thats cheating
lol jk
im gonna buy a compound bow soon i hope
SarumanTheWise
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Archery!
on: September 13, 2008 04:16
i did archery in senior year of high school gym. it was so much fun! i haven't done it since though i was pretty good at it if i do say so

i think there's all kinds of rules as to where you can't shoot or something, one of these days i'll try to get back into it.

[Edited on 13/9/2008 by SarumanTheWise]
Araluen_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2008 11:01
my teacher just got a license to teach archery in school
im so excited
Legolas_Expert_Archer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2008 04:23
Of Course wood arrows are cooler, but I can't use them with my compound because they aren't straight enough, and usually weigh far to much, because they don't have a strong enough spine for high speed cams. But on the contrary I'm going to pick some up soon, because I'm gonna buy a recurve or longbow.

[Edited on 7/8/2007 by Legolas_Expert_Archer]

Actually, wood arrows are way stronger than you think. For example, medieval archers, with 150 or 200lb longbows, shot with wooden arrows. And when you're using a compound bow, spine is almost a moot point. Almost every single compound bow is center cut or equipped with an arrow rest, meaning that you can just grab arrows spined about 10-15lbs higher than the draw weight. And wood arrows are just as straight as carbon or aluminum, and much less likely to get bent if you take good care of them. The reason that most people don't use them is that they are more expensive and react more strongly if you mistreat them.

[Edited on 14/8/2007 by silmenuquerna]

Well I hate to correct people but it's better to make sure people get the facts straight.

Yes wood is "strong", but they are quite fragile compared to aluminum, which bends easily compared to carbon. Easton XX78s however are I have found, the most consistent shaft made.

They were used years ago because wood was all there was.

A few bows may have been 200, but it was rare. Most were between 100-150, and the arrows for those were usually ash and a half inch wide, versus the much thinner shaft used with even a recurve (which is faster than a longbow per inch of draw stroke).

Spine is anything but a moot point. With a compound bow, spine is even more important than traditional because of the higher speeds. If an arrow that is too weak or too stiff by .05" (which is what I am assuming you mean by "10-15lbs", since spine is not measured by #s) broadheads will veer left or right as they go down range, versus a properly spined arrow that will fly straight, much less give you a much tighter group.

Wood arrows are not very straight. They can be straightened a bit, but they all have wobble. Example, the best wood arrows might be +/- 0.005", whereas my XX78s are +/0.001" straightness tolerance.

Lastly, wood arrows are not expensive. The most expensive and best wood arrows cost between $30-40 a dozen for shafts.

The best aluminum (Easton XX78s, X7 Cobalt, X7 Eclipse) shafts run between $70-80 a dozen, and the best carbon arrows (shafts) cost about $350-400 a dozen.

Archery is fun, but please don't post things unless you know what you are talking about, for all you know someone could have read your post and been mislead by it.

If you are looking for archery information, I suggest you go to www.archerytalk.com and make a profile, and ask away. I am on there as well as more than 100,000 members who can point you in the right direction, as well as offer advice.
Lurearanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2008 04:08
I'm something of a beginner to the sport. Since it can be a relatively expensive hobby to get into I have yet to buy my bow but I do know what I want. A recurve, probably the PSE Impala. Being a woman I have found it difficult to find out what draw weight and length I need but I finally found someone to help me on that. You don't want to just pick up any bow and start going at it because everyone has a different strength and length to consider. I'm lucky to live in the country so practice for me is free and easy (although I tend to lose my arrows in the grass if I'm not careful). I'm wanting to hunt with my husband but he uses a compound and I was more interested in the "traditional" version of the sport. I will also use a muzzleloader when that season comes in.
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2008 06:21
a good way to shoot without an arm guard is to bend your wrist a little whilst holding the bow. That takes your arm just a bit away from the string when it recoiles.
Lastande_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2010 08:46
I did archery in 4-H for a couple years, dropped it, played around with my brother's bow on occasion, my brother gave me his bow - after he lost all his arrows. I'm right-handed but shoot left-handed because I'm left-eye dominant. My bow is left-handed, which is why my brother gave it to me. I made a new bowstring out of artificial sinew and it works great. I don't have an armguard, but I suppose the way I hold the bow keeps me safe. I almost never get stringslap. My problem is sore fingers.

