Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Darkest Before the Dawn
on: April 02, 2007 06:00
Corinth twiddled with the quill between his finger tips lightly, he sorta looked like he was doing something productive. He had placed the scroll given to him strategically behind the other pile of scrolls thus the scholar could not see his progress. He saw Caradan working towards his scroll and thus managed to look up to see if there was a way out while staying in the situation. Boy this was going to be difficult...

"Are you alright?" he asked, noticing that Corinth still hadn't started. Corinth managed a smile and was to answer a lie, when the prince entered rather on time for the said deviant.

They began in a conversation which Corinth tried to concentrate on while at the same time trying to find an excuse not to read along with the others.

"My friend, Reyth, has another. Reyth, have you found anything yet? Perhaps, my lord, you could take another scroll and help? It would speed our search. I know you are interested in finding any information about Isildur's jewel."

Eldarion took another scroll and opened it. His eyes scanned the writing and his face broke into a smile. Corinth frowned.
"You found something of interest, my lord?" he asked not giving Caradan the chance to ask. Maybe if he was able to conjure up some conversation he could get by.

"It seems, Caradan, we are in for a very daunting task. This script is old and written rather crudely." Eldarion snickered and placed the scroll along the table and searched for empty parchment, and other needed supplies.

"My lord, you could use my ink..." he said pushing the bottle and quill towards him with a nod. Eldarion did not seem to think twiced and thanked the man beginning his own notes. Caradan looked to Corinth as if suspicious he nodded back and quickly grabbed another scroll and acted as if he was reading it.

They sat in silence for a long while. Corinth was getting bored staring a ink blots he knew he would never understand. His eye lids were beginning to grow heavy so he had sat down on a stool and fixed his manner so Eldarion, nor Caradan could see that his eyes were shut and a slight bit of drool dribbled from his mouth as he attempted to past the time more quickly.
-------------------------------------------------

The maid from Rohan edged forward in her seat and leaned toward the little halfling. "What did you think of that man that I confronted before? Reyth he said his name was, but I do not believe him. Call it a warrior's instinct."

"An instince I would not be able to claim. However, I too, do not believe him. Call it a bonified halfling distrust, runs in the blood I suppose." she said slightly smiling. Despite her dislike of the race of Men this maiden had proven herself a delightful companion.

"So you are awaiting the return of the scholar?" she asked, nodding towards the door.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: April 03, 2007 11:41
Leyn remained ponderous as she replied. "I suppose I am," she allowed, reclining in her chair. "He seems very knowledgably, and I have a feeling that he is about to embark on some journey upon which he could use my help. But I do not mean to be presumptuous, of course."

She considered the halfling maid. Leyn had grown to like her and had found much in common with her. Their personalities were similar, as were their suspicions. But, if for no other purpose than for that was how she was, Leyn remained guarded still. Life had been too hard for the Rohirric maid for her not to be.

"And what do you propose we do?" Leyn asked Ivi, breaking the silence. "Shall we wait for our bookish friend, retire for the night, or go looking? 'Tis up to you. It makes no difference to me."
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2007 12:27
Caradan noticed that Reyth had become very quiet. The man did not seem to be joining in the search with as much interest as Eldarion. In fact, it seemed as if he might even be asleep.

Meanwhile, Caradan continued his search. The sun was beginning to sink and the room was getting dark. He lit a couple of lamps and he and Eldarion continued their reading. He turned to the prince, "I think we have something here. This scroll tells of a search that Saruman made near the Gladden Fields. It says he found something of great value but does not say what; just that it was a treasure of the men of the west and one that they would give much to recover. What have you found, my lord?"

"This is a plan of the cellars of Isengard. It says little of their contents. However, the dimensions of the rooms do not add up. There is something missing. I have never seen the cellars of Isengard so perhaps that is expected. However, I would love to go there and see for myself. Will you join me Caradan?" he said.
"What about you, friend?" he asked Corinth.

Corinth started at the sound, realising the prince was talking to him.

