Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
AnironEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
Post Scottish Clans
on: September 17, 2005 04:08
I don't live in Scotland, but i'm scottish, my name is Patterson, and I'm a member of Clan MacLaren. Anyone else live in scotland, and/or belong to a clan?
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Scottish Clans
on: September 18, 2005 05:51
There is a saying, Aniron ~ Wherever in the World by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God. Lol!! Only a saying, and I suppose it could apply to anyone's heritage.

Anyway, I belong to the MacAulay Clan, with entitlement through ancestors to McAlpine, McLeish, McGregor (Rob Roy being an ancestor) and Buchanan. There is a good dollop of Viking ancestry too.

I also have Irish ancestry and family legend has it that I can claim descendancy from Brian Boru (King of Ireland).

Don't you just love family legends.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 04:58
Well, Rose, maybe we're distantly related, as one of my ancestors was a MacGregor, too (I've got a copy of my family tree somewhere -- it was my great-great-grandfather, I believe). My father told me stories about Rob Roy when I was a child, that he learned from his grandfather. Family legends -- they are fun, aren't, they?
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 10:51
My, my Rivka!! :love: Small world, even if it is in the mists of time.
AnironEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 04:02
Sweet!!! I love being able to say "I'm in a Scottish Clan". and i really like that saying. My clan's motto is "Creag An Tuirc" which means "The boar's rock"....not quite sure where that came from, but yeah...cool.
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2005 10:20
The MacAulay Clan Motto is : Duce Periculum ~ Sweet Danger. My Clan badge is a spurred boot on a cairn of stones.

Haste ye back :love:
AnironEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 05:55
this is fun, I love scotland. not that i've ever been there, but still.

So I've been trying to memorize the words to "Scotland the Brave". I LOVE that song. And also, that poem "Scots wha hae wi' Wallace bled...." oh man, it's awesome.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 01:05
Hi Everyone!

Even I don't live in Scotland, but I went there twice and it was absolutely great! Anyways, I am from the Moffat Clan and our motto is 'Spero Meliora' -'I hope for better things'.

Wish there are others from this clan! **fingers crossed!**.

Thanks,
Ilandir

[Edited on 24/9/2005 by Ilandir]
Dingil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2005 09:21
I dont' live in Scotland but i'm from the Bell clan (if you go back 3 generationslol)The bell clan i am told is a really really small clan in the lowlands i think.., it would be so way awesome to have a scottish accsent though they are so cool!!
AnironEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 09:36
Yeah, I wish I had a Scottish accent. That's what I like about Billy Boyd! Haha. I wonder what clan he's from? (or is he irish? .................) anyway, you know what they say about scots from the lowlands...."short to medium in stature"....lol. maybe they're descendant from hobbits! haha, jk.
AnironEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 10:09
hahaaaaaaa. so i just went and looked up some stuff about billy boyd since i had raised myself some questions about him. i was right, he is scottish ( why would i even think irish? i don't know....) haha. big shocker there. and "Boyd" is a clan itself. go figure! there motto is "confido" which means "i trust". he was trained at the royal scottish academy of music and drama. i want to go there!!!!!!!!!! ah.
Sailasiro
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 08:55
My clan is Clan MacKenzie. My great-grandfather was from Scotland, and he settled in South Carolina around the Kingstree area. I never knew him, nor my grandfather who had a bit of that sweet accent. Every May the MacKenzies get together in Kingstree and have a reunion. I have yet to go, but look forward to it. I would love to go to Scotland as well. Tullach Ard is our war cry, and Ulceo Non Oro is our motto, which means 'I shine not Burn'. That is on the round belt thing with a picture of a mountain with flames on it. Our clan also uses Cuidich'n Righ, but I don't recall what it means. It is seen on a banner underneth a stag head. I even have a kilt!! I got it at the Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina several years ago. It is the largest gathering of the clans outside of Scotland.
AnironEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 08:05
AAAH I REALLY WANT TO GO THE HIGHLAND GAMES AND CLAN GATHERINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh man.
Runya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 12:37
Wow! and here I was thinking I was the only one with Scottish blood. I am from the last of the Macdonold clan, along with the Douglas Clan.
Andowen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 09:50
I've lived in Scotland for about five years now, originally I'm from England.

According to our family history on my Nan's side we do have Scots blood anyway, Brown, which is good because they have a much nicer tartan than my friend's, lol.

I also took Gaelic classes at University for a while, but I don't remember how to say much apart from my name, how I feel and what certain parts of the weather are.

The best thing about living here is the scenery, I love taking pictures, and living on an island surrounded by mountains and seas certainly inspires you. One of my favourite pictures that I've taken is of the palm trees in our garden covered in snow.

Feel free to PM me if you want to see some of these pictures, or if you want to know what Scots island life is like, I can look at it from both sides I guess, as an insider and an outsider.

