12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Berieboennin
Council Member
Send Message
Post Archery!
on: October 10, 2004 06:10
Hi all...
Do you know anything about archery and would like to share it??? Well, here's the right place!!

Just to start the forum....
What should a good bow have? And what kind of bow should a rookie like myself use???

**Mod Note: Thread title edited by Goldsand for clarification

[Edited on 5/9/2005 by Goldsand]
JAazas
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Archery!
on: October 11, 2004 07:57
Hello,
I'm traying in real archery it's fantastick. Some times you realy fell like Legolas. You should try it! Anyway archery is a very compilcated thing to explane. Mayby next time....
elflover14
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2004 11:14
Hey,

Even before Legolas came along I enjoyed archery...If your a rookie I would try a compound bow they're much easier to shoot than a re-curve(like Legolas's) if you do try a compound bow get one that's easier to draw back if you can't draw it back you won't get too far!!lol! If a compound bow won't fit your budget(they are pretty expensive!) then I would recommend a 'practice' bow(I think it came from wal-mart) it's just a small bow that's made out of a material a little like fiberglass that's very easy to draw back. They don't shoot the straightest but they are good for beginners(my brother gave me one a long time ago when I first started archery)
I guess I should tell you about the arrows too! once again since your a beginner you should start out with a practice tip you can find those at wal-mart too...they're not nearly as sharp as broad heads and you don't have to be as careful where your shooting(I'm not saying don't be careful though!) when your more experienced you can get broad heads they come in many different styles so you should pick the one you think you would enjoy best!
Good luck in archery!! It's lots of fun to do!!

~elflover14~
Evenstar44
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2004 08:48
I think archery is far to complex to explain over the internet. I find it an enjoyable hobby when I am stessed or tense. It just calms me down sraight away. :love: :heart: :love:
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2004 12:49
I just got into archery recently although it's something I've wanted to try all my life. I have a compound bow, and, like elflover, I would recommend that for beginners. It cost about $65 I think. There's a very good article about archery on this site. Here's a link to it: http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Weapons&file=index&req=viewarticle&wartid=22
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2004 09:03
The only place I get to do archery is once a year at the Carolina Renaissance Faire. And with crappy plastic bows and arrows at that. It's fun as heck, but it's not a sport I could take up. I live in an apartment. Bow and Arrows + City = Bad. I could do it at my grandparents house, which is technically my home, but I live within walking distance of relatives, and they come through the woods to visit, or play in our yard all the time, so that would also be bad. I'd love for my college to offer archery, but they don't. I'm lucky they have horseback riding. I'll be going to the faire again this year, and my friend and I will mock one another's bad aim. I got one arrow to bounce off the "stall celing thing" one year. I got next to the bullseye a few times. Even though it was the first time I'd done it. That was 2 years ago. Last year I didn't know how to do it. (it had been a year), and I held the feathered part,and kinda burnt my fingers, and missed most of my "targets", but it was worth it to see my friend do a "Robin Hood Crotch Shot". The "targets" were painted on fabric? that was hung over haystacks. Well it was Target, "Robin Hood", Target. Robin, Target, Robin, Target. I have no interest in crossbows, I'm more interested in "lotr style"
Ninglorithiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2004 06:10
Aiya,

I've been an archer for about six years. I still consider myself a beginner. My bow is a composite yew longbow (composite meaning it was put together by layers rather than carved whole from a timber); it is a 30# bow with a 26 inch draw. As I say I am a beginner. Longbows differ from recurves, and are the simplest design; however they are not the simplest to shoot, and take some time to get accustomed to. You're not shooting with sights or peeps with a longbow.

In shopping for a bow, you should get someone at a sporting goods store that has knowledge of archery to help you determine the best bow for you. You'll need to determine your draw length (Here you'll find how to measure for that), and how many lbs. (noted as #, above) you can pull. Most adult beginners of slight build, or without strong arms, can pull as an absolute minimum anywhere from 10 to 15 lbs.

The method for determining your peak bow weight differs depending on whether you're trying out recurves, longbows, or compounds. Be sure you shop around, talk to a few sporting goods folks to make sure you've been given the proper assistance.

Hope this helps folks in their quest to find the perfect bow!

