Register

Author Topic:
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
Post Darkest Before the Dawn
on: November 16, 2006 04:51
OOC Thread

OOC: Please refer to the OOC for more information on joining and the rules for this one. If you do not take the time to see the OOC and follow the steps needed to join, then your post will be requested deleted.

The Elendilmir was a white gem set in a silver diadem, which was worn on a fillet of mithril on the brow of Elendil when he came to Middle-earth in place of a crown, and then also by his son Isildur after him.

It was first worn by Silmariën, the daughter of King Tar-Elendil of Númenor, and it was then passed down through all of the Lords of Andúnië. It eventually came to Elendil and then after his death, to Isildur, his son.

Sadly, the original Elendilmir disappeared when Isildur was killed at the Gladden Fields. A new one was then made, and it became a symbol of the royalty of the Northern Dúnedain, and then of the Heirs of Isildur, and was passed down from generation to generation, eventually coming to Aragorn.

The original Elendilimir remained lost.

- CoE Encyclopedia excerpt

The War of the Ring was over. Good had claimed victory and evil was overtaken. King Elessar reclaimed all the lands of Gondor and Arnor as they had been at the greatest extent and formed the Reunited Kingdom.

Within the borders of the realm were several peoples who were considered part of the kingdom, yet were allowed complete self-governance: the Hobbits of the Shire, the "Wild Men" of Duradan Forest, the Ents at Isengard, Gimli's Dwarves of the Glittering Caves, and the Elves from Greenwood with Legolas and Ithilien.

North of the Reunited Kingdom, Mirkwood had been freed. Thranduil added the lands north of the Mountains to his kingdom, and the middle portion was given to the Beornings and the Woodmen. Celeborn claimed the section south of The Narrows, calling it "East Lorien," but after Celeborn's departure "in Lorien there lingered sadly only a few of its former people".

- The Atlas of Middle Earth excerpt: Karen Wynn Fonstad

The stars began to fade as the sun slowly peaked over the mountains casting an orange glow upon the lands it chose to touch. The moon could still be seen in the West reluctantly falling, until its return. Iviera yawned quietly and stretched her tired muscles, waking them up for a new day. She scratched her head lazily and struggled to get up and keep her balance.

She let out another yawn as she now stood facing the rising sun. With a smile she saluted the sun, thanking it, and asking for the Vala's blessings as her typical morning routine. She rubbed more sleepiness out of her eye as she turned on her heel and saluted the full moon as it still remained barely in the sky, thanking it, and again, asking for the Vala's blessings.

She turned her head slightly to see Tay-Tay her tan pony scratching up against a birch tree nearby. "Come, Tay-Tay." she said quickly. The pony did not hestitate to follow her mistress's command.

Ivi greeted her friend with a nuzzle on the nose as she combed through her main...which was tangled. "Only a few more treks and we will be in sight of Minas Tirith." Tay-Tay shook her head roughly, displeased with the notion.

"I don't like the sound of it either, however, we must stop there before continuing on...how else are we to arrive in Dol Amroth?" Tay-Tay remained silent. Ivi patted her neck and walked underneath a carefully chosen tree. It was large and looming, hardly a branch on it that was less than a foot in diameter. Ivi placed her hand on the tree and smiled, thanking it. Then she jumped to the closes branch and pulled herself up grabbing a few old sacks of food and clothing she had placed up there the night before. She was please to see the tree kept the rodents out of them. She whisteled sharply and Tay-Tay walked underneath where she hung and stopped. She dropped the sacks onto the pony's back...despite the fact that they would fall off anyways...and then she proceeded to jump down onto Tay-Tay's bareback.

Swooping down after she landed, she picked up the sacks and placed them in front of her and clicked with her tongue...directing Tay-Tay to go forward.

It was almost mid-morning when Minas Tirith finally loomed ahead of the small hobbit and her pony.

[Edited on 5/1/2007 by Iri]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Post RE: Darkest Before the Dawn
on: January 08, 2007 01:00
As all good stories start in taverns (or so it seems to me), so let this one begin as well. At least, that was the thought that was in Llweryn's mind as she sat at the table in the corner of the dingy bar. Life had not been good to Llweryn, called Leyn by most, and you could see it in the way she looked at you. There was sadness in her eyes, a sadness that couldn't be measured. Leyn was a solitary person, not given much to conversation with others, or even making friends. Sighing heavily against life's injustices, Leyn took a last draught of her ale, left a coin on the dirty table, and strolled outside. Her horse, a handsome ebony stallion called Verelin, whickered anxiously as his mistress approached him. He sensed her tensions as she mounted him silently.

Leyn turned Verelin toward the gates of the great city of stone and nudged his sides. He moved forward with a grace that most horses didn't have. There was nothing special about his lineage, after all, he had been a mangy colt, but as he grew, Verelin had developed a certain air about him. It stuck with him even now after so many years.

Leyn, in her grave demeanor, rode through the gate, after nodding to the guards. What adventure would be held later on could wait; there was probably nothing of importance anyways, or so the thought was in her mind.

(I hope this is ok to begin with, Iri. Will change if necessary.)
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2007 01:38
Caradan sat at his table, surrounded by papers and scrolls. He wiped his pen on his sleeve, leaving another ink stain, and made another note on his sheet. He got up from the table, moved across to one of the shelves and began to rummage through the papers. Several sheets fell on the floor. He picked some up and returned them to the shelf but left the others where they lay. Tomorrow he would sort them all out but for today he knew he had a scroll here somewhere that one of the loremasters had made, a copy of a scroll that had come from the library in Rivendell. He wasn't sure it was a good copy. Perhaps he should go to the main library and try and see the original.

He got up and left the house. In the street he passed a woman on a horse, riding towards the gate. He nodded to her, wishing her "Good day". He noticed her sad expression and stared after her, wondering where she was going. She rode out of the gate. Caradan paused at a fruit-seller's and bought an apple. He stood there, munching the apple and thinking about the account in the scroll, an account that went back to the second age. If he could find Master Elrond's own account it would be best. Perhaps that would be in the library in the citadel. He stared at the gate, part of his mind on the woman who had ridden out.

(OOC hope this is OK too.)
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2007 05:24
He knew who they were...he knew why they were here, yet he did not make a quick escape...he did not try to avoid their gazes, instead he met the menace's eyes full force, but with a smirk.

As the three men walked towards him, clad in black, obviously up to no good, yet no one dare tell them so, Corinth's smirk turned to a smile and he stood offering a friendly, but sarcastic hand shake.

"Hello, friends, please have a seat, drinks on me." He barely got a sentence out before the biggest of the three stepped from behind them all and put one hand around his neck, lifting about a foot off the ground with one arm. His air flow was cut short and he quickly gasped for his next breathe, but was it was short and he let out a choke, his face turning flush.

