Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week - Oct 27th (2.X)
on: October 27, 2003 03:56
'Why are you so unfriendly?' said Boromir. 'I am a true man, neither thief nor tracker. I need your Ring: that you know now; but I give you my word that I do not desire to keep it. Would you not at least let me make trial of my plan? Lend me the Ring!'

from~ LOTR 2.X." The Breaking of the Fellowship"

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week - Oct 27th (2.X)
on: October 27, 2003 04:26
Poor, poor Boromir...that is what this quote makes me feel. It says everything about him and yet it can be interpreted in so many ways.

It almost gives me the feeling of the slinker and stinker episodes that Gollum would have. He says that he is a true man but that he needs the Ring. He wants to try to use it according to his plan, but then he says give it to me!

Boromir wants desperately to help his people and he is beginning to see that it is hopeless to defend his home through the use of arms alone. He needs the Ring to help his people but I don't think he really understands what it would do to him or them if he brought it there. This quote makes me sad for him, very sad for poor Boromir
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: October 27, 2003 04:50
I agree with Nienna-of-the-Valar - poor Boromir...

You can sense his desperation ... his desperate need for *something* to help Gondor. But you can also sense the effect the Ring is having on him - was Frodo being unfriendly? No, he was being cautious - it must have been the Ring that was distorting Boromir's views...
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: October 28, 2003 12:09
This quote, indeed, says it all for me: to me it's the ultimate proof that Boromir wasn't merely 'corrupted', but was seeking for something that he couldn't have: immortality - the chance to save his people.

I never understood why most readers didn't like Boromir untill they saw him on screen: I always felt that making him completely succumb to the Ring's corruption weakened him, and didn't make him any more sympathetic.
I know that Bean's performance has a lot to do with it, but still...

This is just another proof of how great a storyteller Tolkien really was: Boromir, though he hardly gets to say or do anything, has such psychological depth and he's so real...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email