Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
GENERALBOB
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Archery!
on: November 26, 2004 03:22
I don't think there's an archery club where I live. Not too many smack in the middle of rural Indiana.
Maegondowen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2004 04:18
I'm going shooting on Sunday and I'm sooo looking forward to it. It's like a one day long introductory class. If I like the club that is doing it I'm going to their beginner's class which starts next spring. I can't wait for Sunday to come...
Elwë_Sindacollo
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2004 05:40
does someone want to swap with me? Its shooting for points tonight, but ive got a major test tomorrow
Drysi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2004 08:06
How much does a re-curved bow cost? Please give answers in different currincies (US dollars, British pounds, Canadian dollars, etc).
Nenyia
Elrond's Herald & Númenor Fanatic
Send Message
on: December 07, 2004 11:45
It depends on what you're looking for and your archery level. This one looks good to me and, in spite of its famous manufacturer, it's one of the cheapest models - € 136.39. I have no idea what's the equivalent in other currencies...
Drysi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2004 10:33
It depends on what you're looking for and your archery level. This one looks good to me and, in spite of its famous manufacturer, it's one of the cheapest models - € 136.39. I have no idea what's the equivalent in other currencies...
What does the € stand for? The link didn't work.
Nenyia
Send Message
on: December 09, 2004 11:01
Here is the link again, hope it'll work this time. € stands for Euros.
Drysi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 07:58
Here is the link again, hope it'll work this time. € stands for Euros.
I got it again. "The page you are trying to access is not available." *sigh*
Nenyia
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 11:58
Oh, just ignore that message. Did you click on Archery Shop ? It's the first icon on the left, and it works fine for me, at least
Nefhiriel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 01:22
Oh, I'm glad I found this thread I absolutly love archery! I've been doing it for about oh...I think it's been 3 or 4 years now. I use a recurve, but I'm dying to get my hands on either a longbow, or a Hungarian recurve....*drools* (Hungarian recurve is what all the elves in LotR use, but unfortunatly they're rather beyond my limited funds, at least for the time being ) Has anyone else seen a Hungarian recurve? They're absolutly beautiful :love: *sigh* Well, perhapes after I buy Legolas' white knives I'll save up for one.

Anyways, it's really neat to find some fellow archers!

- Nefhiriel <><
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 21, 2004 01:42
Another thing I was wondering is, do you have to use these modern bows, or can you use wooden ones as well. I mean, I was wanting an "old-fashioned" bow, but I don't know if that is the best way to go or not

Like I've already said, longbows are shiny to use! But I used a recurve (nast metal "modern" bow) for a year, just to get the basics. Longbows and Recurves are VERY different to shoot with (don't ask me about compunds; I'm not going withing a mile of one), so it might be difficult for you to change to another after starting to shoot with one. I far prefere shooting a longbow, but I'd say have a go with both of them before you buy one.

The first bow I (all right, my dad) broughtwas about £200 including all the extras (wristguard, tab, quiver, sight, arrows, etc.) and my longbow was £200, with the quiver, arrows, etc, coming to about £50, but I made my own arrows, so they were cheaper then they would have been if I brought ready-made ones.

You should set up your own targets in your back yard! That would be fun! You miss the target and hit your neighbors cat!
RRrrrEeeeoooowWWW! Ooops! Missed!

Hush! That's mine and Megan's plan! But ours involves siblings being tied to trees/shed doors...

I don't mind hunting using archery... well, the principal that everything is used, as it was a couple of hundred years ago. And when I say everything, I mean everything. What I would really, really, really love to do is field archery... unfortunatly there are no facilities for that 'round me.

Um. . . pardon my ignorance, but how do you determine your draw weight?

Hmm... **Tries to remember** Trial and improvement! When I first started archery Pete (my instructor) gave me a couple of bows to pull, and we picked the one that wasn't too light, but I could still pull back, and when I started with a long bow Neil (my new instructor) somehow worked out what weight I should use for my longbow. (40lb @2

Archery should be just fun, not about imitating a movie character.

Ummm... What about a charcter of legend... and book for that matter... **Glomps Beleg and Robin Hood** Although I've wanted to shoot since I was about five, and didn't start for... Eep math! about ten years.