Caradan got to his feet, bundling the scrolls into his satchel. "I think we should go back and find the hobbit maid and the lady. I am concerned about them and, perhaps, they would like to hear what we have found. Will you join us, my lord?"

"No, Caradan. I have an engagement this evening but come to me tomorrow and we will tell my father the news and ask his agreement to go to Isengard. We will need men to help and, maybe, Gimli the Dwarf will join us."

Eldarion got up. "Come to the palace tomorrow morning at the 3rd hour. Until then, farewell. Take care of those scrolls, master Caradan. Don't drop them somewhere or spill your dinner all over them." He left Caradan and Corinth.

Caradan shut the remaining scrolls into the new box and returned it to the librarian for safekeeping. He left the library, not really noticing whether Corinth was with him and headed back through the city, back to the inn where they had left Ivi and Leyn. One or two people greeted him on his way. He returned the greeting and hurried on; he had no interest in stopping to gossip when his mind was absorbed by what he had read and what the prince had found. He entered the inn and glanced round, looking for them.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2007 01:33
Corinth followed Caradan, but wasn't as quick on his feet as the scholar. Afterall he didn't want to seem 'too' interested. So he stayed back a couple of feet as Caradan made his way to the Inn he had seen him at previously.

Prince Eldarion's similar interest in this prize worried the rogue. He hoped that Eldarion dwelt with matters outside of the military and the more darker matters of Minas Tirith, otherwise he might recognize him, or know of him.

He knew he best lay low, but also remain with Caradan, then he would be able to find the Elendilmir.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

"And what do you propose we do?" Leyn asked Ivi, breaking the silence. "Shall we wait for our bookish friend, retire for the night, or go looking? 'Tis up to you. It makes no difference to me."

"I believe with the sun making its bed, we should too. However, I'm sure you will realize the scholar will be returning any moment, now."

Her hobbit ears picked up the distant greetings to the one known as Caradan, an just as she predicted he soon entered, obviously looking for them. Corinth walking in behind him...
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2007 10:15
Caradan saw Ivi and Leyn still sitting at the table. They had obviously been getting better acquainted. He walked over to their table. "Greetings, ladies. We, that is, the lord Eldarion, Reyth and I, have found documents that speak of Isildur. Scrolls that have been lost for many years. Tomorrow, we will meet Lord Eldarion again. He wishes us to be there when he tells the tale to his father. He wants to go in search of the jewel. Will you come with us in the morning? When we have seen the king, Reyth and I will continue our search through the scrolls." He glanced at Corinth for agreement and was not sure he saw it in the other man's expression.

"Are you settled here for tonight? I'm going back to my room. I have more work to do tonight. There are details to prepare before we meet the king. I have other scrolls at home that may help our theory. Even though Eldarion supports the idea we still need more evidence to put before King Elessar."

Caradan turned as if to hurry out of the inn, then stopped and looked at the hourglass. "I have missed my supper again. Mistress Iorwen will be angry. I can't keep track of the hours and her excellent meals are spoiled or wasted. I must go home and eat. Perhaps I will come back later. Or, Reyth, can you tell Ivi and Leyn what we discovered and the plans for tomorrow? If I don't return tonight I will meet you here tomorrow, early."

He hurried out of the inn and back to his lodgings. As he had predicted, his supper was congealed and his landlady, Mistress Iorwen, unhappy.

"Master Caradan, I have asked you, please, to be on time for your meals. I hate to see good food wasted. After I have cooked the food, I have to see it sit on the table, going cold. Or, if I put it back on the stove to keep hot, I see it burn or dry up. My husband, rest his soul, was the same. You would think that guard duties would be fixed hours but no, he was always late. It's as if you think we have nothing else to do with our days than cook food to be spoiled. I taught my son to be on time for his meals and then he goes and marries a girl who doesn't understand how important it is for the meal to be on time. My poor boy gets home and has to wait, hungry. I should go there and cook for him. Then I'd know he was eating properly."

Caradan apologised profusely. He'd heard the tale many times before. Being late was his own fault; he could never keep track of time. He also knew that Iorwen's daughter-in-law cooked well and had the meals ready, whatever his landlady said.