-Ninglorithiel
Runya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2004 04:49
Hi!
I have been an archer for most of my life and I find, as I am sure others have, thast it is very relaxing. I will go out when I am stressed or angry with something shoot a few rounds and I will be calm as if I had just woke up.
It is hard for me to truly tell you how to start I for one just picked up a bow that I could draw back and started shooting. But I can offer a few peices of advice. First I suggest that you get a pretty good bow. That is if you are no longer grow. if you are than any bow that you fancy would be fine.
Next comes the arrows. Whatever bow you get I suggest that you get some good arrows. If you get really crumy arrows the first rock you hit, by accident, it will shatter. I suggest you don't get plastic. You can ask the store which one to get.
That is about all I can offer you for now maybe latter I can offer you more advice. Good luck!
If you have any question you can give me an email.
-Runya-

[Edited on 16/8/2007 by Runya]
Nenyia
Elrond's Herald & Númenor Fanatic
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 12:21
Hullo everybody ! I just had my first archery lesson and it was wonderful !!! :disco: We used recurve bows, and mine had 25 lb. I agree with you all, it's so relaxing ! The only trouble is that I didn't use an arm-guard and now my left forearm is badly bruised (I have some ice on it right now, as I'm typing) Bruises left aside, I really enjoyed it and can't wait to shoot again ! :disco: :naughty: One thing I noticed is that I simply don't seem to get along very well with finger tabs - I know they offer good protection, but I don't like it when I don't feel the string
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2004 09:48
I've never used finger tabs before ... I have my Elven archery gloves instead

Does anyone know a good way of getting arrows out of shed doors ?
Nenyia
Send Message
on: October 25, 2004 12:03

Ermm, no :rolling: but it sounds like a tragic situation for that poor door :naughty:

Can anyone recommend some good exercises to strengthen the muscles needed for archery ?
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2004 08:13
Try push ups .. very good for your archery arms
lissewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2004 08:09
Hey! I'm also a beginning archer. I agree, compound bows are definitely easier for beginners. I have a compound bow. I've never had archery lessons, but my dad is a bow hunter so he helps me. Some day I would love to learn how to shoot a long bow. That would be so awesome! Compound bows definitely don't seem very elven.
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 10:48
i use to do those 1 week archrey course when i was little (between 7-9) during the holidays. i was so small the instructure had to bring in a special little bow for me to use.
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2004 07:46
I would love to do a archery course.. but theres no where near me that does it ( except for those horrible modern bows ) .

Nenyia
Send Message
on: November 09, 2004 11:05
Thanks for the tip, MirkwoodsArcher ! *runs off to do some push ups* :disco: I've also found this site with lots of interesting training info

Is anyone else having a hard time shooting a bow with smaller draw weight than what you're used to ? I've tried shooting a 18 lb. instead of a 22 lb. and nothing worked properly - it had no stability whatsoever :dizzy: :twitch:
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 10, 2004 02:39
*Proud member of Ferryfield Bowmen stollls in*
TEE HEE HEE!
Watcha mateys. Wouldn't call myself an expert in archery, but two years at the club this winter, one year with recurve... **Shudders** and one year with my ultra sexy bickerstaff long bow, which I love for ever and ever, amen.
**Hides score sheet from last week** Umm... 22 points for three dozen... But it was about half again as far as I normally shoot, AND it was cold, (well, duh, frostbite, dear!), and I was ill.
Anywho, I don't think archery's that complex... Mind you, I'm wierd.
Is anyone else having a hard time shooting a bow with smaller draw weight than what you're used to ? I've tried shooting a 18 lb. instead of a 22 lb. and nothing worked properly - it had no stability whatsoever

Hmm... I pinched the flat bow that my friend is using a couple of weeks ago... And drew it back past the back of my hair, because it was so easy to draw back compared to what I was used to! I shot half a dozen with it, and once I found an aimpoint (some where above the motorway which runs along side my archery field - raised up, so I was shooting about twice as high as the target again) I was getting good enough scores with it. But the poundage I use is so small anyway... I think is 40 at 28", but I'm shooting with arrows 25", so I don't know what that comes out as.
LOng bows are twice as easy to choot with (or at least for me) and they're so easy to set up! Last week I had to wait quarter of an hour for dad to finish putting down his (recurve) bow after I had finished... All I have to do to take the string down... Easy! Oh, and Megan, if you read this before I get to tell you (probably Saturday) I can put my bow up on my own now! Yay for me!
**Cough** Anyway, long bows are easy to aim; you use the same princible as a recurve, but you use the tip of the arrow as an aim. Oh, and you use your hand as a rest for the arrow...
When I first started archery I used a recurve, but I never really liked it. I love my longbow so much! :love: But yes, it probably is a good way to start off, unless you want to shoot with a long bow, as *aparently* it can be quite hard to ajust once you're used to one. I found it easy, but as I've already said, I'm strange.
Dûngaladwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2004 05:50

