Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Arah
Council Member
Send Message
Post Custom LOTR 12
on: October 13, 2003 09:39
In my humble opinion, the official "Barbie" sized LOTR dolls kinda... lacked something. To put it kindly. So I thought it would be great to customize my own.
I was wondering if anyone else had already attempted this, or is working on something similar? I would love some tips or suggestions. I've already done the Legolas doll (from a GI Joe), if you'd like to see pics, PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you.

ANY help would be great!

Added 10/23/03

Okay, after re-reading this, I think that maybe I should clarify a few things. I'm wanting to customize some 11 1/2 - 12 inch dolls/action figures to make characters from the movies that haven't been made (or those that didn't satisfy...).
For example, The Two Towers Legolas doll looks fine, but I wanted one with "real" hair! :drool: So I customized a G.I. Joe to fit the bill. However, I can't for the life of me find a descent-looking Arwen, so I plan on using a Barbie doll.

What I'm asking is:
Has anyone else here ever attempted such a project? Does anybody have any tips on how certain things could be done, i.e. - How to make weapons for that scale? I can sew, and I make my own patterns, so clothing isn't really an issue, but things like accessories are harder to do.
Just looking for creative input!

Thanks

[Edited on 23/10/2003 by Arah]

[Edited on 23/10/2003 by Arah]
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Custom LOTR 12
on: December 05, 2003 01:13
I just love action figure customization
When it comes to making weapons for your treasured creations you got to consider what kind of accessories they might need.
In the case of arwen I'm guessing Hadafang, which you could carve out of wood or cut out of quite thin metal( adding the wooden handle ).
Also many great accessories can be made from themo or similar craft material that can be baked in the oven.
Arah
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 06:28
Update! I've discovered Sculpey Super-Flex!:love: It's kind of like a clay, i.e. you can mold it and shape it like regular clay, but when you bake it, it takes on the characteristics of plastic. I've completed Arwen (Chase Outfit) except for Hadhafang, so I'm going to try using this stuff for it.
My new question: Has anybody else ever used this stuff? Any idea if you can use it for boots, or any tips on using it?
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 06:21
You can use it for making boots, but it wont be easy....
That's some seriously fiddly work.

I would think the best way to make boots out of this stuff is to do it in two halves and then join them together before cooking ( being sure to join both halves fully ).

Also a handy tip is to make a few tiny little stands for your sculpt to stand on while'st it is cooking, dont attach your item/s too firmly as you dont want them to stick together, little lumps of the same sculpting material can be used to for this purpose.

I bet it will look great when you've finished
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email