Has anyone else seen a Hungarian recurve? They're absolutly beautiful *sigh*

... EUW! NO NO NO NO! Someone at my club has one... YUCK! Give me my longbow ANY day. **Thinks for a moment...** I though it was the asian recurves; as a lot of the elven design in LotR came from asia, as did the recurve.
Deffinatly a longbow girl. I can't STAND recurves, even the traditonal style ones. I'm not even that keen on shortbows... I'm oh! so picky. Have you seen the recurves that the Lothlorien elves had in FOTR EE? I couldn't stand them! Horrible!
Silivrentolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 03:46
Well, hello all! I've been kinda busy lately with the holidays. How is everyone?! :wave: Hiya, purplefluffychainsaw.
Legolasofmirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 10:11
hi, I'm a newbee at posting(just to warn you!)
it was cool to see others talking about archery, I took it up for my silver Duke of Edinburgh but none of my other friends did, so while i talk about how many points i shot last night, they all look blankly about!
Does anybody have any advice on how to shot with an overreach(arm bends the wrong way!!eww i know)?
I have a really promenent one and after a nights shooting i can hardly use my arm, even with an arm gaurd.
Sorry if i intruded but its really cool to be able to finally talk to some other archerers (not quite sure if that's a word), anyway would be really greatfull for your advice. Thanx
Nenyia
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 12:39
Hullo Legolasofmirkwood! I used to have the same problem with my bow arm, till I learned to rotate it, so it doesn't stand in the way of the string. Here are some tips to help you. You could also adopt an open stance, if you feel comfortable in that position, that is. Anyway, even when you'll correct your arm position, my advice would be to continue to use an arm guard - that @#$% string always has it its own way and you'll keep on getting bruises, though only occasionally and less severe than now
Legolasofmirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 05:50
Thanxs so much!
I will try next time i go and hopfully will be able to use my arm in Karate at my next lesson! My sensay (instuctor) was gettting really annoyed at me haveing to sit out of fighting (i wasnt complining!) and threated to march into my archery club and forcebly remove me from it, if i didn't stop getting my arm hurt!
Salmar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 11:29
[quote
Can anyone recommend some good exercises to strengthen the muscles needed for archery ?

The best exercise to strengthen the muscles used in archery is practice with your bow. I have 15 years of experience in shooting, and I can tell you now that pushups wont help. The muscles used to draw and shoot a bow are a group in the back between the shoulder blades. They are very seldom used by a person who does not shoot a bow. It will take time, but you will find eventually that your bow gets easier to draw. Here is a tip. I do not recommend shooting a compound bow if you plan to be a traditional archer, since the mechanics and form are totally different. However, go to the pawn shop, pick up an old compound, and just bring it home and start pulling it. do reps just like you were lifting weights. After your starting weight gets easy to pull, then crank down the weight-adjustments at the base of each limb, and start over again.
passionelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 09:08
Suilad,I'm a beginner archer,never shot an arrow in my life.I was thinking of starting of with the "Galadrim Longbow" wich can be purchased at www.rudderbows.com. Think is i needed to know if it's actually an OK bow to star off with and i know this is a pretty stupid question but would i be able to change the draw wieghts on the bow? And does an arrow rest help much?
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 09, 2005 11:51
Hmm... It sounds good but I would be weary of buying a bow off the net. Draw weights can't be changed on a longbow; you'd need to buy a new bow. An arrow rest will mean that the arrow will always be in the same position, even if the handle starts to slip (which is what was happening to a friend of mine at achery on saturday), which is obviously important, but the handle shouldn't slip if it's put on properly. (His was attacted by tape!)

You might want to have a go at shooting somewhere before you run off and buy a bow. Is there somewhere near where you could have a go?
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2005 04:43
Hello! I am also an archer. I have been taking lessons for half a year, and am very encouraged with how much I have been improving.

I have a 25# recurve, though I'm thinking about trying a 30# sometime soon. I shoot at 18m and really enjoy it.

According to my instructor my form is pretty good, so now for the aim, lol. (I've already broken three arrows by burying them an inch and a half into wooden beams with my lovely shooting. )
Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2005 01:39
Aiya all. I have been shooting archery since i was very little and am pretty good. I just got and elb or English Longbow for those who want to know. It's fun. I find it harder than a compound but i have been shooting it for about half a year and am getting good with it. I am shooting 70# @ 28''. I am getting ready to make my own bow. My little brother already did and it's cool. It's to small for me of course and the weight is only 30lbs (which is to light for him) and him and my dad just backed it with fiberglass today. When i make mine, which is going to be when i really good at it the rest i make will be practise, it will be made out of Yew and stained the same color as the Galadhrim bows and i will not back it because it doesn't need to be back because it is yew. Any way see ya

Namarie

Carnesir
Carnesir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2005 01:43
Oh yeah, just started shooting at 40yards a few months ago and am getting good at that as well. Hoping to find some more room to shoot. Thinking about up in the Black Hill in South Dakota. They aren't far from where i live so i have as much room as i need to shoot.

Namarie

Carnesir
Elatar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2005 08:47
<---IRL archer, has been for 14 years, since at least age 8..shoots compound, longbow, recurve in modern and traditional competitions, as well as combat archery.
Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 11:47
hey, I LOVE archery, but I can't find anywhere near me where I can every do it. That STINKS!!!! I only get to try it once a year when my church does a father/daughter campout. Then I've been known to stay at the archery range shooting for say, five and a half hours straight. Please don't ask how many arrows I lost...not including the one I broke of course... :blush: Anybody know how I can stay in practice without actually being somewhere official? Or if anybody happens to know of any archery place thingys near me let me know!
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2005 07:07
Well, I posted on the first page of this thread, but that was long ago. My knowledge of archery (and the equiptment I use) has greatly improved.

I'm taking lessons now (I was extremely fortunate to find a place nearby). I have a 66 inch long, 20 pound recurve that isn't as traditional as I would like, but that I still treasure

My instructor said that in about a year, I should be able to get certification to teach lessons. Isn't that cool? I think so
Laiquendi_eire
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2005 02:56
Greetings Fellow Archers !! :wave:

It's great to see that there are so many people out there interested in archery, it's an amazing sport. I've been involved in it for a number of years and I agree with what so many of you have said , it is very relaxing !

