Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week - Nov 2nd /03 (3.I.)
on: November 02, 2003 03:57
From The Two Towers Chapter 1 "The Departure of Boromir
"Thus passes the heir of Denethor, Lord of the Tower Guard! This is a bitter end. Now the Company is all in ruin. It is I that have failed. Vain was Gandalf's trust in me. What shall I do now? Boromir has laid it on me to go to Minas Tirith, and my heart desires it: but where are the Ring and the bearer? How shall I find them and save the Quest from disaster?"

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week - Nov 2nd /03 (3.I.)
on: November 02, 2003 04:56
Excellent choice, PbHf! I really like this quote, because it's one of the few times when Aragorn wavers - although k sort of changed my mind on that one, a few days ago
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: November 02, 2003 05:18
I also really like this quote. I'm with k about Aragorn too, I never really saw him as terribly arrogant. In fact I thought he was quite unsure of himself many times during FotR, especially after Gandalf fell in Moria. Another great quote choice PbHf!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: November 03, 2003 05:52
At this point in time Aragorn is probably at the most important crossroad he will ever face in his life. he now has to make a decision he has been postponing ever since the Company left Lothlorien. To accompany Frodo on his dificult mission or to seek his destiny as the King of Gondor

Something I find interesting about this quote is that Aragorn didn't even mention the third choice he had, and the one he finally makes. He laments about either going to Minas Tirith or helping Frodo but at this point he doesn't even consider the path he finally chooses - to follow the orcs that have taken Merry and Pipppin captive.
This is a noble choice as Aragorn still feels responsible for the welfare of the two Hobbits, but what chance do the three of them have of defeating a troop of orcs? Does he really feel that they have a chance of success or is this decision just a desparate hope to salvage something from the disasters of the day? Is he avoiding Minas Tirith and the the problems that may result from announcing himself as the heir to the throne?
I'll move my questions to here in the discussion of this chapter so that they can be discussed there

[Edited on 3/11/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email