Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
Post Fanfic authors - please read!
on: October 09, 2003 07:24
I discovered today that very few of you have submitted stories to the AU/Crossover category... which is a bit odd considering how many AU/Crossover stories I've validated!

In the administration area, we can't actually see which category the story is submitted to, so all we can do is trust you to submit your stories to the appropriate categories (AU/Crossover/Books/Movies/Poetry). The alternative is that we go to the fanfic section of the site, and view every story separately, which takes a lot of time. The faster we read your stories, the faster they are also added to the archieve, so I'm sure you don't want to make it any slower.

I will go through the database this weekend, and move all the AUs/Crossovers to the section where they belong to, but I can't do that every day; it also takes a lot of time, you see...

It is clearly stated in the rules of submitting fan fictions, that you *must* submit your story to the appropriate category. Stories submitted to a wrong category will be rejected.

If you're still wondering what an AU/Crossover is, to make it short, an AU it is a story that doesn't follow Tolkien's original plotlines. For example, a story where Arwen marries Legolas instead of Aragorn, is an AU. But the changes don't have to be this big, *any* changes of this nature make the story AU. A crossover is a story, that has characters from other books/movies/TV shows/etc. For example, if Harry Potter is magically transported to Lothlorien and meets Galadriel, the story is a crossover.
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fanfic authors - please read!
on: October 10, 2003 06:45
Um, would it be AU if it's something that happened in the characters past prior to LOTR? I could have sworn that crossovers were not excepted on this site until recently, just wondering if they had always been excepted or if this is a new development.
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: October 10, 2003 08:52
If one of the Fellowship members would turn out to be a girl ( ::cough:: beard ::cough:: ) but everything else sort of stays the same, would thát be AU?
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 10:19
Are you kidding me Figgy? Any characters sudden transformation to a girl would definitely fall into the AU category, and probably also to humor genre...

To DaughterofNimrodel:

We only started to accept Crossovers a few weeks ago.

Stories about a character's past aren't necessarily AU. For example: we had a story in our archieve about Elrond loving a mortal girl. This happened a long time before he met Celebrían, and the girl died (naturally, since she was mortal...). Tolkien never said Elrond had loved a mortal, but he also never said Elrond hadn't. We know very little about Elrond's past, so it could have been possible (though not probable). We also have a story that tells about Elrond's second daughter. Now Tolkien clearly stated Elrond and Celebrían only had 3 children (and one daughter), so this goes against his storylines, and is AU.

I hope I managed to explain this in an understandable way...

I also want to make it clear that I don't have anything against AU stories. Many of them are very good, that is the reason why we decided to start accepting them to the archieve! But some people don't like reading them, and it wouldn't be fair to them if we published them in the Books/Movies categories, when we have a very own category for them.

I also want to keep our archieve well organized... I'm sure you want too, it'll make reading the stories much easier, so please be careful when you submit your stories!
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 10:38
Hey, I've heard about the Elrond ones. In fact I think I actually e-mail back and forth with the person who wrote them, I believe it's the same person with both stories.
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 10:32
Are you kidding me Figgy? Any characters sudden transformation to a girl would definitely fall into the AU category, and probably also to humor genre...

No it wouldn't . Just you wait and see....
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 11:54
Ohh! Now I just can't wait Figgy!

Patience is soooooo not my virtue...
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 11:01
well, you'll have to be veeeery patient (but I'll try to speed it up a bit - I've been writing for a year now, so I suppose I can already sumbit the first chapter)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email