Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
Post 1.III. Three Is Company (Gildor and the Elves)
on: May 24, 2003 06:59
What do you notice about the ways that Sam and Frodo deal with their fears? What do you think about Sam's reaction to finally seeing elves?

How did the elves help Frodo? Do you think they gave him hope or more despair? Why do you suppose the Elves are so cryptic in the information they do choose to impart to the hobbits?

What do you think of this excerpt:
"But where shall I find courage?? asked Frodo. "That is what I chiefly need."
"Courage is found in unlikely places," said Gildor. "Be of good hope!..."

Does Frodo already have courage that he is over looking?

Remember, you don't HAVE to answer all of these questions...you may pick and choose. I allow it.

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
Post RE: 1.III. Three Is Company (Gildor and the Elves)
on: May 26, 2003 12:22
Remember, you don't HAVE to answer all of these questions...you may pick and choose

*hides herself from Trig*

What do you notice about the ways that Sam and Frodo deal with their fears?

Sam can´t hide anything going on with him... (except when he´s eavesdropping ) and expresses that by putting on a brave face and admiting his flaws... Frodo, on the other hand, is the introspective kind of hobbitman (if that is possible ). He keeps his problems to himself afraid of putting what he prizes most in danger. That, for me, is no fear, but apprehension, since he´s dealing with things himself, putting his on life at stake to keep others safe... and this leads me to the next question:

What do you think of this excerpt:
"But where shall I find courage?? asked Frodo. "That is what I chiefly need."
"Courage is found in unlikely places," said Gildor. "Be of good hope!..."

Does Frodo already have courage that he is over looking?

Yes, it´s natural in him. It flows burstling in his vains. The uneasyness, the apprehension... he can´t wait, but at the same time hesitates because he is unaware of his qualities... :dizzy: I guess.

How did the elves help Frodo? Do you think they gave him hope or more despair? Why do you suppose the Elves are so cryptic in the information they do choose to impart to the hobbits?

You know when they say "I saw the light"? Yes, that´s what I think happened to Frodo. He put a few things off his chest, heard words of wisdom and hope from beings he thought of as almost divine... Gildor is careful because he doesn´t know how much Gandalf revealed and he did what any friend/family would do: he didn´t picture the whole thing to frodo cos it´s impossible to know for sure what he´d do. he could stand up and head to wherever the should but he could as well lose his mind. Once more, Elves were being wise.

What do you think about Sam's reaction to finally seeing elves?

I think it´s beautiful!!!! I felt as if that was one little thing for many, but a great deal for Sam... it was like that warm cup of tea or that evening watching tv in the arms of someone you love... you know, that little thing that makes you happy for hours and hours to come... I think he finally found what he was looking for, like a personal journey, and knew that he would compare everything to it for as long as he lived.... and would crave for that dazzling feeling again and again and again... that can´t be put into words... :love:
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: 1.III. Three Is Company (Gildor and the Elves)
on: May 27, 2003 06:46
What do you notice about the ways that Sam and Frodo deal with their fears ?

At this point it seems that whatever Sams fears they are directly relate to Frodo's well-being, comfort and safety - I don't believe that much of the bigger picture of the quest has sunk in with Sam yet; even when the group is confronted w/ another appearence by the Black riders but are saved by the coming of the Wood-elves, Sam has to be pulled back. "Elves, exclaimed Sam in a hoarse whisper"..."What about the Elves?" said Sam, too excited to trouble about the rider. "Can't we go see them?"

Frodo's fears are of the great unknown that he is walking into, he has no idea where or what has happened to Gandalf and Gildor's disturbance about the news of Gandalf not meeting w/ Frodo certainly doesn't do much to allieviate any of his anxiety about the trip. Plus, i think he's concerned about involving his friends into something that he knows is gonna be dangerous AND wonders if he will have enough courage ( I think he has plenty that hasn't yet been tapped) to take the ring to be destroyed, that's alot for a little Hobbit to contemplate !!!!!!!

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email