And, no, I don't have an accent... not really anyway
AnironEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2005 03:19
hey that's cool! I'll have to take you up on that offer, I'd love to see pictures. I'll have to show you guys my tartan. It has purple in it. At least one version does.
Dingil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 07:20
coooooolll... my tartan is pretty uncolourless, its like dark blue, grey balck, white and an itsy bit of red....i guess its ok though
Lissie_Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2005 07:32
I've got some scottish ancestry too...as well as irish. my great-great-great...(on for a bit) grandmother was a Glasgow. my scottish clan is Cockburn. I would love to visit those two countries...some day when I'm independently wealthy... (lol)

I agree with those who said they wished they had accents...me too! I do a pretty good imitation, though...

~Lissie Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2005 03:42
The scottish accent is one that makes me tingle. I spent most of my childhood holidays in Scotland and my granny's house and usually came back home to Manchester, England with a broad scottish burr. Aye lassies. Lol!!

My dad had lived in England since he was 18 years old. His accent would become stronger if he spoke with another Scot. But my Uncle, who lived in Australia for over 25 years never lost it. He spoke with a very broad scottish tongue.

I have to admit though, I do melt a little at a soft Irish brogue.

I think parts of Scotland would have been lovely to film some of LotR, but it would maybe have cost too much. Scottish countryside is so beautiful.

AnironEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 07:08
gaaah. I'm jealous. yes, the accent makes me melt. especially billy boyd.

so in my "advanced reading mastery" class, we are doing a project called "metaphor museum". we can pick any topic, and think of a metaphor for it, and make a "museum" to physically show the metaphor. sounds strange but it's actually really cool.
so I'm doing mine on Scotland. I figured this would be a good opportunity to learn about the country.

they way i made it a metaphor was "Scotland is a Castle", it's really old, has a lot of history, and has been fought for a lot. And more specifically, i'm making my museum in the shape of a castle, modeled after Castle Stalker (Stalcaire in gaelic), which is on and island, also like scotland (except for being connected to england...) and inside my museum (which is 20"x16"), i have pictures and things to represent scotland's war history, clothing style (including my clan's tartan), music/poetry, food, and other things like that. it is going to be cool. i'll post pictures.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2005 05:01
My ancestery is Scottish on both sides of the blanket. Excuse the pun, but my family was very "clannish" on both sides until really my generation. I have one Austrian grandmother and other than that, it's all Scots marrying Scots.

On my dad's side is Clan Rose. Their motto is "Constant and True". I've tried to live up to that. I was finally able to visit Kilravock Castle, home of the Clan Rose in May of 2004. It was a trip of a lifetime. Walking in the woods there was like walking in Lothlorien. I long to go back. It was so strange to look at 700 year old paintings and see definite family resemblences.

On my mom's side we're related to the Buchanan Clan. Hey, Rose, we might just be related! I *knew* it! I don't know as much about that side as my dad's.

Given a choice, I would go back to Scotland for a longer visit. We really didn't have enough time there. Like Rose also, I just also go weak-kneed at the Scottish burr.
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2006 05:29
I'm Scottish born and bred, I'm originally from Glenrothes, a small town in Fife, and I'm now at University in St Andrews, also in Fife.
I'm mostly from the Clan Campbell, many of my close relatives' mother tongue is Gaelic, although my Gaelic is unfortunately very poor. Our motto is Ne Obliviscaris - Do not forget.

I have a really broad Scottish accent, which I don't really notice, and I find it quite amusing when people like it. What can I say? I'm easily amused.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: April 13, 2006 07:27
I'm Scottish (well, born in New Jersey, but my mum's side of the family is all Scottish and I've lived in Edinburgh since I was a month old) and a member of the Robertson Clan. Our motto is apparently Virtutis, Gloria, Merces.

My mum's been researching our family tree and we've been in and around Stirling (where I now go to uni) for over 200 years. None of us are very exciting though, dispite Stirling having fairly exciting history my family seems to have been more concerned with illegitmate children and family feuds over men that have ended up dying in the workhouse. So slightly less important than William Wallace.

On a complete tangent, one of the things that annoys me about the Scottish accent is that people seem to think I don't have one. I do! It's just the Edinburgh accent, rather than the Glasgow one, which almost everyone outside of Scotland seems to think is the only scottish one. It's a bit softer (and in my opinion nicer, but I'm biased ) but it's still Scottish!
Tauran
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2006 11:57
i'm half english and the other half mainly scottish...i've done my research and i have some nearly reliable evidence showing that i'm the direct male heir to the title of Somerled and the MacAllisters (that is if it still existed). relations to the Bruce and the Stuarts in there also.