The man's eyes were furious, his breath smelt putrid, and his hand's were large. His voice was deep and raspy, "I've been after you for far too long. I've slept on rocks, eaten maggoty bread, and drank foul ale...because of, you! Give me one reason why I should not pinch your head from your neck right now..." He grunted and made his grip tighter. All air ceased and Corinth's head began to pound. He grasped the mans' hand with his own and tried to find escape. "Gin." he was able to whisper hoarsly.

The man let go and he fell to the ground, the blood rushing to his head and things grew dark and faded back into place. He stroked his neck tenderly, without looking up, grimacing at where the mans' finger nails had sunk into his skin. The bar had pretty much cleared, no one would do anything, they valued their lives too much. Corinth did not expect them to.

The three disregarded their victim and sat at the table, he had been seated at. They knew Corinth would not run. Instead he slowly stood with a smirk on his face, laughing slightly. "I'm sorry to hear you have had such a rough week, my friend." The man grunted and spat on the seat, where Corinth, then, seated himself. Ignoring the action. He coughed a bit more, as his voice was not quite ready to be used. He knew his throat would be sore for a couple of days, it took some pretty rough damage. It still stung, where his adam's apple, held too much pressure upon it.

The shorter, yet leaner, man took off his hood, revealing long blonde hair and piercing dark eyes. "You are right, Corinth, Gin is the only reason why your head remains where it is."

"And I thank him for that, Feonden." Corinth replied sarcastically. The man casually reached to his belt, yet quickly retrieved a dagger and slammed it into the table, startling Corinth. He jumped slightly and looked down at the blade, firmly centered in the table's wood.

"You are fortunate he wants you alive...apparently, I hear, upon your arrival he has quite a few...'festivities' in store for you." The other two snickered as the man ran his finger down the dagger.

Corinth hid his eyes, behind his long hair, not wanting them to see the fear which he felt. He looked at the blade, letting his mind think quick as to how to get out of it.

"So, Gin, does not want his money?" he replied casually, meeting their gazes. Their smiles disappeared. "Gin gave up on you long ago, Corinth, he wants you dead, no payment will save you now."

There was a momentary silence and Corinth again began to think quickly, "What if I offered him double my debt?" The laugh which sounded, echoed even in the wooden bar. It was sinister...wicked. Corinth remained collected allowing them their fun.

When the laughter subsided Feonden looked to him with a stern glare, "It's useless, Corinth...your time is up."

"I'm afraid, upon, my arrival, Gin would be most displeased to hear that his most skilled, made decisions for him and also gave him a man instead of gold." They were silent and Corinth continued, "Do you really believe he would have more pleasure in killing me himself, than to have the payment owed to him, doubled?"

These men had skill, but they were not intelligent. They followed another, who was. Corinth planned to use this and escape. They had no answer to return to him so he seized the moment and began his most infamous skill....weasling.

"Give me one month, and you will bring back a prize far more precious than, myself...and I must say, that is priceless..." he smirked, yet they were unmoving, he carried on. "One month, I will keep in contact with you, you will know where I am at all times. We will make a pact, if I try in the least to escape you, then you may return me to Gin... But give me one month and I will make you the most trusted, upon the most skilled of Gin's men."

The bigger one scratched his chin, the middle man, never relinquished his gaze. Corinth stayed calm, knowing if this did not work nothing would.

"Very well, Corinth." He said simply, "Explain what you will be doing in a month..."

"I can't tell you under these circumstances...only I know of this. I will meet you later tonight and give you the full plan." Feoden shook his head with a smirk. Corinth reached for a silver ring upon his thumb and took it off, putting it alongside the dagger.

"Meet me tonight...I will be there, for I will return for this."
They knew the significance of the ring and nodded. When they left Corinth walked to the bar, grabbed his own mug, filled it to the brim and too a long drink, walking out without paying. He had a lot to think about before the day was over.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2007 06:29
The wind was picking up. Ivi pushed her hair out of her face, still missing a few strands which escaped to her mouth, which she responded with a few spits. Tay-Tay's canter slowed as they approached the city. It was very intimidating, looming before them like a parent about to punish their child.

"Its only for one night...maybe two." the talk of spending the night made Ivi wonder whether she even had enough coins to get her a decent room, to board Tay-Tay and herself. She might end up sleeping in the stables again. She frowned and did not urge Tay-Tay to go any faster. As they drew closer she saw a rider escape 'the dungeon' on her horse and ride in their direction. She realized hobbits were seen often outside the Shire so she tried to put on her best smile and friendliness.

"Good morning, dear." she nodded as the maiden drew closer. Tay-Tay was a bit skittish at the approach of a larger horse and wavered off the path slightly to make room. Ivi struggled with her a bit, but the pony was unmoving. Larger horses, were almost as intimidating as Minas Tirith in the eyes of the blonde pony.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 15, 2007 05:33
Verelin continued his steady pace as the black horse left Minas Tirith behind. But a nagging thought haunted Leyn. She had barely acknowledged the man who had hailed her, but that wasn’t it. There was something else wrong; the feeling would not go away. Lightly she drew back the reins and halted Verelin. A strong sense of foreboding overcame her. “What do you think, boy?” Leyn asked Verelin, stroking his silky mane absently. The stallion turned around and nodded his head towards the stone city. “Perhaps you are right; something is brewing.” A nudge of her boots sent the muscular horse into a full gallop.

As Verelin neared the gate, one of the guards on duty called out to Leyn, “Back again already? One would have thought drinking away your troubles would have helped you, but if you are so insistent on returning, do not let me be the one to stop you.”

The wandering maiden halted her horse and replied harshly, “Unlike one of your stature, I would not stoop so low as to drink until the point of collapsing. I am not that way.” She then ignored his ribald comment and entered the city again, alert to anything out of the ordinary. Something had drawn Leyn back to Minas Tirith, but it was so unapparent to her that when she finally would find out, she would be more surprised than she ever had been since she had seen her family and band slain (look in the db under Llweryn’s history).

(I am sorry that this seems to be getting nowhere, but I have yet to find a niche in which Leyn will fit in well.)
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2007 01:30
Caradan finished his apple and watched the rider on the black horse return through the gate. She didn't look as though she'd forgotten something; indeed she seemed to have no purpose. The guards on the gate seemed to be teasing her about something. Caradan caught something about "drinking away your troubles". Drinking was never something that had appealed to him. Too many ideas that looked good when viewed in the bottom of a glass or tankard lost their brilliance in the morning. He'd seen other youngsters, with great promise as scholars, wasting valuable time by drinking. He adjusted the satchel on his shoulder and thought of the scroll up in the library. There must be some clue there. He should go up to the citadel, to the library. That was where truth lay, not in wine and not in watching strange riders who couldn't make up their minds whether or not to leave the city.