... what about filling a hole in a metal drainpipe and wooden doors?
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2004 11:20
Hello all! I saw this thread and I couldn't resist. I want to get involved in archer, and I was hoping for some tips. They would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know a website where I can get equiptment. Be it known, I am on a tight budget. Thank you. :wave: :wave: :feedback: :wave:
Nenyia
Send Message
on: November 16, 2004 12:16
Hi Silivrentolwen ! I'm a beginner myself, but here are a couple of tips I've learned so far : always use an arm-guard, or at least till you acquire a good position of the arm (otherwise you can get very nasssty bruises, believe me :cry: ) and try and relax your shoulders, or you'll get tired very soon. Probably the best advice I could give you is : don't rush ! Take your time, check if you have a correct posture, and if not, adjust it. Oh, and above all : have fun ! :disco: :naughty: :rolling: No need to get stressed out, just enjoy that wonderful feeling archery gives you

Here's a website with lots of links to online archery shops, some are in French, but there are also many in English This one looks quite good to me but it'd be better to talk to a pro before buying anything Hope this helps
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2004 03:50
Thank you, Nenyia. Another thing I was wondering is, do you have to use these modern bows, or can you use wooden ones as well. I mean, I was wanting an "old-fashioned" bow, but I don't know if that is the best way to go or not. I'm so confused! :dizzy: :rolling: :twitch: :banghead:
Nenyia
Send Message
on: November 17, 2004 07:35
Some modern bows are made of wood, and others have at least some wooden components Perhaps you meant longbows, that are also called traditional bows Unfortunately I can't help you much in this matter, as I've never tried one I've started archery with a recurve and I'm still using one, it looks like this. I couldn't say whether you should start with a recurve, a longbow or a compound, as you can see in the previous posts, some find compound bows easier for beginners, while others prefer longbows, or recurve bows, like me

Maybe you should try all of them before buying, just to get the feeling of which one works best for you For longbows, you could try this site, the prices seem pretty acceptable to me
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2004 11:10
Oh! Yes! That last link was perfect! Those longbows were exactly what I was looking for! Your right, the price isn't bad, though I'm not sure wat it would be in American dollars. Sorry. I'm in the U.S. of A.

I like the Jerry Hill wildcat 2. I think it looks very elvish, don't you? Thank you very much! Maybe someday, when I'm in college and have the extra money to spend. (yeah right! :rolleyes: )
Nenyia
Send Message
on: November 17, 2004 12:18
LOL, that was the most expensive ! :rolling: :naughty: But I have to agree with you on the Elvish look However, don't let yourself be intimidated by the price, you can still get a very good bow without paying huge amounts of money As for me, when I'll finally get myself a recurve, I'll definitely look for a simple model, and not very expensive, of course My instructor always says there are no such things as bad bows, only bad archers And I agree with him, as long as the bow has the right draw length and weight, and it fits your shooting style, then just go for it ! :disco:

Oh, btw, I'm planning on buying a recurve in a couple of months though I have no idea where I could practice with it, except at the archery club Perhaps indoor shooting in my room wouldn't be advisable *points to Dûngaladwen's and MirkwoodsArcher's previous posts* :naughty:
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2004 05:14
Another probelm is finding an instructor. I have a realative who bow hunts, but I'm not wanting to learn for hunting purposes. Eeeewww! He could at least get me started.

Yeah. I have a way of picking the most expensive thing as the one I like. Heehee!

You should set up your own targets in your back yard! That would be fun! You miss the target and hit your neighbors cat!
RRrrrEeeeoooowWWW! Ooops! Missed!
Nenyia
Send Message
on: November 18, 2004 09:06
Oh no, no hunting for me either, please Your relative could help you, but field archery, as well as 3D archery, require at least some basic accuracy (and a good range estimation), otherwise you'll have lots of trouble with recovering your arrows :naughty: if they're still undamaged My advice would be to begin with target shooting, whether it's indoors or outdoors Perhaps the best way to get started would be to check for archery clubs in your area

Hmm, good idea with the cat...:evil: :naughty: Must try that once
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2004 02:56
Heeheehee. You go for it. If you get in trouble with the police, don't come crying:cry: to me!