Just a random comment...my best friend could have a son in England and inherit the throne...he's the heir of the Stuart throne
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2006 12:37
There's something I've always been a little confused about. How does one know one is part of a clan. Does that just mean you had an ancestor of a certain name or that you have the name yourself?
I'm a Ferguson, but my grandfather was adopted. Therefore I have no biological connection to the Fergusons. As far as I can tell, it was the Scottish branch. Does that mean I am or I'm not a member of the Ferguson/Fergusson clan?
I do have genetic ties to the Gordons, and more distantly, the Campbells. Possibly some others, depending on how far back you go.
Tauran
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2006 10:44
in response to ataralasse's comment, i think that if you want to call yourself a ferguson then go ahead and do. you can probably claim to be of the other clans also if you so wish, just as long as you have some connection to them. my friend, the one that can claim the stuart crown, was actually adopted into that line also, but he does still claim the stuarts as his ancestors. so i guess you're free to choose you heritage but its Scottish anyway you look at it
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2007 10:23
Runya, you're not alone! i'm a macdonald myself! well, i feel i should clarify here - i'm half scotish by blood. Both my mum's parents were scotish, but my grandad's dead now. they belonged to the Macdonald and Cambell clans - i was never sure who was which - so technically i have a claim to belong to whichever i choose
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: February 15, 2007 01:05
I'm an INNES by birth although not born in Scotland. I have lived in Edinburgh, been a temp shepherdess in Perthshire, and spent many years in Wester Ross (Achnashellach and Glen Torridon). Long long ago now.

I was a folk-singer and sang many of the great Scottish ballads, all full of gore and grief and very "elder days" in their ambience. Some I learned from my father.

My late husband was born in Gasgow and was from MacIntyre and McKinnon stock.
golden_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 06:22
I am pretty sure that I have Scottish blood in me. I haven't actually looked into it, though... but I think I know where to find out. (I would really like to know!)

golden
Sugar_hi_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2007 05:46
I'm from Clan Grant, though I do not live in Scotland. I wish I did. I love the accents. I always joke that if i go there, I will be abducted and not even care because I love the accents.
I'm pretty sure I have more clans in me, But I'm not sure. No one has done a family tree, and I really want to soon..
I'm also a Stopforth and Conway Irish clan member.
OH! and I take highland dance.
ailsa
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2007 10:49
I'm born and bred Scottish and I never plan to leave (apart from my eventual trip to New Zealand when I'm older to visit the real life Middle Earth, but I'm definitely coming back lol.) I'm part of the Drummond clan. I love Scotland.

[Edited on 23/3/2007 by ailsa]
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2007 06:22
Hi there!
I'm actually not Scottish, but I'm very interested in this country. Currently I'm reading a novel which plays in Scotland and it's about the MacKenzie Clan and the Frasers, I think. I didn't know that they really exist... Well, if I'm honest I didn't know that there are still clans in Scotland.... Do they still have a special meaning?!
I would really like to visit this country!!!!
Greetings!!!!
Túrwen
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 25, 2007 02:43
Currently I'm reading a novel which plays in Scotland and it's about the MacKenzie Clan and the Frasers, I think. I didn't know that they really exist... Well, if I'm honest I didn't know that there are still clans in Scotland.... Do they still have a special meaning?!
Oh yes! Oh my goodness yes! Most clans still have a nominal chieftain too. Mine (INNES) is the Duke of Roxburgh.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2007 05:51
Yes, Turwen, Scots are extremely proud of their Clan heritage.

As I have mentioned earlier, I am first and foremost a MacAulay. But through my granny, I can claim Buchanan and McLeish clanship and can wear those tartans. I can also claim clanship to Rafferty and Martin, through both my granny and granddad. Through my mum, I can claim McAlpine, who are also from where the MacAulay clan originated, Siol Alpin and are in turn related to the McGregor clan, whose most famous son is Rob Roy.

My maiden name is actually spelled McAulay. I had a perverse granddad who decided long ago to spell it that way, so it is kind of a mixture of Scottish and Irish, as the Irish way of spelling it is McAuley, with an 'e'.

The MacAulay tartan is very close to the Stuart tartan except that it has a white line in it rather than a yellow one and we have a beautiful 'Hunting' tartan, which is a mixture of greens.

My branch of the MacAulay clan were from the southern part of Scotland, Ardencaple and sadly that branch eventually died out in 1767 although some of the clan emigrated to Caithness, Sutherland and Argylle.

If you should ever get the opportunity, Turwen, you should definitely visit Scotland. A wonderful, wonderful country and people.
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2007 07:50
This all really sounds very, very interesting for me. I can barely imagine it. It sounds like a great cultural heritage and I think it is great that the Scotish keep it alive. Yes, I've read about every clan having their own tartans. So that everyone knows from which clan you come from.
I really, really hope to visit the country. It's not so far away, but it definatley lacks of money....
In my book it all begins at the Craig na Dhun (written like this?!). It's a stone circle like Stonehenge. Have you heard of this?! Does it really exist?! I think so.
Oh, and I have one more question (sorry, I don't want to go on your nerves, but I'm so curious about all this): Does anybody of you speak Gaelic?! Or is it no more very much known in Scotland?!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email