When he had finished eating and thanked Iorwen he went to his own room and began sorting through the scrolls and papers, writing out what he had found from his earlier researches and combining it with the new information from the box in the library. After about two hours he remembered the other three and rushed out of the house, back towards the inn.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: May 04, 2007 11:18
Leyn watched Caradan leave the inn and was slightly surprised; she had been fully ready to answer him. Leyn glanced at Ivi and said in amusement, "Well, it seems as if our friend is indeed in a hurry. But perhaps we shall talk to him on the morrow. And if is all for tonight, I will bid you fair night, and I am off to retire."

Leyn stood up wearily and dragged herself upstairs to the room apportioned to her. It had a musty smell to it, but at least there was a window that overlooked the city. She was immensely curious as to what Caradan found, but Leyn was not willing to hear about it from 'Reyth.' She still doubted that was what his real name was; it was just a feeling she had.

Sleep was eluding the maid, however. As Leyn lay in bed, thoughts about her family raced across the expanses of her mind. She had hoped to reacquaint herself with her brother Adarin soon, but she had heard no word about him for many years.

Prince Eldarion. The name brought a prick of curiosity to her. She had never met someone of the noble family, but being the cautious person she was, Leyn knew that she would not reveal much of herself to the prince if she met him, who, something inside of her said, she would be meeting eventually.

"Elendimir," Leyn whispered to herself. Such a journey would that be. Rather a purpose for her travels than just wandering with no destination. The morning would be long in coming, Leyn thought, tossing restlessly on her side on the straw mattress. And so she passed the night without any sleep, waiting anxiously for the sun to brighten the day and the time when more information would be known.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2007 12:41
Corinth sat across from the hobbit who obviously did not seem to be enjoying his company. Ivi sat an stared straight at him, expressionless. Corinth tried to dodge her stare by turning his vision elsewhere, however he couldn't stand it much longer.

"Have you never seen a man this closely beofre?" he asked rather annoyed. Ivi remained silent, not changing her gaze. Corinth frowned at try to shift around once more to dodge it.

"Reyth, can you tell me the name of the inn we are enjoying this night?" she asked unexpectly with a smirk on her face.
Corinth frowned, shifting his tongue in his mouth.
"The sign is hanging just above the bar there." she said helping him out.
Corinth turned an looked to the sign. He studied it for awhile, maybe he could make a guess. Yet the letters looked scrambled an he had know idea of thier meaning. With a shrug he turned back to her with a cheesy grin on his face.
"Well, you got me." he said hoping to just shrug it off.

"If a man...,such as yourself, cannot read, pray tell, what were you doing with Caradan all this time?" she asked arching a single thin brow. He took a deep breath in and replied.
"Pretending." he answered honestly. Ivi let his words settle for a moment before answering.

"I assume you are a man on the run, who finds that this artifact, this treasure, the Elendilmir a prize worth winning, to get yourself out of trouble." she said nonchalantly. Corinth let out a laugh an nodded his head, waggin his finger at her lazily.

"You are good, do you do this for a living, are you some teller of souls?" he asked mockingly. Ivi slowly shook her head.

"Your eyes look too empty to be one who can read an remember knowledge of scrolls." Corinth frowned at her reply, catching the insult. He leaned his weight onto the table, getting closer to her, lowering his voice, his smile remaining.
"Its our little secret right?"

Ivi let out a low laugh and got up from the table. Corinth frowned.
"Hey, wait..."

She turned away from him an walked up towards the bar, standing on her tiptoes to seem more tall as she spoke with the man, requesting a room. Then she headed up the wooden stairs, trailing her long fingernails in the wood on purpose, walking to her room, an laying down on the bed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corinth sat alone where Ivi had left him, thinking an hoping the hobbit wouldn't say anything of his inability to read, in the morning. As he sat, with no drink in hand, the wooden door opened an two large man entered. Corinth quickly recognized them an got up from the table an making his way quickly up the stairs. The men caught sight of him an quickly followed. He sped up his pace an hurried into the first room he saw, thankfully it was opened an he shut the door behind him, the key was still in the hole so he turned it to lock it. The room was dark an quiet. He heard the voice of the owner, telling the two men to leave, for no trouble was to be caused in his inn.