One of the most important pieces of advice that I would give to any aspiring archer would be ;

Don't rush out and buy a bow straight away !!

When I joined my club I used a school bow for the first year or so , the more I practiced the more my draw weight increased. Then one of the instructors lent me one of his old bows and I used that for almost another year and my weight went up again plus my draw lenght finally settled.

It was only after nearly 3 years that I bought my own bow, it's a black Hoyt Matrix (recurve bow) 66" and 36 pounds at 28". By holding off for a while I was able to buy a decent bow that suits me perfectly and will last for many years to come.
Oh also buy a comfortable arm guard when starting off ! getting whacked on the arm by a string travelling at a bazillion miles per hour hurts !!!

Bye for now and happy shooting !

Lai.

[Edited on 4/6/2005 by Laiquendi_eire]
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2005 09:06
I have been doing archery for a long time and compete alot. i have two bows and "six foot recurve, linen backed, ash, long bow it is great!!!!" and a conpound i use for hunting it's a great sport and i hope to see some of u at nationls
drogo_baggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 07:20
hullo, yeah i do archery (thats why im replying to your question).i use a 45+
(i dont really know) recurved bow, and i find it a lot easier to pull than when i first i got. i wanna get a mongolian short bow. 30 inch pull back for 50 inch bow.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 02, 2005 02:02
Do any of you longbow archers find that you do a couple of decent rounds and then floosh down to general badness for the rest of the shoot? I was getting 5/4 arrows on at 40yrds at the begining of the shoot this time, but then I went from 30pts for half a dozen arrows to 5pts, 1/2 arrows hitting the board. I do this quite often, and I want to know if it's something I'm doing because I have a low attention span or whatever, or if it's a general longbow thing.
Berieboennin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2005 07:55
Hi yall!!

Well, first of all, I think it's lovely the thread has grown this far!! Thanks a lot for being a part of it and advicing all of us beginners.
A new question. Is anybody from Chile?? I think I'm needing some local advice!

See ya soon!

Berie.
Celebnor
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 10:05
Hi! I have a 25 pound recurve bow (I think), and I'm a beginner!
julzar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2005 01:33
I've only got these budget wooden bows. They have a light as draw weight, and they only shoot about 50 metres. Does anyone know what wood i could use to make myself a decent bow.
Green_Dragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2005 11:22
My dad bow hunts but he uses a compound. I`ve always been interested in it and I got a kids size compound, I think it has like a 15-20 pound pull. I got bored with it, it was to easy. we have a book called the bowers bible and it had lots of ways to make longbows. We, my dad and I made the easiest and most inexpensive one. I`t was a wooden broom handle that we plained mostly flat, thicker in the middle and thiner at the ends for flexiablity. We just used stuff like kite string on it but I have to restring it often. Then we put leather around the middle for a handle and used a small peice of scrap wood and made an arrow rest. It dosen`t shoot far and it only has like a 10-15 pound pull (depending on how tight you pull the string) but it`s a nice play bow.
I`m planning on making something a bit stronger soon. hope that helps.

~Green Dragon~

[Edited on 4/8/2005 by Green_Dragon]
The_Oakleaf_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2005 10:57
Here are a few tips i've picked up along the way and won competitions with.

1. Having trouble shooting to the side of targets: If you stand on the left side (Hold the bow with your left hand and draw with the right) and are having trouble maybe with shooting a little bit to the right on every shot, Take your BACK foot and move it to the right a bit. If your shooting to the left a bit, move your back foot left. Same goes for the other side. Move your back foot in the direction your having trouble but not too far. it all depends on how far your shooting to the side. It ultimately forces your upper body to right itself with the target.

2. Targets that are close up: I've never really tried this with any other bow but it works for mine, so if it dosn't with yours, sorry but just give it a try and see if it helps. If I am faced with a close up target I find that aiming just a bit lower than what I'm aiming for helps to hit dead on. Why. My bow, when released, kicks the arrow up a bit so if I were aiming directly at the bulls eye, it would go a bit high. If i aim a bit lower, (say one or two rings down) I would get closer to the Bulls Eye. I have found that this works with me and If it works for anyone else, please let me know.

Like I said, I have won many bow competitions at re-enactments against people much older and stronger than I. I know a lot about archery so don't be afraid to ask me any questions you may have. Also, I'm not the best archer in the world so please fell free to give me tips. I'm always trying to improve.

The Oakleaf Ranger
Elven_One
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 09:49
I just bought a beautiful bow from bowstick.com and it's being made as I speak. It's the Prologue bow, shown in the FOTR at the beginning of the movie.

[Edited on 5/9/2005 by Elven_One]
noldorin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 03:09
a new person should use a light bow.see what you can pull.Its very different skill from modern weapons.im used to shooting a rifle and could not hit a thing when i first tried the bow.i kept trying to aim it like a rifle because that was what i was used to.i do recommned joining a club ,so somebody will tell you what to do.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email