Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Middle Earth, Is It Real?
on: November 21, 2012 10:33
Well, that seems to be the best think of Myths and Legends, Legolas23. If I am correct people of different places most likely believe that the myths and legends of their home country are true, or at the very least based off a small piece of truth.

Personally I believe that Middle Earth did exist at some point, and that everything that was written about it did happen or was based off a small seed of truth that made it from then to the point where Tolkien sat down and wrote Middle Earth.

Or I could be a huge nerd that decided that Middle Earth did exist. ^.^
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Middle Earth, Is It Real?
on: November 22, 2012 08:25
Well, i think that we can believe it is real and it's O.K, even if others think we are nerds. Nerds rule! There's no harm in thinking it, i don't think.
Silmariel-Feanors-Child
Council Member
Send Message
I am also convinced that Middle Earth is real, when you think of all civilizations and their mythologies. And there are also some similarities with other legends definitely not exactly fit into the mainstream Archiologie , like Atlantis or Hyerborea . to find the name Tolkien as Numenor and Beleriand . I am convinced that only changed the names of the places. and , perhaps not all actions are based on real flat , but definitely by the people . Elves are nature spirits that we do not see in our world today , because we have forgotten this and the Ents are also nature spirits , better known as Dryads live in trees known in other mythologies. I know myself in terms of mythology and their backgrounds very well , because I found the mythology and beliefs of the ancient peoples for 22 years, self-taught and what they wanted to say , so I also partly behind the story of Tolkien might look the knowing Mythology of ancient peoples was to be taken as a model , and epic, being created by the new name and an adaptation of the events of his history in the old stories.
to give an example : Numenor Numenor = Atalante = Atlantis.

a part of Atlantis was on Santorini , the culture, the Minoans were highly advanced and civilized as the people of Numenor as they operated commercially . Plato , the history of Egypt. Atlantis was destroyed druch a volcano made ​​of shatter just as Numenor Sanironi is comparable to the mountain Meneltarma . so are legends and myths from facts Archiologischen in the course of time as each generation experienced the story embellishes slightly more. But Middle-earth is always what we make of it . in the first line it exestiert in our hearts. in line 2 hidden in our past and in our myths and legends names only among others. but Ea exists whether you doubt it or not. EA is our mother earth and it gildet to preserve . Tolkien's works give us a chance because zudenken our Mother Earth bewahen . because each of us is a part of the Elves , Dwarves, Humans , Ainur , hobbits ... in Him , it is our properties also make us what we are. We are of Middle-earth , and what we make of Mother Ea in the coming ages is crucial for the future in which we want to live.
Light and Darkness belongs together . neither can exist without the other ! The first step will lead you mostly to the correct location but a wrong step will be your ruin quickly. ImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I do think that Middle Earth was real, to some extent, though I don;t think that we may know it as that name. Coming from a religious standpoint, I do beleive that Tolkien wrote LOTR and all of the histories that surround it as a religious allegory. Perhaps he meant Middle Earth to begin as, as we know it, The Garden of Eden, and then wanted it to end from the biblical standpoints within the Book of Revelation. Many authors of the time did so, such as C.S. Lewis, though in Lewis' Narnia it is much more prevelent.

I enjoyed reading everyones takes on this, and perhaps I shall write a paper on this for school. I'll be that one person who writes about LOTR for their senior theisis. Is that even allowed? Ha, I guess that Im going to be the one to find out, in a few years. My parents will kill me for that one.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
I'd think twice about that Maxie.
But I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse ‘applicability’ with ‘allegory’; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author. - J.R.R.Tolkien, foreword to The Lord Of The Rings

Tolkien wrote LOTR as an entertaining story, and as part of a mythology for England. He states in a letter (I can't find it just now) that he felt no obligation to defend or define Christian theology, although his own beliefs and understandings informed that which he wrote. In other words there is no specifically Christian philosophy embedded in the story. A bit of a minefield in that respect, so beware.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I have a belief that any words spoken or tales written always existed, just waiting for someone to realise it, even subconsciously, so that we can know them... so I think that maybe Middle-Earth is how our world is supposed to be, without all of the battles and all that. And that world was written so that we could know how things were meant to be, even if that was not Tolkien's intention...
But that's just based on a theory of mine...
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
So you mean our imaginations are tapping in to the first crystallisation of cosmic energy?... and I could be mean and blow your theory out of the water by saying 'The Hunger Games'. Or '1984' But I won't. Who decides which story is how it should be or how it shouldn't? Or are they all dredged from the manifold of possible universes? Or by imagining them, do we bring them into existence? I'm going for a lie down in a darkened room now.
Anyway I think Tolkien was laying down a history to the way things are now, where magic is fading from the world and the race of Men has dominance. i.e. war, inequality, oppression, fridge magnets...
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Yes that's what I mean, though naturally you put it much better than me... But maybe 'The Hunger Games' was created, if unintentionally, as a lesson. A lesson about fighting back, or control, or seeing things from someone else's point of view...
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with Wolfie on that one- maybe how we could turn out, or as a warning to humans about control.

We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
parluggla
Council Member
Send Message
ME is real for me, but I can't explain how, and I'm afraid if I tried, I'd just start sounding foolish.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I'm sure you would never sound foolish. Explain if you want, but also remember that some things don't need to be said or to make sense to be understood.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
I personally do not believe in Middle Earth. I think it sounds wonderful and all, but I do not believe that it exists.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I also remember that Tolkien wrote somewhere (to be found in HoME, most likely) that we are currently in about the Seventh Age. That is started in 1945? Don’t remember that, but it would be fitting.
That raises the question in my mind, what has come down to us from the beginning of the Fourth Age? Here I take a very dark view of things. Looking around at what a lot of people do, we must have absorbed the Orcs into the Human Race, because too many real-life people exhibit behavior that almost forces me to think of Orcs. And, however it was done, Saruman must have left descendants, it would explain most of what has happened, in a negative sense, in the realms of politics and commerce in the five thousand years of recorded history. Elves, Hobbits, even Dwarves? Much to little is left of them.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email