He let out a sigh of relief, only to find a knife at his throat, a seemingly familliar tip. He couldn't help but smirk when he felt her breath on his neck. He let go of the door and raised his arms up slowly.

"Slow down, m'lady, I shall explain..."

((hope you don't mind Din))
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2007 12:14
Caradan arrived back at the inn and entered the room. He glanced around but could see no sign of Leyn, Ivi or Reyth. The landlord seemed to be having some discussion with two rough looking men. As Caradan watched, a group of men he recognised as off-duty men-at-arms in the guard rose to their feet and walked towards where the landlord stood. The two men glanced round and decided not to cause trouble.

The inn was getting ready to close for the night. Caradan realised that he was not going to see his new companions. He did not wish to disturb them and he had no intention of asking the landlord for directions to their rooms. He returned to his home.

Back in his room Caradan opened up his bag and continued to study the scrolls. He had written several sheets of notes and sketches before he realised that his eyes were closing. He continued to study the notes until he dropped his pen. This woke him up and he decided to leave his work until the morning. He left the scrolls and sheets, made sure the inks were closed up, climbed into his bed and blew out the lamp. He fell into a sound and dreamless sleep until woken by Mistress Iorwen, bringing hot water for him to wash.

Caradan got up, washed, dressed and breakfasted. He packed up his scrolls and left the house, heading back through the town towards the inn. He needed to meet Ivi, Leyn and Reyth and be at the palace by the third hour for the meeting with Eldarion and his father.

Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: May 25, 2007 11:40
(Like this idea!)

Leyn heard the sound of footsteps downstairs, then footsteps hurrying up the stairs, and the next thing she knew, a man entered through the wooden door, shutting it silently, enclosing them in almost utter darkness (for the sun was beginning to rise) but for the candle that was throwing off a feeble light in its sconce. She had been sitting at her desk, but as the man came in, she grabbed the dagger at her side and confronted him. It was then Leyn recognized Reyth.

She refused to lower the steel blade tip. When she addressed him, her voice was low and even. "You shall explain, my friend. You are too shady to be unguarded right now. Might I ask what you were running from? For in my experience, any man that runs into a tavern room, the first one he sees, I might add, does not seem to be the honest type."

Leyn studied Reyth's face intently. She had a feeling he had a good heart at one time, but only darkness pervaded in him now. There was no way the maiden was going to let down her guard for anything. For all she knew, he could have a hidden weapon.

The sun was beginning to shine through the open window when Leyn heard a knock at the door. Maneuvering her way around Reyth with her blade still at his throat, she asked, "Who is it?"

(I thought that this could be Caradan, but I suppose any character could work.)
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 12:54
Caradan entered the inn. The maids were busy cleaning the floors and tables. Several people sat eating breakfast; the scent of bacon mingling with the smell of stale ale. He glanced around the room and saw Ivi sitting at a table by herself; a few remaining crumbs from her breakfast scattered on the plate. He walked over to her, "Good morning, Ivi. I'm glad to see you up in good time for our meeting with the king. Have you seen Leyn and Reyth this morning? I do hope they won't be late. I spent more time working on the scrolls last night. I'm sure we have a lead to where the jewel may be hidden and who knows what other writings may be hidden in Isengard. There may be writings from Isildur himself; tales of the fall of Numenor; tales of the founding of this city. What a find that could be." His eyes seemed to glaze over in anticipation. Ivi looked at him, wondering if he would return to the real world and stop thinking about his scrolls.
"Reyth seemed really interested in the writings as well," Caradan continued. "I'm surprised he isn't ready to leave. We don't have long."

Ivi wondered whether to tell Caradan about "Reyth".

The scholar walked over to the bar, "Is there any sign of our companions, Leyn or Reyth?" he asked. The landlord replied that the woman, Leyn, had taken a room but had not been seen that morning. As to Reyth, he knew nothing of where he had spent the night; he had not taken a room in the tavern.