So yeah, it's really fun, even if I stink at archery.
ElondraPeredhil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2010 06:19
I have tried archery multiple times....Its amazing!!
Andromeda_of_Imladris
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2011 01:07
I'm right-handed but shoot left-handed because I'm left-eye dominant.

wow lassie I'm the same! never thought I'd meat someone who was.

I've done archery for school sport for 3 or 4 terms. I'm not the best but at least I'm hitting the target regularly now

twice I have managed a bullseye (idk how); first time was in year 5 and actually the first time I had used a bow, and the second was last year.
ImageImage
Doruin
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2011 06:09
I have a 45-50 pound bamboo backed hickory bow. And it's glorious! I am pretty good, I can hit a 2 inch target from like over 150 feet. I also hunt with mine to.
Laiquëhendu
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2011 07:29
I do archery from seven years ago. I'm not a traditional bowman.

I have three bows, two of them are olimpics recurves bows. And the other is a longbow. This last is made of Osage and Lapacho woods. A week ago I buy my longbow. I'm not an expert with it, but I'm improving my skills in this discipline.

Pictures? soon
~Fëanor_Curufinwë~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2011 11:45
Ok... you're gonna think I'm crazy... but I'm trying to make a bow...
They cost waaaay too much!! So I'm attempting to make one.
Got any advice? Cause I don't really know what I'm doing. I found an article on the internet, read it, and started making one.

I'm making it out of pine wood, and am only doing it for fun. And I have a feeling it's gonna break, my bro tried to make one basically the same way and his broke. The first time he shot it.
Oh and the wood isn't exactly straight...

Well, has anyone made a bow before? If so, could ya post some pics so I can see what a home-made bow is supposed to look like?

Namarie!
~Dramorion

[Edited on 19/8/2011 by Dramorion]
~Fëanor_Curufinwë~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2011 12:37
Grr! It did break!!! How sad. I got cuts, bruises and blisters from making it, and all I got was a broken stick. :'(
lol.
On to bow #2!
I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, but we had 2 trees out back so I used a branch from one of them... it wasn't a pine tree, at least!
I also got another stick, from a lilac bush... lilac wood, I guess you'd call it. that sounds weird. :lol:

So, no one has any advice or made a bow before??
Or is it someone's replied and I just can't see it? lol
QueenSword
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 11:33
I agree, it's ridiculously expensive to buy one.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Bow-and-Arrow

It's not the best website, but maybe you can pick up some tips??
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Archery!
on: April 06, 2012 11:41
I'm thinking about trying archery, probably sometime this summer with a friend. Does anyone have any tips for someone who has little background in archery?
Faraneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2012 02:17
Okay MallornHugger, I've been honing my archery skills since I was 12 so I've picked up a thing or two.

The one thing I see make the biggest improvement in people who are new to archery is their stance. Imagine there is a line going through both of your hips, you want that line to be pointed right at the target, so your completely side on to it.

Second, make sure your drawing back the bowstring to the same spot EVERYTIME, this is called your "anchor point." In archery consistency is important because you want your arrow to fly true every time.

Feel free to PM me if you want anymore advice.
'I have quick ears, and though I cannot disappear, I have hunted many wild and wary things and I can usually avoid being seen, if I wish.' 'Not all those who wander are lost.'
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 08, 2012 10:40
I have made a bow before. But it was done all wrong. It's a good childhood token to hold onto plus it does look cool. (I never could really make arrows...)

I have always wanted to get into archery. I watched Robin Hood last night and my love was rekindled. I love longbows though for me I suppose it would end up being a short bow because I am short. One day I might look into buying a bow and such.

I am assuming they still make and sell wooden bows? That's what I would like... I don't really like the modern bow look. And I have no idea how many pounds draw weight I should get... though I know I would have to build my strength up as well.

