Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
Post Collectible Books ABOUT LotR/JRRT
on: July 07, 2003 06:12
Besides the obvious editions of The Hobbit, LotR, and The Silmarillion, there are many other wonderful books on the subject of Middle-earth. This is a thread to discuss reference books, books on the making of the movies, biographies of Tolkien, art books, etc. concerning our favorite topic!

My most exciting recent find was coming across a copy of Bilbo's Last Song , a wonderful little volume of JRRT quotes and illustrations by Pauline Baynes. I wasn't even looking for anything like this, and there it was beckoning from a shelf at Borders. I just love book serendipity!:heart: Anyone else seen it?

What are your recommendations?
Aniron_Valandil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Collectible Books ABOUT LotR/JRRT
on: July 11, 2003 03:50
I havent seen Bilbo's last song. Is there alot of commentary in it? I really don't care for all the commentary, like in the The Lost Tales that I'm reading right now.

I have a bunch of the movie books. The middle earth atlas, which I LOVE, great to refer to while reading.

Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: July 11, 2003 06:54
I havent seen Bilbo's last song. Is there alot of commentary in it? I really don't care for all the commentary, like in the The Lost Tales that I'm reading right now.
No, no. Bilbo's Last Song is all quotations from The Hobbit as well as LotR, illustrated with the incredible artwork of Pauline Baynes.
Aniron_Valandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 12:51
Ah, OK.

Do you know of any more that read more like the SIL (without all the commentary)

gil_galad
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2003 05:56
Beside LotR, The Hobbit and The Sil I got the books "Unfinished Tales of NĂºmenor and Middle-earth" by Tolkien, "The making of The Lord of the Rings" by Brian Sibley, "The Lord of the Rings-The Two Towers The official Guide" (here I don't know if that's the original translation, I got it in German) by Jude Fisher and "The Lord of the Rings Official Movie Guide" by Brian Sibley.

gil_galad
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email