Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: What happens when you read Tolkien?
on: January 07, 2013 08:27
Wow! they should make three movies out of it. well, let's say they did. how long would each one be do u think?
I feel some sort of yearnings...
7% (3)
I feel great yearnings!
88% (3)
Tolkien is just good entertainment ... no need to take it any further...
5% (2)
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2013 03:52
If there were 3 movies made out of The Silmarillion, each one would have to be at least 3 hours long. There is so much information in The Silmarillion that I do not even think 3 movies would be enough. This is one of my favourite books and it takes me straight into Middle-earth at the beginning.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2013 06:43
So, they would be about the same length of LOTR and the Hobbit?
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2013 07:35
I think they should make a movie out of The Children of Hurin...that would make for a fantastic movie. It has a great storyline that would fit well in Hollywood. The scene where the hero Hurin slays Glaurung with his mighty sword Gurthang...priceless cinema gold right there!

But back to the original question of this thread: When I read Tolkien, I get a sense of euphoric nostalgia...as if his story is a lost, fond memory of mine being retold. It sounds somewhat silly but I feel like I once lived in Middle-earth, and observed the actions of Frodo and the Fellowship as they unfolded.
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2013 10:05
I feel happy but also a sense of madness ( mahahaha) that I am not in middle earth
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 03:19
me too! we should go together! lol
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 01:57
I haven't posted here yet.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 02:20
really!?
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 03:17
No
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 09:32
Lyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 02:05
It adds a sparkle that was once bereft. ♥
True joy, is found at the Master’s feet.
Lyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 02:11
Quote from Lindarielwen on January 2, 2013, 06:48
I love the Silmarillion but this is the third time I am reading it. It is sort of like the Bible in a way. We learn about the Creation and all the people. We can compare the Ainur to the Angels and then Sauron is Satan. I think that is correct. If not, someone refresh my memory.

I agree, completely! But I think it is Melkor that is like Satan. I think?

Great point, though! I am glad others see the likeness, as well.

Blessings!
True joy, is found at the Master’s feet.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 04:33
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
When I read Lord of the Rings, I get drawn in and am living it. Not so much the Silmarillion as it reads more like a historical archive than a story. Children of Hurin reads rather well and draws me in where the Turin chapter in the Silmarillion only sort of did. I just have to remember to jump over and not trip on some of the rough editing joints. Another tale that draws me in t=is Aldaron and Erendis in Unfinished Tales. Love reading these.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
My first read of LoTR (and JRRT) was a German translation in 1983. I'd heard about LoTR at least ten years earlier. My first read of the original, which held me spell-bound, was early 1985. Then I got on the slippery slope of JRRT fascination in 1986 with, at a single haul, The Sil, Hobbit, Unfinished Tales and Lost Tales vols. 1 and 2. Since then, I have become a prowler of bookstores for anything new by and about JRRT.

I do vaguely remember a bit of confusion back then, I think especially about the Rangers of the North including Aragorn. In retrospect, this may have been because I felt overwhelmed by the amount of information JRRT was throwing at me, and even mores so by the allusions which were just all over the place.

I Just finished my umpteenth reading (guess 15+) of LoTR this summer, and now it feels like a meeting with dear old friends. Maybe that's part of the reason why I react quite sharply to some of PJ's mishandling of characters and situations in the double trilogy of his movies. A gut-level "how dare you treat my friends like that, you ignorant oaf!" But any other possible team trying their hand at it would probably have been much worse.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email