Ah well, maybe one day.
Faraneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2012 12:46
It's really not a difficult hobby to pick up. A decent starter recurve bow can be had for $100 but that would definitely be the cheapest bow I would recommend.

And making your own bow is very possible but it takes LOTS of patience. Also you can't just use any scrap of wood you find lying around.

If anyone wants information or advice on getting into archery just let me know and I'd be more than happy to help.
'I have quick ears, and though I cannot disappear, I have hunted many wild and wary things and I can usually avoid being seen, if I wish.' 'Not all those who wander are lost.'
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2012 06:29
In about a week I'm going to try archery. I've done some before, but that was like four years ago at a camp with child-proof arrows....XP I can't wait for this time! Any tips/advice for beginners?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Faraneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2012 09:39
I've forgotten to post my number one archery tip. When you buy modern arrows they have an aluminum insert that the arrowheads screw into. Make sure you glue those suckers into the shaft with the strongest glue you can find and let them sit AT LEAST overnight if not longer. I can't tell you how many times I've had to buy new inserts and arrowheads because they came off inside a target.
venessiel.melly
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2012 09:21
I always wanted to try archery but im going to try next year in 4h
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2012 04:12
I just found out my grandparents have a bow and arrows in their basement! So I spent a day recently just firing arrows at an old life preserver... So fun!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Eraisuithiel_Crabantaure
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2012 08:57
You will all be jealous. My parents set up a stationary and moving archery target for my 13th birthday. I also have three bows, a recurve, a period bow, and a long bow that is a replica of the elven bows used in the last alliance. I love my geeky family. Especially my grandfather because he taught me how to shoot when i was seven, and gave me hand fletched arrows as a gift one year.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 12, 2012 10:51
I am jealous! lol You are very lucky indeed. I decided I wanted a nice wood recurve bow. I like them. I looked into buying one, and think I will get one soon-ish.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2012 04:04
You are correct. I am jealous. You are so lucky!!!
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2012 09:45
I've been looking into what kind of bows I want to buy...archery is not only a sport, it is an art! I can shoot a bow both ways, left eye or right, but I prefer right. I'm more accurate that way, and it feels more natural. I would prefer a wrist guard, but sometimes a sock with a hole cut at the end will do lol.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 17, 2012 02:25
Guess what peeps!! I got my first bow! It is a wooden traditional longbow, 58 in., with a 25lb draw weight(In case you are wondering I am small and short lol). I will post pics soon-ish.

Now it is time to start practicing and learning archery. But I am glad to have this bow, it looks great!

Here's me:

I know, my form is probably all wrong.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2012 08:24
Aw, that's awesome Eruce! I really need to get one myself lol
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2012 06:40
wow, nice eru. Where did you shop for the bow?
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 18, 2012 08:45
I found it at tradtecharchery.com. They specialize in more traditional bows. The arrows I just got at a local hunting shop.
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2012 01:58
I do archery but my bow more or less does all the work it is pretty but I dont like it. I feel bad because it is a not-so-cheap bow but it is really nice! tradtecharchery.com has awesome bows!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2012 08:09
i am doing archery. My dad gave me his bow he used to use when he was my age. It is just a tiny compoud, but it is just until i get my recurve. Recurves rule!
saerwen_tariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2012 05:45
Agreed, Legolas23. They are amazing!! I have a modern recurve and have been shooting for about a year and a half. Fell in love with archery at a camp... Sometimes an expensive hobby though, especially with my 'talent' for breaking arrows. The few times I miss the target, I always manage to break arrows
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2012 07:08
my target is a piece of cardboard nailed to a wooden frame. I have a circle in the center. It is pretty sad, i know. But it is just until i get another one. The one i have before ripped to shreds!
I found an awesome recurve bow online. It is silver, and it looks somewhat Elvish. If any of you have seen the Hunger Games, it looks like Katness's bow.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2012 09:09
I have been to the archery range by our house in the forestry, but it is pretty sad. The arrows don't go into the targets and the targets are all ripped up.
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email