However, something made him pause. He felt drawn to wait for the girl on the black horse. He stood and watched whilst she rode up to him, then fell in to walk beside her. "Good day, mistress. That was a sudden change of heart. I saw you ride out only moments ago. Is there some trouble with your horse?"

As he spoke he became aware of his untidy appearance. He hoped the girl would not mistake him for a beggar or trickster. It was very unlike him to speak to any stranger, least of all a maiden. He was tempted to excuse himself and scurry back to his books but something made him stay. He doubted that this maid would have any interest in him, or in the tales of the beginning of the Third Age. He avoided looking at her, turning his dark eyes more on the horse than on her face. There were three things people usually noticed about Caradan - his red hair, his ink stained clothes and his dark eyes in an otherwise pale face.

"Please forgive me for addressing you without introduction. My name is Caradan. I am a scholar of the lore of Gondor and Arnor. Please, mistress, tell me what brought you back to the city. Or, if you wish to be left in peace, tell me so and I will return to my books."

As he spoke he saw a halfling on a small pony ride towards the gate. The halfling also seemed to be watching the rider on the black horse. Caradan sighed, realising that his scroll might have to wait.

[Edited on 15/1/2007 by Hainima]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 16, 2007 05:23
Leyn’s curiosity was peaked at the scholar standing in front of her. She wasn’t unduly worried by him for Verelin seemed to show a slight interest in the man, flaring his nostrils and getting a scent from him. But she was too tired to force much conversation, but she managed to get something out. “It is a pleasure to meet you, sir Caradan. I beg your pardon if you noticed my indecisiveness. My horse is perfectly fine, but as a scholar, I am sure you have heard of coincidences in which someone has followed their intuition.” Leyn paused, worrying she had said too much. She had never said as much to a stranger as she had to Caradan, but there was something about him that drew her to his presence. Maybe it was the fact that Leyn had an interest in history, and her father had taught her as much as he could while they were out traveling the wilds on which her predecessors had trodden before.

Making her mind to take the plunge regardless of the ridicule she could suffer, Leyn continued, “There is something about to happen, and that something has pulled me back to Minas Tirith. You might call me foolish, but perhaps you have heard stranger things.”

Verelin whickered as he picked up the scent of a pony that was coming through the gate. Leyn’s attention was drawn to what looked like a halfling mounted on the pony’s back. Turning her stallion around, the maiden faced the oncoming halfling. She glanced at Caradan and said, “I haven’t been polite in the ways of introductions either. I am Llweryn, or Leyn. I am a traveler that has seen most of what there is to see in Gondor and Rohan. One might liken me to a Ranger, I suppose.” A sadness came over her, but she shook it off deftly as she watched the pony approach.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2007 06:43
The gate was huge...bigger than Ivi remembered. Of course everything, made by man, was huge in the eyes of a hobbit. Ivi could see Tay-Tay was trying to zone herself out in order to not be frightened by all the hustling and bustling that met them at the gate.

"What brings a halfing out of the Shire?" questioned the guard, obviously trying to look busy and as if he cared. He had stopped alongside Ivi and placed a hand on Tay-Tay's nose forcing her to stop.

"I'm traveling and seek a place of rest." she answered not even looking down at the man.

"I'm afraid we have few accomodations for hobbits here in Minas Tirith..." Ivi knew she would be jeered at. There were always the handful who got a thrill out of seeing a hobbit out of the shire, therefore jeered in order to find out if any juicy gossip followed their arrival.

"I'll manage." she said as she urged Tay-Tay to continue forward, despite the soldier.
"Indeed..." laughed the guard as he allowed Ivi to pass.

The city seemed pretty kosher since Ivi's last visit. Her eyes roamed her surroundings, taking in the large scale houses and walls...and finally the tower standing tall against the cliff. Despite her hate for mankind, she still could not help but wonder at their craft.

Tay-Tay plopped forward with her head down, not taking notice to anything around her. Ivi tried to ignore the stares of those who passed by. A woman upon her horse and a rather odd looking man walked ahead of her, both looked awkward at their current situation. They did seem to be the more decent of the crowd, even though the maiden looked a little rough around the ages. Ivi shrugged mentally and allowed Tay-Tay to walk alongside them.

"Would either of you know where I might find a middling nights stay and a esculent meal?" She pushed backed her rather unruly hair and could care less how unreasonable her appearance was.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2007 02:05
Caradan cast his mind round the inns in Minas Tirith. There were many, some of good quality and some that only the roughest would enter. He knew that halflings were fond of good food in large quantities; their small size being no indication of a small appetite. He knew some clean inns where the food was good.

"You could try The Star. The food is good, plentiful and not costly and the main rooms are clean. I've no knowledge of the bedrooms though or what they would charge for a night's lodging. It's not far from here. I believe they have some stabling for horses as well. I'll take you there. Unless, Leyn, you are a traveller, do you know a good lodging in the city?"

"My name is Caradan. I live in the city. This is Leyn. I'm sorry, Leyn, I don't know where you are from."

Caradan could see his day's work was likely to be at an end. He'd stepped out to go to the citadel and now he was heading off with a young woman and a hobbit-maid and their horses towards an inn. Perhaps once they reached the inn he would be able to get away and get back to his studies.

They walked along the road, picking their way past stalls and round children playing in the street. Two boys were kicking an inflated bladder around. One of them kicked it to Caradan who attempted to kick it back but sent it across to the other side of the street, narrowly missing Tay-Tay who sidestepped. Iri glared at Caradan. "I'm sorry," he said, "I always was clumsy."

After that he walked in silence beside the two riders, wondering if he should just leave them to find their own way. Leyn probably had a better idea of the lodgings in the city. She was a traveller after all. Perhaps she had her own place to go. She had not mentioned any need of lodgings but seemed prepared to follow where the halfling went.

They turned into the street where the inn was. There were several inns in this street and Caradan sensed that perhaps Leyn was familiar with some of them.

The day was very strange. He was sure something was about to happen. This was stupid; truth was in scrolls not in strange feelings. Then he recalled the tales of how many events in history had started with a chance encounter. There was the tale of Mithrandir meeting the dwarf, Thorin, and all that had followed from that meeting. He shivered, although it was not a cold day then looked at is companions, "Here we are, ladies."
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 19, 2007 04:49
Leyn was surprised to hear the halfling speak, but the emotion didn't show on her face. She dismounted Verelin in front of the inn and said to Caradan, "I don't know this city as well as you do, I am thinking, but I am sure this inn is...well, as respectable as you can hope for." She looked over Ivi and Caradan. "You said you didn't know where I was from, Caradan? I am originally from Rohan, but my family traveled around in a band of wanderers." At this, Leyn halted her speech. A dark look clouded her eyes, and she refused to say more.

