Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
DragonWingz
Council Member
Send Message
Post Hints on learning Quenya
on: November 11, 2003 04:03
Hi , I'm kinda new to this site but I am desparately trying to learn Quenya (not going so well 'cause I got exams TOMORROW :cry: ). So If you got any comment/tips/help an' stuff plz post here :drool: ...

[Edited on 11/11/2003 by Iavas]

[Edited on 5/11/2007 by Malinornë]
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Hints on learning Quenya
on: November 11, 2003 10:30

If it ought to be "laid down plain and simple", and as quickly as possible (even though such a thing is not logically possible with the learning of any language!), I think I would recommend these five sites for one to make use of...

1. TolkLang's Quenya Pronunciation Guide - Essential!

2. Helge Fauskanger's Quenya Page - The condensed grammar

3. Helge's Wordlist - Like certain natural languages, Quenya also has words whose declensional stems are different than their standalone forms...

4. Alex Grigny de Castro's Noun and Verb Tables - Things don't get much clearer than this!

5. Parma Penyanë Quettaron - The neo-coinages and newly revealed words

Much more stuff can be found around them; plus, let's not forget the Quenya Workbook here at CoE, either!

[Edited on 11/11/2003 by Elhath]
Falagar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2003 11:24
Buying The Lost Road (HoME 5) and The War of the Jewels (HoME 11) would also be a good thing, though not (I believe) necessary. They are good if you want a deeper understanding of the development of the languages.

Though they cost money, of course.
janet
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2003 02:11
And you can start with the workbook Quenya. Is not so extended as the ardalambion course, but I think it is quite good.
lindele
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 03:25
The workbook is made up of really good summaries, but if you have any questions and don't want to go through the entire ardalambion course my suggestion is post it here on the forum (well, duh) or search for it under the ardalambion course topics.
mireandune
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 05:26
The workbook here is awesome, but I do recommend toiling through the Ardalambion course. Extremely wordy, but very thourough, and chock full of info. The purchase of a three inch binder (minimum) is a must for this, LOL!!!
Elvinman
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 06:32
Is there any sites that actually tell you how to prouince it (like in the dic when they say Ex: bird (ber-da))
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 02:54
Can you explain what the exact problem is with the pronouncation? Is it concerning the 'R', the 'E' or maybe the stress? Have you checked out lesson one from this site and the Ardalambion site?

I do not know if it is helpful, but here: http://anon.salon.speedera.net/anon.salon/mp3s/tolkien2.mp3 is a soundfile of the Namárië, which is given as mr. Tolkien's pronouncation.
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 10:10
Is there any sites that actually tell you how to prouince it (like in the dic when they say Ex: bird (ber-da))

Have a look at the links in the "Quenya News and Resources" thread - there should be some useful tips there. But, these resources are all concerning Quenya, which is not the same thing as the language used in your signature...
Laiquenda
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 11:22
:blush: I am new to the Quenya language and downloaded the Ardalambian course to CD ROM so I can take each lesson when I feel ready. I would recommend it to any trying to learn the language but especially pay attention to the lesson summaries if you find the actual lessons too long to get through.
Frodogal
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 02:04
At the begining Dragonwing asked for tips here's one i have. You see I'm now on Lesson 5 or 6, and my trick for learning vocab is using/making flash cards. I take scratch paper and on one side write the elvish word, on the other side I write the english definition. It really helps, and then as I go to the next lesson I continue studying the other lessons vocab as well.
tonepoem
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 06:07
I just finished lesson 3, and the way I remember the vocab is (not only flash cards) but to write a paragraph of (mostly english ) but put in the Quenya words so that the paragraph tells a little story. SO far, I have three of these paragraphs.

i.e.

with the apsa, i has some masta and sáva (or pirya) then the sulpa and yávë. Leaving the porë on the table, i ate culuma and sulca with coimas. There was miruvórë and limpë that I did not touch.

For the vocab in the first lesson. It helps put the words in context. Just having "aspa" didn't stick, but when i read it in an eating context (as you can see, I eat a lot, but drink little) it sticks better.

[Edited on 14/1/2005 by tonepoem]
CalimaElen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2005 03:19
I like your idea, Tonepoem! Myself, I've been making flashcards, but I'm on lesson seven right now and the amount of flashcards I have is starting to get a bit unweildy. Flashcards do help though!
What also helps me remember words is to just mentally make up sentences, without writing anything down. Plus I try to translate things mentally all the time.. like, if I see an orange, I think "culuma", or if I'm thinking about eating some bread, I think "matinyë masta".
Hope that helps a bit..
Galadriel_Rules_All
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2007 02:55
DragonWingz
Here's my tip. For remembering vocabulary, I use a memory device thing that you can get to (I don't know how to do links, sorry!) from going to Languages, and then Extra Elvish Practice. You can use it for any language, actually. First, I put down the definition (for example: Masta's definition is bread) in A, then the Quenya word in B. There are more instructions when you get there. I also do what CalimaElen does; when I see my mom has put 'oranges' on the grocery list, I think of the Quenya word for it. ^_^
~Galadriel_Rules_All~
P.S. Sorry for the double post! ^_^
~Galadriel_Rules_All~

[Edited on 10/3/2007 by Galadriel_Rules_All]
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: March 10, 2007 12:15

P.S. Sorry for the double post! ^_^

I deleted the double... if you want to change or add something to your posts, please use the 'Edit' button at the bottom of the post. You can also remove a post altogether if you post something twice by accident.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email