference between them. I think the reason movie Eowyn is more happy I guess is because she is off to Helm's Deep with Theoden, Aragorn and the lot. In the book she was sent off to hide at Dunharrow, when she wanted to ride with her Uncle. Movie Eowyn gets to do this, so obviously she is not going to be as lonely.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a very serious problem with her interaction with Grima, so much that it took me a long time to accept her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to disagree sepdet, (again), to me that scene was one of the strongest of the entire TTT movies, in a psychological aspect that is.
What I think PJ wanted to show is the deeper connection these two characters have: they are both very lonely at a crowded court, they are both struggling for some kind of recognition, looking for someone who will see through the appearances and they are both outcasts.

I agree with Figwit on this one. Grima and Eowyn do have a deeper connection, because of their loneliness. And recall, again that at this point in the movie, Eowyn is even more alone, seeing as Eomer is banished. So it seems reasonable to give her a moment of weakness here. I really love this scene, IMO it's one of the many nice character moments in TTT.
Arcuiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2003 09:34
Wen i reread LOTR last month the first thing that struck me was how much I had forgotten. But the second thing was how much I admired and emphathised with Eowyn. I agree with:
However, the cool, trapped Eowyn in the book is a very complex and painfully true character, epitomizing what you otherwise don't really see in Tolkien much-- the situation of human women in Middle-Earth, the exception that proves the rule. She's a very psychologically believable soul. You've got to admire her, and yet she's almost painful to watch.

That is really true. I want to be Eowyn when reading the book but in the film I was put off by her appearance (she has blond hair and I dont! ha!) and I doubt it will be as good in ROTK when she realises how out of her league Aragorn is.
Book always and forever!
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 09, 2003 06:33
I don't know why, but I instantly disliked movie Éowyn. Please don't kill me! I think she is a very interesting character and Miranda Otto's portrayl is accurate, but there was something bout her that rankled. I liked her a lot when I read the book because she changed my opinion that Tolkien can't write women, and I think her personality and relationships develop well in the book.

About three days after I joined this site, I sudenly liked her! Now how does that make sense? Book Éowyn for me still, though.
Kiss
Erhithiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2003 09:52
Movie Eowyn, for sure.

The book Eowyn is powerful, but the Eowyn in the film gives her so much more depth...Her emotions are pulled to the surface and conveyed in a way I can totally relate to ....
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 19, 2003 07:47
I guess I like Movie Éowyn better. Well, she's a real "hero" in the movies, perfect in all ways, she's not that in the book.
It will be interresting to take a little closer look on Éowyn in RotK - if the movie follows the book, she'll be fighting against the witch-king, I suppose. Something like that will probably happen in the movie too, because if you look at the pictures on http://www.lordoftherings.net you'll see Aragorn sitting next to Éowyns bed. It's very alike the book.
Well, I'm reallly looking forward to RotK - I think it will be the best of the three movies. At least the book was great.

What do you think?

Nevthónîel
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 12:38
I Prefer the Movie Eowyn too :heart: Just because in the movie, you can see her! And It's great to watch her
Eowyn22
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 06:38
I'd have to say the the movie Eowyn:heart: because she seems tougher & you see more of her.
Lady_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 07:37
Book Eowyn. I didn't like the way Eowyn was much more empowered in the films. The sword scene in Edoras was nice, but she was being too tough for me.
Then again, I did love the scene in Rotk where Aragorn turns her down. She gave a good emotional performance in that film.
gothic_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 01:33
I prefer the movie version of Eowyn She's great in the book too, obviously.
ladyeowen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2004 05:12
i totaly love the book version better, in the book she seems strong but mysterious in the movie she seems like she is only strong after she knew she couldnt get aragorn and they make its seem like thats all she wanted
Rik
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 03:10
Book.
I think the movie Éowyn vs. Witch-King scene says it all. :dizzy:
Ithil623
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 07:13
Eowyn is my favorite character, and I can't say I wasn't a bit disappointed with Movie!Eowyn. Miranda was wonderful and I love her to death (esp. after that scene with Grima), her voice, her apperance, everything around her was Eowyn-ish. What got me was her interaction with Aragorn. I love the scene with the sword, the caged line always being my favorite, but it was the direction the movie took afterwards that got me. She seems completly swooned over his words. In the book she was tougher,she didn't let pretty words get to her.
"...Yet the deeds will be no less valiant because they are unpraised." And she answered: 'All your words are but to say: you are a woman and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.' Eowyn to Aragorn,The Passing of the Grey Company, RotK.
I find myself mad at the movie sometimes because it feels like it took some of her best lines and made total "Eowyn-swoon-over-Aragorn" moments of them. The movies show a much softer side of Eowyn, laughter, smiles, hopeful happiness. That's okay, but I like book Eowyn much better.