Verelin pricked his ears forward as they caught a low sound, like that of footsteps. His nostrils flared slightly, and he gave a warning neigh from deep in his chest. Leyn looked around over her horse's shoulder and commented, "I think, my friends, we are being watched." She nodded her head towards a wiry-looking figure studying them from under the eaves of a thatched cottage. Who it was or his purpose was unknown to Leyn, but she didn't really care as long as he didn't mean them harm.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2007 07:06
Ivi oddly trusted this clumsy fellow, who called himself Caradan. Despite the many markings upon his clothing of his clumsiness and the fact that she could see in his eyes that his thoughts never settled completely...it was usually those kinda people that no more of what is going on around them. However, the one known was Leyn, had Ivi a bit on the edge. As they arrived at the inn, Leyn began to explain where she was from, forcing Ivi's eyebrows to raise.

"I think, my friends, we are being watched." Ivi followed they maiden's glare to see a man...smirking at the group under the shade of a cottage. He seemed to casual and up to no good. Ivi scoffed and dismounted Tay-Tay quickly. Not waiting for the others as a stable hand lead the reluctant Tay-Tay to the stables, she looked back at the man one more time and then nodded to the others who seemed to follow.

Now this was an unlikely bunch. A fidgety scholar, a wary maiden, and a casual hobbit, all entering the same inn. They are up to something Corinth decided as he bit the rest of his dirty nail and spit on the ground smirking slightly as he saw, they noticed his rude staring.

He waved in a mocking sort of way, which didn't seem to please the maiden. He couldn't help but chuckle...the man just seemed puzzled and his mind on other things. Corinth knew he had a limited amount of time and this folks looked promising.

"The Elendilimar has never been found...some say it remains at the bottom of the river Isilidur died in...others say it was stolen by the orcs..." Corinth's ears perked as he caught the end of a nearby conversation of an old woman with a few young children.

"What do you think?" asked one of the children.
"I think that whoever finds it will be wealthier then King Elessar himself, and a hero of Gondor." laughed the old woman. Corinth ignored the group he was initially watching and turned completely listening to the elder. She saw him turn and smiled,

"Ah, close ears have found my story tempting."
"A story? or truth?" he asked.
"Truth if you find it, story if it remains lost." she pointed a bony finger at him. The kids at become bored with the distraction and ran off looking for more entertainment. Corinth watched as the lady picked up her basket and readied herself to heave herself up and walk away.

"Where was it last seen?" he asked, trying not to sound too interested. She sighed heavily and began to walk off, he annoyingly followed her and she did not answer him for awhile. Without looking at him she walked the marketplace casually looking at vegetables and placing a few in her basket.
"Well?"
"If you want a story you will have to pay, young man." she turned to him. He noticed her missing teeth and the stench which rose from her clothing and quickly dug into his coins. Giving her one she smiled and nodded and continued walking.
"The Elendilimar is a stone, worn by the Kings of Old...passed down to King Isildur. When Isildur was killed at the Gladden Fields it was never found..."
Corinth waited for more and pushed passed a few people to remain beside her.
"Thats it?" he asked impatiently.
She looked at him with black eyes and nodded.
"Thats what you paid for."
Frustrated Corinth walked away, however he snuck back and wryed his fingers into the old lady's belt and took his coin back. Flipping it into the air and catching it with a smile he began walking back to the bar. Hopefully that scholar remained where he saw him enter..he had a few questions for him.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 20, 2007 04:11
Against her nature, Leyn felt that she had to speak with the man that watched them like a hawk. There was a certain look about him that she didn't like; a shifty look one might say. Leyn, without taking her eyes off the man, told the others, "I shall be back. If they ask either of you for a room, tell them I will take one and pay them for it later." Verelin nipped at a hostler that tried to take him away. Leyn turned her head for a moment and told the horse, "Let him take you, Verelin. I will come to you later." The black horse suffered himself to be led away, and Leyn returned to watch the man.

Normally not one to seek out others, there was something that disturbed her about him. Leyn thought he had the look of a mercenary, but not as fierce. Possibly perhaps a thief? She gripped the hilt of her sword, Hwethgwynar, and hiding her emotions behind a face of stone (as was typical with her), Leyn strode purposefully over to the man.

Withdrawing her dagger and stroking the keen blade meaningfully (though not in a threatening way), Leyn made her purpose known. "I noticed you standing over here observing my companions and I rather closely, good sir. Do you find us particularly interesting or is there some purpose to your...scrutiny?" There was a look in her eyes that brooked no lying, but there was no knowing what intentions he had, good or bad. Leyn was an even-tempered person; she meant well even if her tone was abrupt. She held his gaze with her own, her hazel eyes looking him up and down as if he were concealing something. The maiden gripped her sword more tightly; she was taking no chances.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2007 05:40
Corinth walked towards the inn he saw them enter, but his eyes were reverted to the very maiden who was seen with them approaching him, with her dagger unsheathed. Her purpose was known,
"I noticed you standing over here observing my companions and I rather closely, good sir. Do you find us particularly interesting or is there some purpose to your...scrutiny?"

He smirked and casually glanced at passer bys, thinking carefully of his words. "How can a man like myself, not stare, at a maiden....like yourself." he said meeting her eyes, noticing their hazel hue. He did not want to put off that he was too interested, he learned that the hard way earlier in his life. Corinth was more interested in speaking with the scholar then this maiden or the hobbit. She did not seem pleased with his remark, and he knew she wouldn't be that is why he said it.
He chuckled lightly, "Let us forget this. I was just making my way to your inn, to meet you...and your unlikely companions. May I buy you a drink?"

He tried to ignore the dagger and her menacing glare. She didn't trust him, and not many people did.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 22, 2007 12:57
Leyn laughed bitterly. She didn't care for this rough man at all. Her eyes narrowed slightly. "I really don't care to drink, not after all that I have been through," she said harshly, masking her hurt at the past. "I doubt that you have any innocent reason to want to meet us. And so before we go in, let me know at least your name if not your business with us. I am not to be taken lightly either so mind your tongue." She blocked his path and waited for his answer.

Her father had told her never to block the path of anyone, but at this particular moment, Leyn wasn't about to heed his advice. She had no intention of letting this slippery fellow go. After a while of silence, Leyn laid the blade of her dagger against his neck. "Speak up, now!" she commanded, danger alit in her eyes.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2007 05:12
Corinth jumped slightly the touch of the cold blade against his neck. He didn't make anymore sudden movement for the point would surely prick and break the skin. He worked a sly smile upon his face and looked down at the blade and then returned her stare.