Oooh! Nenyia, or somebody, I need your opinion on a bow. I found it here. www.lotrfanshop.com/lotrshop/bows.asp

Read the info on it and tell me if it is worth the money and if it will break in like, two days of use. It says it's functional, but I don't know if I buy it.

It's the second one, the Elven hand-painted bow.

[Edited on 19/11/2004 by Silivrentolwen]
Nenyia
Send Message
on: November 19, 2004 10:39
Frankly ? I wouldn't trust it very much Okay, the price is attractive and the design is nice, but the technical data isn't that convincing. And it's only available in one draw length, 28". If it happens to be your draw length, then it's alright, but if not... Another thing is that you only get to see close ups of the painting, not of the bow itself All in all, buying it looks quite risky to me. Still, it could be a great bow, but badly advertised for

Let's see what others think about it. You shouldn't rely on my opinion too much, as I know very little about longbows :blush: And I still think asking a pro would be advisable
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2004 05:46
Yeah. I wasn't sure about it either. I was going to ask my cousin what he thinks when we are at Thanksgiving together.

Um. . . pardon my ignorance, but how do you determine your draw weight?

And If you read the reviews, people say good things about the bow, but you never know, they may not be legit.

Thanks for your opinion Nenyia. Any others want to comment? :feedback:
Nenyia
Send Message
on: November 23, 2004 12:19
Okay, this only works for compound bows : to determine your draw weight you have to measure the maximum weight you can hold at full draw without shaking for one minute. Yet, if you're not a regular shooter, you should measure the draw weight you can hold for 15 to 30 seconds without shaking (because your strength will increase with practice)

As for recurve and longbows, I think it's more a matter of practice - just try several draw weights and see which one works best for you I've started with a 25lb, then moved to a 22lb and I'm currently using a 20lb recurve. I suppose I could always go back to the 25 lb one, but I doubt I'd have the same efficiency after 2 hours of shooting as I have now with 20lb Anyway, draw weight can be adjusted between certain limits, so don't worry too much about it Hope this helps

[Edited on 23/11/2004 by Nenyia]
Elwë_Sindacollo
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2004 10:11
Im shooting with a compound bow as well, and my experience is that you should just try what bow is best. Dont think you will be like Legolas, im shooting for 3 years now and I cant even hit the bulls eye at 25 metres, so certainly not an Orc in the forehead at half a mile

Furthermore I well... dislike people who are going on archery becouse they adore the charactre played by mr Bloom. Archery should be just fun, not about imitating a movie character.
Nenyia
Send Message
on: November 24, 2004 02:05
Archery should be just fun, not about imitating a movie character.

I definitely agree with you, archery should be enjoyed for its own sake, it's such a wonderful sport ! :love: However, certain characters can be inspiring for archers, and I hope those that took up archery just trying to imitate Legolas eventually found out there's so much more to it As for me, I'm not a Legolas or Orlando Bloom fan, but I have a huge admiration for Beleg and the Númenórean archers :drool: :love: :disco:
GENERALBOB
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2004 02:35
I am thinking about starting archery. Any advice for getting bow and beginnig?
Nenyia
Send Message
on: November 26, 2004 01:26
Hi GENERALBOB ! You could check at the nearest archery club and see if they have classes for beginners Usually the club provides all the material needed for initiation. I wouldn't advise you to buy a bow before actually starting archery - on one hand, you'll probably end up with the wrong draw length or draw weight, and on the other one (and that's the worst case ), you'll realise that you simply don't like that kind of bow for example, you buy a recurve and find out later that a compound would suit you better Anyway, it's always best to ask the advice of a pro (like your instructor) before buying anything
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2004 09:22
Well, I got a definite "No," from my realative about that bow. Which is what I was expecting. He said I should go to someone else I know from church and shoot a couple of his recurves and see how I like it and then go to Bass Pro Shop if I still am interested and find one there.

And I agree with you Elwe, but I was more inspired by Lord of the Rings too take up archery, than the incredibly hot Orlando. He wasn't even shooting the bow. All he did was pull the string back and pretend to aim and the rest is computer. I think that is pathetic, but safer for the stunt men, so. . . . doodle-doodey-doo!!!!

Yeah right! Me??!! Inspired by someone who wasn't even shooting a bow???!!! Get real.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email