[Edited on 7/3/2004 by Ithil623]
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 06:08
I find myself mad at the movie sometimes because it feels like it took some of her best lines and made total "Eowyn-swoon-over-Aragorn" moments of them. The movies show a much softer side of Eowyn, laughter, smiles, hopeful happiness. That's okay, but I like book Eowyn much better.

I disagree somewhat with the notion about the "swoon-over-Aragorn" moments. I think they made a lot of the love triangle, the "thing" between Aragorn and Eowyn, with the advertising and trailers, where actually, in the movies, it was quite clear, at least to me (but maybe it was just my wish he remain true to Arwen), that the relationship was somewhat one-sided. She did, in fact, love him, but like he said, she only loved the idea of him. And I think he made it clear to her that his heart was meant for another.

I agree with you though that the book Eowyn is better - she is a more interesting character. I did think though, that Mirando Otto did a good job of showing Eowyn's complex nature.
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 08:41
book Eowyn all the way!i completely agree with Figwit...both your posts.

I just admire Miranda's job in the films but really i cant stand her character there...im not a big Eowyn fan even of the book one but really that one is much better...
and i think they gave her too much screen time in the films (ok....waiting to get killed now!lol!)...ppl just say there is too much Arwen in the films but i feel like its the other way round...Eowyn just seems to be always around and i agree with Ithil623 about the "Eowyn-swoon-over-Aragorn" thing...she was just too kinda "girlish" in some way.
_LadyEowyn_
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 09:23
and i think they gave her too much screen time in the films (ok....waiting to get killed now!lol!)...ppl just say there is too much Arwen in the films but i feel like its the other way round...Eowyn just seems to be always around and i agree with Ithil623 about the "Eowyn-swoon-over-Aragorn" thing...she was just too kinda "girlish" in some way.

In the book, Eowyn is a much more major character than Arwen. Arwen is mentioned, and just appears at the end in a way, and alot of people when they first read the books often wonder; "where did she come from?"
Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't give Arwen any screen time at all, I'm just saying that Eowyn does deserve that screen time.
I never once in the films saw her "swoon" over him. Yes, she had the idea that she loved him, but Aragorn proved her wrong. She did not swoon.
Brandi
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 10:48
I like Eowyn in both book and films. Miranda did a good job with a difficult to portray character to me. Let's be honest here. Women with colder personalities don't rate well in popularity usually. They take longer to get to know and we are usually programmed to think that's more how men do things. Women are supposed to be gracious and warm.

And I think Eowyn and Arwen show two sides to womanhood. Eowyn doesn't want to wither in what she feels is a cage and Arwen feels no restriction in the same place...as far as the books go. I just don't like much how they twisted Arwen in the movies.

Eowyn is for the women who want more than what they're supposed to be grateful for. She doesn't want to be a guy but she doesn't want to be overlooked either. Why can't she have it all? Who decides that?

Arwen was Aragorn's strength, his reason for going on. She is every bit as strong as Eowyn but without a sword. As far the books go.

These two show one of the things I hate about gender equality. It's as if once women made it plain they didn't want to be chattel anymore we're also supposed to give up wanting to be traditional too. It's either one way or the other which is not equality at all. I say they're both good characters.