"Reyth." he answered nonchalantly. He did not fear this maiden, she was hard hearted he could see it in her eyes. Life had not dealt with her too kindly, yet he did not care either.

She was in his way and he had only a limited amount of time. He did not make a move at her, he knew she would move if he chose his words right. Did he really seem that snakey?...he needed to work on that.

Corinth was in the habit of never giving out his real name, do to the many who would see him dead. He had a whole list of names he goes by. Reyth was the first to pop into his mind and he knew he would probably have to stick with it for awhile.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2007 01:23
Caradan saw Leyn approach the man, then noticed the sword in her hand. He gulped, hoping no-one would notice his unease at the company he seemed to be in. His knives were only for cutting meat, sharpening pens and trimming parchment. It was a constant gripe of his landlady that he used her kitchen knives for his pens when he had, once again, mislaid his own. He felt in his belt for his knife and then remembered that he had left it on the floor of his room. He glanced at the hobbit to try and gauge her reaction. Perhaps, as a traveller, she was more accustomed to people holding discussions with swords in their hands. He hoped the landlord didn't see Leyn's sword. The man she was threatening might be a friend of his; he might not want guests who drew swords on passers-by.

Besides that, he didn't like the way the man was looking at him. Caradan had never noticed him before although that didn't signify much. He tried not to stare at the stranger but found his eyes kept turning back towards the door.

Caradan and Ivi sat at one of the tables. A potboy approached and Caradan ordered three ales. Time to buy ale for the stranger if he insisted on joining them. He asked about rooms and the potboy promised to send the landlord to see them. Caradan wondered whether to ask him about the man in the doorway.

The two of them sat in silence, watching Leyn and the man at the door. Caradan was surprised to see Leyn blocking the man's path. This did not look like the sort of character to be crossed without trouble. He wondered, yet again, if he should leave Leyn and Ivi and return to his work. However, he felt he couldn't abandon the halfling and decided he had better think of something to say.

"What brings you to Minas Tirith?" he asked.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2007 04:58
Ivi was hardly paying attention to the man much less the fact that Leyn refused to let him pass her. Man will be man... she thought to herself.

"What brings you to Minas Tirith." the one across from her asked. Ivi looked at him, with an arched eyebrow. He seemed to want the silence to cease.

"I'm here for a night, then onward to Dol Amroth, unless of course fortunes of a higher sort approach me here." she answered as one arrived with their drinks. Ivi grabbed the wooden mug and looked down into it, it was large compared to her small size, and the smell was much stronger than what she was used to, it almost made her gag. Ivi never drank ale. With a look of disgust she pushed the mug away.

"Thanks anyway." she said, not wanting to offend the man.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2007 01:51
Caradan looked at the mug the hobbit had pushed away and then at his own. What had possessed him to order ale? He didn't like ale. Ivi clearly didn't like ale either, at least not this ale. He knew halflings usually liked ale. Although he'd never met a hobbit-maid before; perhaps hobbit-maids didn't drink.

The inn was fairly crowded and noisy. The potboy had disappeared and there was no chance to order new drinks. Perhaps he should have ordered food. He tried a sip of the ale. It confirmed his feeling that he didn't really like ale. He fingered the coins in his pouch. He didn't have enough money for food anyway.

Now they were sitting in an awkward silence, staring at the table, the floor, the mugs of ale they didn't actually want or at the door where Leyn still confronted the stranger.

The landlord approached them. Caradan rose. "Excuse me, you have no need of me. Farewell. I wish you a good journey tomorrow."

He walked towards the door and tried to squeeze past Leyn and the man. "Leyn, er..., um..., are you alright? Do you er... need any um help, or anything? Ivi is sitting over there. I have to leave. There's um... something I need to ... well I've work to do. Farewell. Er.. I bought you an ale, it's on the table, over there where Ivi is. I don't think she likes ale. Nor do I. I'm sorry, excuse me. I must..." He stopped, realising he was gabbling. "Anyway, fare you well, mistress. Excuse me, master."
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 31, 2007 07:58
Leyn glared at the man, not believing a word he said. “I trust you as much as I trust a snake,” she hissed venomously at him. “I don’t believe that the name you gave me is your own.” But common sense finally took control of her, and she lowered her dagger. She let out a heavy sigh and stepped back. “There is no point in keeping you here. You have your own business, and I have mine. Why should I stand in your way?” Turning away from the man, she entered the inn. She had acknowledged Caradan’s leaving with only a nod and hoped she would see him again. The scholar still interested her, and she would have loved to discuss different topics with him.

Leyn made her way to the table that Caradan had indicated, with its tankard of ale. She sat down and sighed. What were things coming to? She had confronted a man when she had no real valid reason to, she had nearly drunk herself to the point of passing out once or twice, and other things besides. Looking at the drink in disgust, she thrust it away from her. She was only twenty-five, hardly of an age to feel old, but old was how she felt. Life had been too hard on her, and with no purpose, Leyn was a wanderer, a rogue. She laughed bitterly. Little wonder she was taunted by the guards.

All of her anger ebbed away, leaving only a feeling of restlessness. Leyn needed to do something with her life, not to be a wanderer forever. A journey of some sort. She laughed bitterly again, and her gaze fell upon Ivi. In an odd way, Leyn admired the little halfling. She was fierce in her own way, and it seemed she distrusted men. Not so unlike Leyn, but as far as Leyn knew, Ivi had no quarrel with them like the maiden did. Who knew? But one thing was certain, things were about to take a very strange turn.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2007 09:10
"Anyway, fare you well, mistress. Excuse me, master." as the scholar squirmed between the door way and Corinth, he cursed under his breath. There goes the one he needed. He let out a sigh, annoyed that this little run on had continued this long.

“I trust you as much as I trust a snake,” she hissed venomously at him. “I don’t believe that the name you gave me is your own. There is no point in keeping you here. You have your own business, and I have mine. Why should I stand in your way?” Turning away from him, she entered the inn. Corinth scowled behind her back and rubbed the area of his neck where the prick of her knife had almost nicked.

Then he remembered that the scholar left. He quickly turned on his heel and went after him, he had not gotten far. Corinth grabbed by the shoulder and whirled him around, catching the young man off guard. Corinth gave him a foolish smile and nodded, "Sorry to startle you sir, but I have a few questions needing answered and you seem to be the sort of chap to go to when questions are indeed unanswered, and needing an answer. So could I buy you a drink, or would you perfer to talk elsewhere...?" he talked rather fast, not wanting the man to really dwell to much on the awkwardness of the situation.