This puzzled Ivi and Caradan. Caradan asked which room Leyn was in and he and Ivi walked up the stairs and knocked on Leyn's door.

"Who is it" came the answer.
"Caradan and Ivi, mistress. We were waiting for you downstairs. It is time to go and nobody knows where Reyth is." he replied.
Leyn opened the door very carefully. "Come in but take care. I know where Reyth is" Caradan noticed the knife held to Reyth's throat, "What is happening? Leyn, Reyth, please explain what is happening?"
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2007 12:14
Before Corinth had time to properly weasel his way out of the current situation, a knock sounded at the door, presenting their friends Caradan and Ivi.

"What is happening? Leyn, Reyth, please explain what is happening." Caradan seemed a bit fluster at the sight of the blade pointed at the man's neck, Ivi only stood just inside the door way with an arched eyebrow, obviously not in the least surprised.

"It seems, our 'friend' Reyth, has stumbled into the wrong room..." Ivi smirked. Corinth managed a smile at the hobbit, but realized she wasn't on his side just yet.

"That is it, I had a late night in the bar and once purchased my room, I entered the wrong one." He tried to wiggle out of Leyn's grasp but she only twisted her grip tighter, making him wince.

"Come on, Leyn, it was a small mistake." He looked to Caradan for a little help, however the scholar didn't seem to be taking his story.

"But the--" Caradan was about to prove Corinth's story wrong by mentioning that the owner downstairs, had said Corinth never bought a room, yet Ivi pulled his sleeve and jerked hard, pushing herself in front of him.

"Put the blade down, Leyn, there is a King of Men waiting upon all of us, and I do not doubt he will wait much longer... Come, all of." she said taking charge momentarily, yet promptly allowing Caradan to lead the way.

Leyn slowly lowered her blade with a glare of her eyes. Corinth was glad to be out of grasp and rubbed his neck where the knife had grazed, that was two cuts from her. He had nothing more to say and simply motioned her to walk in front of him, yet she stood firm, wanting him to go ahead of her. With a shrug, he followed behind Ivi, as Caradan led them to the meeting.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 13, 2007 10:05
Leyn reluctantly let Reyth ahead of her, not trusting him to stay behind. She sheathed her dagger and was the last one out of her room. Locking it quickly, she followed the others down the worn stairs and outside the inn. The innkeeper looked at her oddly as she crossed the threshold of the door.

"I beg pardon if I caused a commotion," Leyn said to the innkeeper, an apology in her voice. She had nothing more to say to the others, and her stony demeanor took over her facade. There was no emotion on her face and only a slight curiosity burning in her eyes.

As she walked, Leyn pondered about how the king of Gondor would appear. She had heard stories about Eldarion, many exaggerated ones to be sure, but most truthful ones seemed to tell of a young man with a good head on his shoulders. He seemed to be grave and serious, but kind to most. Leyn hadn't heard many complaints about the king, but she would make her own judgment when she met him later that morning.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2007 07:57
Caradan found the whole situation very confusing. He was not sure what to make of his companions. There was clearly something suspicious about Reyth and he found Leyn rather intimidating. He hoped there would be no problems during the meeting with Eldarion and his father.

He led the way through the streets. Ivi had to trot to keep up with Caradan's long strides. As they walked along the scholar outlined the discoveries he had made the previous day, together with some of his earlier work.

At last they reached the citadel where they were challenged by the guards. Caradan explained who they were and what their business was. "The lord Eldarion is expecting us," he told the guard. "He has arranged a meeting for us with the king." The guard consulted a list before admitting them to the citadel. They walked across the courtyard, passing several more guards, before they were ushered into a room. Eldarion was waiting for them.

"Ah, Master Caradan, welcome and you too Master Reyth and you ladies. My father awaits us." Caradan presented Leyn and Ivi to the prince.

