Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First56789
Author Topic:
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, arrows are expensive to buy. However, one can but save lol.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
yeah, except i wont have money basically all year... i have three fund going right now and every penny i get goes in there
tamurilarfiniel
Council Member
Send Message
Wooden arrows can be fairly cheap, if you know where to get them.
Ai na vedui, pan! Mae govannen!
Daeneth
Council Member
Send Message
All archery-places around seem to be doing the modern bow-THINGIES with like three strings and an intricate pulley-system. I want an ordinary, wooden bow, with only one string attached. Seems I will have to make one myself :sigh: All shooting around here is firearms, sadly (although I wouldn't mind a good S&W as a hobby). Archery is relaxing, but I only get to try it once or twice a year when the medieval fairs popping up. 20-30 NOK for three arrows is outrageous, but I get to shoot with anything from a well-crafted, my-sized composite-bow, to a nice recurv-bow. Bows sell well at these medieval fairs. I might get a lot of money if I learnt how to make them and perhaps supplied it with leatherworking.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I use wooden arrows, mostly. But you have to be careful becasue they splinter really easily
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
legoles
Council Member
Send Message
where can you find and buy wooden bows exaple like legoles's bow
legoles
Council Member
Send Message
and same here legoles23
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I bought mine at Dick's Sporting Goods, near the hunting section. But I suppose you could buy them online, too.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
It has been far to long since I've had my hands on a bow. I'm reading Ranger's Apprentice series and they use bows...it has stirred the archer within me.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I love archery... but there is nowhere near me where I could practice. Or get a bow or arrows.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Marille Lairiel
Council Member
Send Message
I have never done archery, but I'm so keen to try it! Same as you Mareth, reading Rangers Apprentice makes me feel like shooting things
I am joining my local medieval society, they do a bit of archery and you can borrow the equipment, you could see if there is one in your area.
The more I live I see this life's not about me ~ Anberlin
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I kinda don't think there is...and we live out in the country and don't go to town much. Mayhaps some day I can get my own bow...that will be the day.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Check Amazon or an online version of a sports store. You may find options there.
Elssamor
Council Member
Send Message
I do some archery (new to it this year) and I bought pretty much all my stuff from www.3riversarchery.com They have everything you would possibly want including instructional videos and bow/arrow making equipment.
i tië mahtarwa
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
That site's pretty sweet, Elssamor. However it's rather out of my price range...maybe someday, I'll get an awesome recurve. Someday...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
You can always make one, Mareth.
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
You guys read Ranger's Apprentice?! Awesome! That's one of my favorite series, and yes, I love archery as well, only I can't do it often.
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Ranger's Apprentice probably just about my most favorite series! I just finished the 12th one yesterday.

I guess I could, Maxie...but in the long run, buying all the materials to make a good bow may end up just as expensive as buying a ready-made one.

[Edited on 02/27/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
Get the stuff from the woods! Ranger's Apprentice could have taught you how to do it.

Something that amuses me is, "Goodness me. I could learn how to cook just by reading the series!"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah...but you have to do a whole lot of looking on the internet and other resources for how to make it and what stuff to get. And the stuff isn't always that easy to get...

Lol! Cooking really isn't hard. But I won't go into that here, as this is an archery discussion.
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
Wanna shoot like the Rangers with half a dozen arrows in a few seconds? Watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Half a dozen arrows in a few seconds? The Welsh and English longbow-men were among the best archers in human history, and they were considered good at 6 aimed arrows in 60 seconds. But then, their bows had draw weights of up to 140 lbs, the arrows they shot were a yard long and as thick as a thumb, and could pierce any body armor of the times at ranges of around 200 yards. They started practicing in childhood and trained constantly. As you can imagine, they had very powerful hands, arms and shoulders. I would probably have to step on the bowstring with both feet and pull with both hands to get such a monster to bend noticeably!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh goddness, I would not want to encounter that!
LithonielGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Hey all, i'm new here and i love archery!! Even though I've never done it. I get to learn it in term three where i am. The first thing that inspired me to do archery was basically seeing Legolas with his bow and arrow, when i first watched Lord of the Rings all those years ago.
El sila erin lu e-govaned vin. (A star shines on the hour of our meeting)
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
The best archers could manage twelve arrows a minute Gondo. There's a good account of the battle of Agincourt in Robert Nye's book 'Falstaff'. I think it was the basis for a radio play, a monologue. Another one is by Peter Mottley called 'After Agincourt' which was performed by Bob Hoskins, and is an excellent account by Pistil of the horrors of those days. Not much chivalry there.

Every town and village was expected to plant and protect yew trees and to put young lads to train in archery. The longbowmen were pretty handy with axes too.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Since spring is supposedly coming, I am hard at work getting myself back in shape, including toning up my archery skills. Maybe someday soon i will post pictures of myself with my bow.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:The best archers could manage twelve arrows a minute Gondo.

AHEM! That would be gondolinian's short name?

OK, I think 6 per min was the minimum to get accepted into the archery troops.
I read an English book about the Agincourt (which actually took place near Azincourt, near Calais, the actual Agincourt being about 310 miles away east - but the English were never good at spelling French words ). The weird - or more likey, it was to be expected - thing was, that this 1415 battle was pretty much a replay of the thrashing the French took in 1346 at Crécy. Learning curve? Zilch
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Yes, I meant Gando. Sorry. Slip of the brain.

Would that be Edward III? Never was good at dates. Longbow against crossbow, no contest.
OK I 'fess up. Yet another great program on BBC about the Plantaganets, as good as the one about King Alfred

No archery for you Maxie, or violin or writing. That wrist needs rest, jelly (gelatin) and comfrey ointment. And empathy.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Very true, and that means I probably shouldn't be typing this as well. Im getting a new brace soon, that may alleviate some things.
LithonielGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Hey again. I love archery and it's something i would love to do as a hobby when i am older. I'm kinda wandering where could i fine bow and arrows, so i can start looking? And i would love to try and have a bow like legolas's or tauriel's. After all the elven prince inspired me to want to do archery.
El sila erin lu e-govaned vin. (A star shines on the hour of our meeting)
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Ebay has Tauriel's bow for $399.00 but I do not know if it is functional. Put *Elven bow* in your search engine and see what you get. Let us know if you find anything that interests you.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Or you can check out the Bowmaking thread in the Creations Forum. Ideas may be brought up there, LithonielGreenleaf.
Lady Miriel Gelliam
Council Member
Send Message
Hey y'all! I really want to start up archery; my question for all you talented folk is: How do I start? I mean, do you need a private teacher for this sort of thing? Or is it something where you can kinda figure it out yourself (after looking on the handy-dandy internet )? We know someone who makes bows for a hobby/side job, so I think I can get one pretty easy. I just don't know how to get started.
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important." ~ The Eleventh Doctor
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I reckon you could probably find out how to shoot from the internet. (There are probably YouTube videos on it.) I was in a 4-H Archery group, and I had a really awesome teacher, so that was pretty helpful...don't know if I would have been able to figure it out be myself.

You could try learning from the internet, and if that doesn't work, you could try to find a teacher.
Wascloth-
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with Mareth_Ravenlock. You could probably find out from the internet. It might be better to have a basic person on person lesson or a archery group just to get you started and then you can advance on your own from there.
<< First56789
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email