He lifted his hand up letting a few of the stolen coins he had happened upon early this morning shake from the pocket tied to the inside of his wrist and reached for the young scholars hand as if he was giving him a handshake, and allowing the coins to slip into the scholar's hand. "Your help is greatly appreciated, my friend."

Ivi followed Leyn with her eyes as she sat in front of her obviously fluster. The few sarcastic laughs which escaped her, told Ivi a lot of what this woman was going through and how she was disgusted at the sight of the ale. Ivi was expressionless.

"I see you have no taste for man's drink as well...or you have had past experiances with it already."

Ivi did not wait for an answer, she looked into the woman's eyes briefly she could see pain and loss. This woman had seen some hard times.

"So you are of Rohan?" she asked her simply placing her tiny elbow on the table and lifting herself up slightly so she wasn't so low compared to the woman's eye sight. She tucked her legs under herself and situated herself so she was a bit higher and less inferior.

[Edited on 31/1/2007 by Iri]
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2007 09:35
Caradan looked at the coins in his hand and then at the man. "Excuse me, I'm in no need of a drink and I have work to do. I doubt I will be able to answer your questions. I am interested in the lore of this land and my homeland of Arnor. I suspect these would not interest you."

He tried to walk away but Corinth still held his wrist. Caradan had sensed that this man was somebody Leyn disliked and, even though he had only just met Leyn, he felt he could trust her. He did not feel he could trust this man. He resented being held but did not feel he could shake the man off. He wasn't sure it would be a wise thing to do, after all, the man might have highly undesirable companions watching them as they spoke and waiting for a sign.

Suddenly, there came the sound of marching feet and horses ridden down the street. The crowds parted to let them through and Caradan noticed the rider on the lead horse. He bowed, expecting Eldarion and his companions to pass by.

The horseman reined up, signalling to his companions to halt. He was a young man with dark hair and grey eyes. He wore the livery of the guards of the citadel and a silver fillet round his head. He smiled when he saw Caradan. "Greetings, master scholar. You are not at your books today? Tell me, have you found your missing scroll yet? Does my grandsire's library tell you of Isildur's jewel? You know my father searched for it in Isengard and did not find it. When we met in the library you said you were sure that there would be an account of it somewhere. If you can find any word of where the Elendilmir might be then I will go to search for it."

"Your Highness," said Caradan, looking up at the prince, "I'm afraid I have still not found any information on the Elendilmir. It was lost when your ancestor, Isildur, fell. I have found no word of its fate in the books from Rivendell. However, there are other scrolls. There is a large box of papers your father brought out of Isengard when he cleared Saruman's archives. Somebody was set to catalogue those but he died and nobody else has looked at them. Perhaps the answer lies there. One day, I will list all these documents and then other scholars will not spend so long searching."

Eldarion smiled, "No, Caradan. You will never catalogue all those books. You spend too long reading those that interest you and ignore those that don't. The accounts of Isildur's fate would be carefully indexed and stored on the best shelves but the accounts of the Ruling Stewards would gather dust on the floor." He reached down to clap Caradan on the shoulder. "Come, Master Caradan, back to your books. I will visit the library this afternoon and help you. If I could bring the Elendilmir to my father it would show that I too can succeed in a quest. Maybe not so great as being part of the defeat of Sauron but still something of which he should be proud."

Caradan was sure the man beside him seemed not to acknowledge Eldarion with more than the curtest of bows. However, he had definitely taken notice of the prince's interest in the Elendilmir.

Eldarion and his companions rode on, heading towards the gate. Caradan glared at the man, unaware, as always, of how disconcerting many people found his dark eyes. "I must go. As you hear, I have work to do. I really think there may be something in the box of documents from Isengard. Please, if you want my help, tell me your business and your name. You may come with me if you wish, as far as the library but I have no time for drinking." He waited, fingering the coins Corinth had given him and remembering the old, blind beggar up by the library; he would give him the coins as he passed. He knew Eldarion would not help him search through the scrolls. He would appear in the library sometime and finger through the documents. However, he would want some information and Caradan wanted to help the prince. Meanwhile, how was he going to deal with this disreputable man who wanted to ask questions which Caradan was sure he would not want to answer?

[OOC: Hope this is OK for bringing in Eldarion.]

[Edited on 6/2/2007 by Hainima]
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2007 06:16
"I must go. As you hear, I have work to do. I really think there may be something in the box of documents from Isengard. Please, if you want my help, tell me your business and your name. You may come with me if you wish, as far as the library but I have no time for drinking."

Having heard the conversation between this said scholar and the prince, Corinth knew he could not pass this up. It was his ticket out of trouble.

"I am..."for a moment he could remember the name he gave the woman, "Reyth. And I just happened to have a question about the item the Lord was concerning about. I will perfer to just follow and look over some of the scripts myself..." He said playing a smile, this man was obviously apprehensive at being held from his work. Corinth wanted to stay on his good side and simply choose to stay out of his way. This...Caradan held a look in his eyes that Corinth almost admired. Maybe it was the fact that he actually knew what he was doing in life, not just floating around as Corinth choose to live.

However, he also got himself in a bit of more trouble with is statement...he could not read, but he had been in similiar situations and could work himself out of this one, simply by asking casual questions and hoping to hear a bit of conversations nearby to get a clue on what is going on.

Eldarion said he would be meeting in the library later, Corinth made note to stay till then. It was extremely ironic to the rogue that the Prince had a similiar interest in the Elendilmir. Yet, fate always had a way with working in Corinth's favor it seemed.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: February 07, 2007 09:15
Leyn heaved another heavy sigh and met Ivi’s eyes. In the maiden’s own gaze shown an ongoing weariness, one that never seemed to end. “Yes, I am of Rohan. Edoras in fact,” Leyn replied slowly, her attention wavering like that of a drunk though she was perfectly sober. “My father was from there, and my mother was the daughter of a Ranger. But we left Rohan to go roving with a band of wanderers.” Piercing sadness shot through her body, but nothing showed on Leyn’s face. That was what always happened when she told her story to others. She would remain like a stone; only her eyes revealed what she was thinking. But even now, they began to hide any emotions Leyn felt. Slowly she was becoming immune to letting her emotions show. No matter how much she hurt inside, Leyn refused to show the world any vulnerability through a passionate countenance.

With a raised hand, Leyn caught the attention of a barmaid. “What is it I can get for you, m’lady?” the maid asked, her dirty face thin and her clothes shabby.

“A mug of soup,” Leyn replied, taking out a silver coin and flipping it into the maid’s grimy hand. Her attention refocused on Ivi. “Now tell me something about yourself if you wish. But mind that it isn’t my intention to impede upon anything that is too personal.” She knew that feeling all too well when people tried to dig into her business. No, Leyn was best off left alone.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2007 06:02
Ivi watched the maiden closely. Her spirit was waning, it seemed she no longer had much to go on. Where all this originated, Ivi had no clue, but the mention of her family turned Leyn's face to stone. Ivi's eyebrows rose once more.