They followed Caradan through a door and into another room where King Elessar sat at a table. Caradan, Leyn, Ivi and Corinth bowed to the king as Eldarion presented each one. Elessar invited them to sit at the table. “My son tells me you have made some discovery about the Elendilmir. You believe it is hidden in Orthanc. Many years ago I searched Saruman’s stronghold. Many treasures were found, some hidden deep in that place. Remember the Ents flooded the deepest chambers and washed out everything. It was needful but I know the loremasters have often bewailed the damage done to documents. Gimli son of Gloin searched the place, using skills known only to Durin’s folk and he found no sign of secret chambers and no sign of the Elendimir. I believe it was lost at the Gladden Fields. It fell into Anduin and washed down to the sea. Tell me, why you believe it to be in Orthanc.”

Caradan opened his satchel and spread his scrolls on the table. “Sire, I have studied accounts of the battle at the Gladden Fields. Isildur left the battle wearing the Ring, urged to escape by his son, Elendur. He had with him some of his greatest treasures, including the Elendilmir. Some tales say he wore it in the battle and caused great terror amongst the orcs; they saw this mighty man with a bright star upon his brow. Other tales say he carried it in a pouch. He did not entrust it to any other. There are no tales of any of Isildur’s sons or followers having charge of the Elendilmir at any stage of their journey north. Ohtar brought the Shards of Narsil to Imladris but his report was that the Elendilmir remained with Isildur”
“Isildur was slain, as we know and his body was never found. Now, bodies that fall into a river are usually washed up somewhere downstream. No tale tells of the discovery of Isildur’s body; nor any trace of his clothing, though his armour was found by the river, upstream from the battle. Even if orcs had destroyed the body there would have been reports of his gear.”
“Then, yesterday, we came upon this scroll from Isengard. There is a report of a store of great treasure that none but Saruman could access. There are plans of some of the tower rooms. The rooms and the dimensions of the tower do not tally. Either the map is wrong or there is a room there that is not on the plan.”
“Sire, the Lord Eldarion wanted us to bring this information to you. Here, you may see for yourself.”

Elessar looked at the plans and then turned to the others sitting round the table, “And you, my friends and my son, what say you?”

[Edited on 30/6/2007 by Hainima]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: July 17, 2007 05:03
Leyn listened intently to the exchange and decided to voice her opinion. "If I may so bold as to speak, sire, I do not think it an unworthy expenditure of time if one were to search for the Elendimir. Surely if it something that had been in your family for generations, shouldn't it still be worth your while to seek? Of course legends and theories abound, but if the truth can be discovered, then why hinder it?

"I might not be the most informed about the secrets of everything in your archives, my lord, but I know enough about the Elendimir, even before I met Caradan"-she inclined her head towards him-"to realize the significance of it. When it comes down to it, the Elendimir is a family heirloom to you, and there is no reason to not seek it. Then, once it is found, or if it is found, I should say, then it can be passed down." Leyn halted her speech, hesitant if she should continue. But there was no going back now. "But I suppose this is not for me to speak of. This is a matter personal to you, my lord, and I would not be the one to be intrude upon such matters."

Leyn fell silent and glanced around the room, knowing that if she had continued, she would have trodden upon such thin ice that would have been better to have been avoided.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2007 07:21
Ivi listened as Leyn spoke up. It surprised her that the maiden felt compelled to add her insight, however she was glad. When she finished the King looked to her and she arched her eyebrow towards him.

"Sire, it is your jewel...from what I understand it is precious to your family line. Leyn is right, you should not pass up a chance to at least seek it..."

"Then you can say you at least tried." interrupted Corinth, even though he was making a point to look in the opposite direction as the King. He didn't want wandering eyes to recognize him. He wasn't sure how renown his looks where around here. Ivi frowned and turned to him, the bangles in her hair jingling at the sharp movement. Corinth peeked an eye in her direction an returned the frown, however his more out of spite.

"My lord, allow me to lead a small number of good men to search for the Elendilmir. Seek it out." Eldarion added, ignoring the exchange of looks at the table. The King looked back down at the scrolls that had been handed to him and seemed to dwell on the matter further.

"Caradan must go if you are to continue finding secrets out of these scrolls of Isengard. There is too much of a puzzle here for you and a few good men to solve on your own..." Eldarion's face widened to a grin when he realized the answer given.

