Register

Author Topic:
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
Post 1.X. Strider
on: June 30, 2003 04:46
Ah, the introduction of Strider...

Do you agree with Aragorn when he says that Frodo has been too careless in his journey? In what ways has he? in what ways has he not? Do you see any kind of allusion with the character of Strider, could he possibly be a subconscious manifestation of someone or something? How do you feel about Butterbur? What was your first impression of Strider, prior to Gandalf's letter? How did your impression change afterwards? Who do you feel is more correct: Sam who remains suspicious of Strider or Frodo who is more inclined to trust him?

And last but not least, any thoughts on Merry's encounter?

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: 1.X. Strider
on: July 01, 2003 05:09
Who do you feel is more correct: Sam who remains suspicious of Strider or Frodo who is more inclined to trust him?

there's a parallel between this part and something that occurs way way later... which I won't mention here

I always felt that Frodo was more right: somehow I trust his judgement better than I do Sam's - but I can't say why really, maybe because I always try to see the good in people and that's what Frodo tries to do

he has a very positive attitude towards people and the world in general: he is wise, but he's not afraid to trust - to have faith if you wish... that's also an important theme in Tolkien's work it seems to me (at least so far): to put your trust in other people (like Gandalf trusts Frodo and the other Hobbits trust Frodo, and the Hobbits trust Bombadil...)

LadyAdaneth
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 01, 2003 07:21
I always liked Butterbur as a sort of idealised landlord; central to community affairs, keeping account of what is going on (even in his scatterbrained way) and being unfazed by wizards or stray parties of hobbits turning up amongst the locals. He is also well drawn as an example of the complacency of the local folk who are so sheltered from the affairs of the rest of the world, although he has noticed signs of some unusual comings and goings. I think Tolkien also perhaps drew on personal observations of the common folk of England at war - horrible things could happen around them, and they'd dust themselves down next morning and carry on with life. Ponies are acquired and supplies supplied as though the party were just setting off on a picnic!
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 03, 2003 04:50
No, I don't agree with Aragorn that Frodo has been "too" careless on his journey but considering that Aragorn ( by his own description) has lived his whole life hunting, wandering and being hunted it would seem so to him. Frodo is no less careless than anyone else whose comfortable, peaceful life has been turned completely upside-down/inside-out...you do the best you can with what you have and what you know. My impression of Aragorn after Gandalf's letter was pretty much the same, I always felt that he was a [b][/b]"good" character but Gandalf alludes to his back story for the first time and another small piece of the puzzle fits in ( this guy has a huge role to play in the future or my name ain't Naurlas and I think you're starting to see the gathering/fellowship forming...Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Aragorn...next?

Now, I finally understand a few of the images in Merry's dream/premonition in the previous chapter...the feeling of drowning and engulfing darkness.
McDLT
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2003 03:33
I do think that Frodo was being careless. It seems to me that he didn't take Gandalf's warnings fully to heart. He does seem to treat the Ring a bit like a trinket.

Do you see any kind of allusion with the character of Strider, could he possibly be a subconscious manifestation of someone or something?

I think that you might be reading too much into the Strider character too soon.

I'm with Sam when it comes to my first impression of Strider, before and after the letter. If truth be known Strider could be in cohoots with Butterbur for all we know. :evil: lol

Merry's encounter is creepy and rather scary. I wonder if he is drawn to them and what kind of powers the Black Riders have.

[Edited on 10/7/2003 by McDLT]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 17, 2003 11:54
Big Mistakje- If you are trying to be low key and unnoticed- don't go sit in the local watering hole- never works- locals always notice strangers- especially when visitors from The Shire are rare.
Just based on the decision to visit the pub I'd say that Strider's comment about a lack of caution was correct.
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 18, 2003 10:56
Well, seeing that Gandalf did leave a message for Frodo at the Prancing Pony, he also assumed that once in Bree Frodo would look for a place to rest and eat before they continued on to Rivendell, I think that it was natural that he would of stopped there. Even though I agree that Frodo hasn't fully realized what he is carrying, he is still following a path that would be familiar to his lifestyle.
gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2003 12:41
I think Frodo was a bit careless--and his troubles reflect that.

Before reading Gandalf's letter, I wanted to trust Strider. He seems rough, but good. After Gandalf's letter, I was happy ('he's not evil! Yea!') Strider is very clever with his words, avoiding what need not be said. I must confess I was disappointed when Butterbur burst in right as he was about to tell Frodo who he was. Oh well...

Samwise will always be Samwise--untrusting of anyone who is a potential threat to his master, which is a very good thing for Frodo. But I trust Frodo's judgement more on this one--his judgement sounds right.

If I were Merry, I probably would have done the same thing--so I can't say what he did was stupid! For what he knows, I think Merry did the right thing, and thank goodness he wasn't taken!
rhia
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2003 02:34
If Frodo was one of the wise I would say that he was too careless on his journey. But Frodo was a hobbit and this was his first time leaving the Shire so I think that he was as careful as he could have been. I think that Butterbur tires his hardest to what he thinks is right but I don't think that he is a character of much importance and I don't believe that he understands the importance of the things that are going on around him. Before Gandalf's letter I thought that Strider was a spy for Sauron. After reading Gandalf's letter I still wasn't convinced. I guess I have more incommon with Sam than I though! I think that Frodo's instincts could be correct but that in a case of this much importance he needed to be able to use more than his instincts and the person in question for him to create a sound opinion of Strider. I think that Strider is hipocrytical acuse Frodo of being careless and then telling him that he should trust a perfect stranger. I think that Sam has the right idea. Or at least this was what I thought when I was reading the book for the first time.
kayriah
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2003 12:17
well, i do agree that he could have done things a bit better but Frodo didnt completely know what he was doing. Like they say in the books, before Gandalf came everything in the Shire was always peaceful and happy and the hobbits never really had to do anything that Frodo did in one day than the hobbits had to do in their entire lives! Well, I am being a bit overexaggerated and I dont want to make it seem like the shire is boring. But it was never quite that dangerous or anything. *Happy Reading*
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email