“Now tell me something about yourself if you wish. But mind that it isn’t my intention to impede upon anything that is too personal.”

Ivi was silent for a moment, thinking over the question carefully as she did all questions asked of her. It wasn't until the bar maid arrived with Leyn's soup that she answered her.

"I am of the Fallohide hobbits, my horse and I have been traveling Middle Earth for quite a few decades now. I am simply passing through Minas Tirith, for this is not one of my most enjoyable places to be."

She watched as Leyn began to eat her soup. She wondered why she had no appetite then she remembered, it was simply being within the same walls of Man that made her cringe and simply want to leave. She could tolerate this woman however, for she seemed just as set apart from the others as herself.

"A band of wanderers, eh? Where is your band now? Why do you follow them, yet now sit alone in a tavern...with a hobbit?" she askedd looking out towards the crowd, she propped her chin into her hand, resting her elbow on the table. She tapped her long fingernails just under her nose, there was more to this woman and Ivi suspected she would not meet this woman ever again, might as well get the information as she now sat in front of her.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: February 09, 2007 05:38
Leyn's interest was peaked yet again as she talked to the halfling. "A Fallohide halfling, eh?" she asked, a weak smile lighting her face. "I have heard of you, but never had the chance to meet one. Such is the extent of my travels." She gave a wry laugh.

But then Leyn's face grew more serious. "You ask what happened to my band? A contingent of Rohirrim massacred them, but the assault wasn't intentional, that I know. Everyone was killed, save my brother, at least as far as I've heard. But that is another story yet to be told...or found out." Leyn stopped speaking; this was all she would allow to be told. There was no way that she would reveal more than Ivi needed to know. She was never to find out the horrors that Leyn had come across when she found her band that fateful day. She cringed inwardly as she relived it. But Leyn shook her head deftly and cleared her mind. There were other things more important than her life story. "Tell me, Ivi, is it? What brings you here to Minas Tirith when I thought that all of you lived in Eriador. But perhaps I am mistaken."
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 06:23
"All of my kin...are in Eriador, I choose to leave. My spirit can no longer stan the confines and memories of my home. I choose Middle Earth as my home, even the most unsavory places." she said referring to the drunkards who were stumbling out after spending all their gold they were just paid. She was a blunt halfling and never avoided the truth of things. She meditated on that which Leyn revealed to her about her past.

There was an exchange of silence between the two, the halfling and the maiden. Ivi would catch a glance at the maiden, wondering. "So you have no band, yet your brother still lives. Where is he?" she asked to continue the conversation.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 07:42
Leyn met Ivi's eyes directly. "I know not where he is or where he could be. I thought that by coming here I might be able to find out, but so far nothing has turned up. And that is my purpose for wandering right now. I will continue to search until I find him, and after that..." she let off with a sigh. "Perhaps we will continue to travel. And if I don't find him, or if indeed he is dead, then well, maybe another purpose will find me." Leyn stopped abruptly, feeling she had said too much, and she didn't think the halfling even really cared.

There they sat at the table in the tavern, the dim interior masking what secrets were being kept from the light of day. Both maidens were silent for a moment before Leyn spoke up again. "I agree with you as far as having Middle-Earth as your home. No place calls to me, but it is all comforting in some way. What do you think?"
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 01:47
Caradan started walking back through the city towards the library. He was half hoping he might lose the other man. People often had trouble keeping pace with Caradan, even when he wasn't in a hurry. He would have returned to his room to collect another pen but he did not wish to let his companion discover where he lived; so he walked on.

They passed the beggar at the corner and Caradan dropped the coins Corinth had given him into the man's bowl. "Here, Amlach, buy yourself something to eat. Is it a good day today? It seems quiet."
The man felt the coins and smiled. His eyes were opaque with cataracts but he knew many of his regular donors by the sound of their voices and, even, by the sound of their footsteps. "Thank you, Caradan. It has been a good day today. The prince came past. He is always generous to me. You seem in a hurry today. I mean, in more of a hurry than is usual, even for you."
"Yes, Amlach," replied Caradan. "I have a commission from the prince. He encourages my search for information on the Elendilmir. I have a theory for where I may find a clue. That is my task for this afternoon. I have with me somebody who has offered to help and the prince has said he will come and join me later today."

Leaving the beggar, Caradan led Corinth into the library. They walked down a flight of steps, along a corridor and up two flights of steps before reaching an area surrounded by shelves of scrolls and books. Caradan began rifling through some documents on the desk, found a key, opened a drawer and pulled out a box, dropped the box on the floor, picked it up, opened it and looked inside. He pulled out several keys, looked through them before selecting one and walking off down another corridor with Corinth following him.

They came to an old man sitting at a desk. Caradan greeted him. "Good day master. I need the small oak chest that came from Isengard. I don't think anybody has catalogued its contents and it may have some interesting documents in it."
"I'm sure it has interesting documents in it, Caradan," the man replied. "Why have you suddenly decided you want to look in it? It sat near your desk for several months. Master Gwindor had it by his desk for several years before you arrived. I don't believe he ever did more than look inside and count the scrolls. That was when King Elessar first brought it from Isengard. I doubt we even have the key."
Caradan smiled, "I believe this is the key. Please, may I have the box. I have a theory and I must follow it."
"Very well, my boy," replied the man. "I will take you to the chest. However, one thing first; who is your friend? I can't allow just anybody to wander around the library; we have valuable scrolls and books here. Of course, if you vouch for him then I will consider it but I must know his name and business."
Caradan glanced at Corinth, waiting for him to reply.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 07:16
Corinth was too busy that he really wasn't listening to the present conversation as he should have been. He had never set foot in this place, not even the front steps, so naturally he had to take it in. It could prove useful to him in any other future situation.

"Sir..." repeated the elder who stood in front of him. Corinth looked to him with wide eyes and a mouth slightly opened with a 'huh?' expression.

"Your name, please."
"Oh.. Reyth." he said nodding offering a hand shake, the older man accepted it firmly. "What is your business here?" Corinth cocked his head slightly to the side with a rise eyebrow, "My business? Well....that would be..." he let his mind reel like a spinning wheel and grabbed randomly at a word, "Curiosity. Simply wanting some questions answer for my own...master," he cleared his throat uncomfortably, as if calling him master as Caradan did would win him some favor, "Curiosity." he repeated. The man simply stared un-amused at his answer. Corinth offered a weak smile as the man simply turned looking to the younger scholar for answers.