"Would you be willing, Caradan?" Eldarion asked, almost eagerly.

"The roads remain unsafe, despite our victory in the past age. You will need one who is quick on their feet to stand as a good scout." The King continued...looking towards Leyn. She nodded, knowing he was requesting her prescence on this journey.

"You will need someone small, who can heal the traveler physically and mentally, for this quest you will prove taxing." Aragorn glanced to Iviera, who nodded back to him. The King looked back to his son with a smile.

"Your few good men, stand before you, my son. Now ready for your journey a proper ceremony will be planned for your departure with a feast in honor of this quest." Eldarion stood and walked towards his father and they both clasped hands with smiles. Corinth turned and knew he better say something if he was to be included in this journey...

"All well-said when will our departure take place then?" he asked including himself in the quest. Leyn shot him a glare, but he ignored looking to Caradan mainly.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 04:34
Leyn could not keep the disdain out of her voice as she replied to Reyth quietly, "Our departure? The likes of you surely would not be welcome on such a journey, for you appear to be nothing but a vagabond and a thief."

Rising from the table, Leyn approached Aragorn and bowed her head. "I would seek leave from you, my liege, for the preparations for the journey will be much. I anticipate we would be able to leave at the soonest, two days, given the amount of what needs to be done, but longer if you see fit." She fought the urge to glare pointedly at Reyth, but her face remained emotionless but for the anticipation of the journey.

After Aragorn gave his leave, Leyn left the dwelling and stood over the threshold. Leaning against the doorjamb, she breathed heavily and let her gaze slide across the view of the city that lay before her.

This is no place for me, she thought, wishing for the open road. Cities with their houses of stone, wood, and brick mean nothing to me, not after their demise ('their' being that of her parents).

"But that is never going to change," she muttered to herself.

Leyn stiffened as she felt the unnerving sensation of being watched. She stifled the urge to place her hand on her sword, choosing instead to use her voice.

"Who goes there?" she asked cautiously, keeping her eyes to the front.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2007 12:37
Gimli the dwarf watched the maid as she stood, leaning against the doorjamb. He heard her mutter something to herself. She seemed uncomfortable in her surroundings. He stood quietly, watching her. He knew that she was one of those Eldarion had asked to help him persuade the king to send a party in search of the Elendilmir. Gimli remembered the tower of Orthanc and its dungeons and pits. He had been there when Elessar searched it at the beginning of his reign, when they uncovered many treasures but no sign of the jewel.
He considered whether it was possible they had missed some strongroom. Perhaps it was. Eldarion said the scholar, Caradan, had found some accounts suggesting a discrepancy in the sizes of known rooms. "Well," he thought to himself, "if there's any digging or mining to be done then I'm the one to do it. I'll petition the king to let me join his son. From what I hear of Caradan they'll need somebody with a steady head to keep him and the prince under control."

"Who goes there?" the maid asked cautiously, keeping her eyes to the front.
"Gimli son of Gloin mistress, at your service and your family's," he replied.
The maid looked upset by his words but before she could reply the door opened and Eldarion came out, accompanied by Caradan, a hobbit-maid and a man. Gimli looked at the man and decided that he was not to be trusted, something about him made Gimli wish for his axe.

Caradan was talking excitedly. "I'll return to my room and the library and collect the scrolls we need. I'll need more parchment as well and my ink is running low. If I visit the stationer's shop on my way home, collect my papers, arrange with Mistress Iorwen about my room and then go to the library, I can be back here in two hours and we can start planning. Will we need horses? There is a stable in the town, maybe Reyth and I can hire some from there. You don't have your own horse do you, Reyth? Ivi and Leyn have their own horses. Well, Ivi's is a pony. We'll need to take the bag of scrolls that we found in the chest. Maybe we should find another box to put the scrolls in. They may get damaged in a bag. I'll see if I can find a box or a chest. I wonder if we'll find more accounts in Isengard. I'd like to bring something back for the library if there's anything still there. Perhaps there will be something from when the Istari first came to Middle Earth."

Eldarion and the others waited for him to draw breath.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email