I like Eowyn in both books and films. Miranda did a good job with her.
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2004 01:52
Arwen might appear just "at the end" but it's a whole chapter even if in the appendices...if they are in teh book it means they are part of the book and Professor Tolkien really liked that part of the story too. What's more she might be "just mentioned" in the books but she plays an important part in Aragorn's decision to take up his role as King of Gondor..but this is an Eowyn thread so better quit it here!
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 12:23
In the book, Eowyn is a much more major character than Arwen. Arwen is mentioned, and just appears at the end in a way, and alot of people when they first read the books often wonder; "where did she come from?"
Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't give Arwen any screen time at all, I'm just saying that Eowyn does deserve that screen time.
I do not agree. Like Vale_Undomiel mentioned, the story of Arwen and Aragorn is a full single chapter, which was adapted beautifully in the movies. Eowyn is not a major character at all, just "one of the important "second role" characters, like Gríma, Théoden, and so on.

I prefer book Eowyn better. She is much more complex than shown in the movies, though Miranda Otto did a wonderful job. But I have the strange feeling that movie Eowyn is like a girl's dream: beautiful, strong, courageous (which she was not at all), some sort of Supergirl only without special powers, while in the book, she was a young girl, restless at heart, lonely, longing for death and finally found peace as Faramir's wife. Uhm, like Figwit mentioned already, I guess. I doubt if the professor ment Eowyn to be a Supergirl, though.
Brandi
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2004 03:39
I don't think Eowyn came off as a supergirl in the movie at all. Eowyn had all her clothes on. She didn't sleep with anyone. She didn't fight off enemies like she was a mutant. She's not stunningly beautiful either. She was courageous but that is not being without fear .... that's doing something anyway in the presence of fear which is not super at all.

Why shouldn't girls be strong, beautiful, and courageous? It's not impossible and examples are everywhere of these women in real life.

_LadyEowyn_
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2004 09:02
I do not agree. Like Vale_Undomiel mentioned, the story of Arwen and Aragorn is a full single chapter, which was adapted beautifully in the movies. Eowyn is not a major character at all, just "one of the important "second role" characters, like Gríma, Théoden, and so on.

OK, fine. Eowyn and Arwen deserve as much screen time as eachother. And I love the Aragorn and Arwen love story, I just like book Arwen way better than film Arwen, because I don't think Liv does a great job I must say.

yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 04, 2005 02:09
My comments from the Eowyn's loss thread.

I loved Eowyn. I agree that with all the losses she had it's no wonder she was somewhat emotionless. She might've tried to detach herself emotionally so she couldn't get hurt. It's no wonder she did so. Anyone would've.

But in the end she handled the situation quite strongly and probably better than anyone else could have.

I still say Eowyn should've had more screen time.

I agree with _LadyEowyn_ in that I also prefered Book Arwen to Movie Arwen.

[Edited on 5/9/2005 by yankeegirl]
Rhysenn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2005 02:35
I agree with Rik back there. She wasn't as cold in the movie, which i think took away some from her character. And the look on her face in the movie when she confronts the Witch King...she looks terrified. Granted, the Witch King is terrifying. But none of the men ever had looks on their faces like that. Whatever happened to "Still she did not blench"?
Yaviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 12:24
I not sure anyone will understand this, but i'll try!!

In the movie i think that Eowyn seems, in a way, more human (shes more friendly and she shows her emotions) but i think that Tolkien meant her to be cold because she was trapped by the roles woman probably would have played in a society like the Rohirrim (as someone has mentioned before).
So i think over all, i like the book Eowyn better because Tolkien gave her a more complicated character, which wasn't completely shown in the movies.

But don't get me wrong, i love the movies and Miranda Otto played Eowyn really well!!!!
Belegren
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 09:17
That is a very tough choice to make, between the two different Eowyns. I felt that Eowyn in the books was stronger than the Eowyn in the movies, and that is what attracts me to her. I would have to say that it would have to be the Eowyn from the books.
Tyrann
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 05:27
Movie Eowyn for sure!!!! Miranda Otto was a great actress in showing Eowyn's feistyness and insecurity. It also showed well how Eowyn wanted to be free from her burdens. And she's good looking too! :drool:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email