"I think Middle Earth was meant for its inhabitants to roam, I do not believe in the boundaries others have put up. The Valar made this a home in its entirety, it is meant to be explored, not settled in one corner and ignored." she said situating herself a bit more, the wooden bench she sat upon was proving rather uncomfortable.

"So how long have you been searching, Leyn. For your brother and your purpose?" she said scratching her head. She was eager to get into some conversation, the walls of the inn seemed to begin to enclose upon her as they always did. She knew her pony Tay-Tay was fidgeting in the same manner in her man-made stall.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 11:33
Leyn rested her chin on her hand, her eyes focusing unsteadily at a knot in the wood in the wall behind Ivi. "Around six years or so. Nothing has turned up, as I have said, but my heart tells me he is alive. But I am always ready to go whither the road will take me, and I think after Minas Tirith, I might try Dol Amroth. I am acquainted with the daughter of Prince Elphir's valet, and the valet has plenty of contacts that might prove useful," she replied vaguely.

Feeling that finally their conversation was going somewhere, Leyn began to relax, both internally and physically. Her stone facade was beginning to recede, and a smile began to creep across her face. Leyn was warming to the little halfling, with whom she seemed to have a lot in common.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2007 06:22
The mood of the maiden before her and the her situation reminded Iviera much of herself. There was silence, Ivi played the thought of Leyn traveling to Dol Amroth in her mind.

"Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread through shadows to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight. Then world behind and home ahead, we'll wander back to home and bed. Mist and twilight, cloud and shade, Away shall fade, Away shall fade, Fire and lamp, and meat and bread, And then to bed, And then to bed." she quoted softly.

"You should be careful my new friend, Leyn of Rohan. Do not waste your life searching. You live once...only once. Use that time wisely, for you will not get another chance to live again. Your brother may be alive, yet then he may not. You should not so much search yourself, but trust the God's will help you as you live your life for you. With this search of yours you will quickly find yourself as the Man of the Moon did...An unwary guest on a lunatic quest."

Iviera yawned as she tapped her long dirty fingernails on the wooden table, she should request a room from the inn keeper pretty soon, or there would be none left. Yet, she did not want to interrupt the what was an awkward conversation, now a very relaxing peaceful converse with the Rohirrim maiden.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2007 01:56
"I will watch Reyth," replied Caradan. "He too is interested in the search for the Elendilmir. So is the Lord Eldarion."

Caradan was not sure he was right to take responsibility for Reyth. He was slightly concerned about the way the man always paused before giving his name, as if trying to remember it. However, if he could get to look in the chest and it contained the documents he hoped, then he would need some help if there was to be any chance of having an answer for Eldarion. All they needed was a clue; just something that would give a lead. He knew the king had searched long and hard for the Elendilmir but without success.

Caradan and Corinth followed the librarian down several flights of stairs and along a corridor. The man unlocked a door and pointed to a small chest. "There it is, young Caradan. Let us see if your key fits. I believed the key was lost but if it was on your desk then it is not surprising that nobody knew. How you managed to find it is a mystery."

Caradan knelt by the box and fitted the key into the lock. It did not turn. He tried again, pulling the key slightly out and then again, this time lifting it slightly. This time it turned and the lock opened. The librarian laid a hand on his arm. "Careful, my boy, some of Curunir's catches were poisoned. Men opened the box, only to receive a poisoned cut from a second catch within. Bring the box to somewhere it can be opened carefully. I see you have the key."

Caradan relocked the box and he and Corinth picked it up and carried it back to the librarian's desk. The old man produced a pair of stout leather gauntlets and a mask. Caradan wondered what he was doing with such things. He had never come across a need for such precautions when opening chests in the library. Perhaps his library wasn't such a safe place as he'd always thought. He wondered what Reyth thought of poisoned locks. Perhaps he was familiar with them.

They unlocked the box, opened it carefully and peered inside. It was full of scrolls but nothing else. The librarian ran a cloth round the rim. A sharp inner edge cut the cloth. "That would cut your arm or hand as you looked in the box and it is probably poisoned. Curunir was an evil man and guarded his secrets well," said the old man. Caradan opened his satchel, "Can we put the scrolls in here?" The librarian looked in the satchel. "We could, if it was empty. Here is another box. Be careful though. These are fragile documents." He lifted the scrolls into the new box. Caradan and Corinth bade him farewell and returned to Caradan's desk, bearing a box which, they both hoped, contained a clue to the whereabouts of Elendil's great jewel.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: March 14, 2007 10:57
Leyn withdrew inside herself and considered what Ivi said. "I suppose you are right, but it seems that he is my only purpose for existence left, unless I find a man to settle down with, and I do not want that, not now. But maybe there is something out there for me yet." She gave a wry smile and sighed. That had been her thought for a long time; she had just voiced it now.

The maid from Rohan edged forward in her seat and leaned toward the little halfling. "What did you think of that man that I confronted before? Reyth he said his name was, but I do not believe him. Call it a warrior's instinct."

Waves of exhaustion fell upon Leyn, and she fought to stifle a yawn. It had been a long journey and a long day. A soft bed was to be called for because there didn't seem to be much purpose for today unless Caradan came back in a relatively short time.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2007 01:36
Caradan took a scroll out of the box and handed it to Corinth. "Read this, Reyth. Note down who is the author, whether it is a letter or an account of some event or place and some details about the contents. Here are parchment and pens. We're looking for anything that might suggest Saruman knew of the Elendilmir. I mean, I know he would have known of it; anybody who studied the tales of Isildur and Elendil would have known of the Elendilmir. I mean, anything that might suggest he had seen it or seen accounts of its fate."
He noticed something of the concern in Corinth's expression. "Most accounts from Isengard are in the Common Speech, though sometimes in a rather old form. It's easier than if this box came from Rivendell and they were in Sindarin or Valinorean. Though, perhaps you read Elvish scripts and tongues?"

He took another scroll from the box, unrolled it and began to read, making notes on his own sheet of parchment.

"Are you alright?" he asked, noticing that Corinth still hadn't started.

Before Corinth had a chance to answer, they were joined by the prince.

"You have found something, Caradan? Is this a new collection?"
"It is a box from Isengard, my lord," replied Caradan. "To tell the truth, this is not the original box. That contined a trap but, fortunately, Master librarian was expecting it and opened the box safely before transferring the scrolls to this temporary store."
"This scroll does not seem relevant to our search. My friend, Reyth, has another. Reyth, have you found anything yet? Perhaps, my lord, you could take another scroll and help? It would speed our search. I know you are interested in finding any information about Isildur's jewel."

Eldarion took another scroll and opened it. His eyes scanned the writing and his face broke into a smile.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email