Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post 3.II. The Riders of Rohan
on: November 11, 2003 09:50
Go Rohirrim! *clears throat* Okay, if anyone has any suggestions, pm me, if not, feel free to try to say something intelligent and / or entertaining about the following questions:

- How is the relationship between the three hunters? What is changing / has changed and why?

- How does the character of Éomer strike you from this chapter? Do you like him? How does he differ from / resemble the other Men we encountered so far (Barliman, Aragorn, Boromir)?

- What do we learn about the culture of the Rohirrim in this chapter?

PbHf's Quotes of the Week deal with Aragorn and ethics.

[Edited on 29/3/2004 by Figwit]
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post RE: 3.II. The Riders of Rohan
on: November 13, 2003 01:05
i think one of the major changes in the group is that aragorn really starts coming into his own in this chapter... he finally has a clear purpose and you really start to see just what hes capable of... this is also the first time he uses his title and heratige to get something.

i wonder if thats because he is using any means possible to get to merry and pippin quicker or if its just a natural thing because he feels like the rohirrim should know his status... i would go for the first option myself.

i think you get to see far more of the dwarf and elf abilities too... previously the book has focused on the hobbits, or how the characters are seen through the hobbits eyes. now though it doesnt so you get a clearer picture of the way they all behave.

eomer actually struck me when i first read the book as being like boromir... he certainly has some of the attributes, the pride, the love of his country and the kind of warrior attitude. i think when i first came across eomer i didnt much like him but by the end of hte chapter i had warmed to him a little.

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: 3.II. The Riders of Rohan
on: November 16, 2003 09:03
Here, Aragorn starts all more clearly to take a position as a leader, although he is still a bit unsure of himself: "Since we passed through the Argonath my choices have gone amiss." And, when the encounter with the Riders threatens to lead into a conflict, an "all for one and one for all" mentality surfaces - Legolas is ready to defend Gimli - but, it is the diplomacy from Aragorn's side that breaks the tension.

As k already said, Éomer resembles Boromir in many aspects. He is a soldier, a commanding officer, whose duty is to keep the enemies off his country. Therefore, it is very natural for him to be suspicious of the three strangers that seem to appear from nowhere, and are very secretive about their business. But, he is reasonable, and a man of honour, and after Aragorn has convinced him, he is ready to risk his own career and maybe even his life to help the Hunters.

I think Aragorn gives his companions a very good short course in the culture of the Rohirrim:
They are proud and wilful, but they are true-hearted, generous in thought and deed; bold but not cruel; wise but unlearned, writing no books but singing many songs, after the manner of the children of Men before the Dark Years.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email