Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Hercynian
Council Member
Send Message
Post What happens when you read Tolkien?
on: September 07, 2010 05:27
What happens when you read Tolkien? Do you feel moved? Do you feel somehow "spoken to?" Do you feel yearnings? Or are Tolkien's books just good entertainment, sort of like a flavorful chewing gum for a brain needing a break after a long, hard day at the office/school?
I feel some sort of yearnings...
7% (3)
I feel great yearnings!
88% (3)
Tolkien is just good entertainment ... no need to take it any further...
5% (2)
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What happens when you read Tolkien?
on: September 07, 2010 03:07
I feel complete.
Meldë_Náriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2011 12:43
i didn't vote but i will tell u that when i read the books it was written in a way that made me want to go to middle earth and help them.
Gladhaniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2011 10:15
I feel complete.

Something among those lines! It really makes me feel like I'm home, too.
Talkeen43
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2011 06:05
I feel taken back to an ancient time.
So far removed from today that archeologists could never dig up any ruins.

To imagine a world without electricity and gunpowder is hard to do in our modern society, but Prof. Tolkien's works sure take us there.
Galadeth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2011 05:33
No matter how many times I've read the books. Every time I open something about Tolkien and his Middle Earth I feel like I don't belong to this planet earth at all!
I feel like I actually am in Middle Earth, riding and fighting and talking with the Elves, instead, for example, of sitting on a cosy sofa sorrounded by home appliances.
phelia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2011 11:21
every time i read the silmarillion (SP?) i fall in love with maedhros!
Lady_Sanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2011 02:41
I feel as if I am plunged into another world, one so much interesting than this one. But then I stop reading, and I feel a aching yearning to jump back into the books again, just to live in Middle Earth for a little while.
Syaoran
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2011 05:08
I'd suppose I feel great accomplishment or enlightenment. Sometimes though I get so engrossed into the books that I either get lost and forget my place, or will continue on my own quest in the books
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2011 04:24
I am simultaneously elated and humbled. I feel that life can be greater than it currently is, that WE can be greater than we currently are. That good ol' Hobbit-sense reminds me that one can live a simple live and still be happy, and that it doesn't take a lot of effort on our part to make someone else's life a little less crappy than it was.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2011 02:13
Every time I read Tolkien, I'm just sucked into Middle Earth and I feel like I'm there. Whenever I'm done, I feel like I just want to go.
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: November 26, 2011 07:25
I feel like the way he writes just draws me in and makes me feel like it is real. Then I want to go there, and I agree with star. It makes me feel more 'whole' or something. Not sure how to say it, but there it is.
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2011 03:06
One of Tolkien's greatest achievements in his writing, is that you feel you ARE in Middle-earth. If you go down to the tiniest detail, you will most likely find something else related to it. Whenever I read Tolkien I feel as though I'm in Middle-earth, watching the Rohirrim charge the Orcs upon the Fields of the Pelennor. Whenever I read Tolkien, whatever the scene, I almost always get goosebumps and shiver.

Tolkien's writing also give me a world to escape into. No matter how terrible my day was, no matter how much I'm troubled by other things, I always know that when I get home, there is a nicely stacked pile of books that's my gateway into a different, even better, magical world. It just makes me feel like I have a place of belonging, and because his writings are so popular, I can share my feelings with other Tolkien fans, and I can share that understanding with them. That's just how it makes me feel anyway.
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2011 11:31
I feel like I'm being drawn into a word which is strange and yet familiar. Middle-Earth is otherworldly and fantastic, but the characters are surprisingly human, something you can easily relate to.

Read a few sentences from the book, it's not easy to stop right there.

[Edited on 12/12/2011 by Elainiwen]
Hercynian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2011 07:14
Right now I'm listening to the Shore soundtrack's "Anduril" (music as Aragorn receives the repaired sword from Elrond) and the "Lothlorien". Fabulous. . . . .

Anyway, we went out to find our Christmas tree today. We always take a spruce that has blown down recently but is not dead and dried out yet. Our likely candidates that we'd scouted were not, at closer inspection, keepers for various reasons. It was getting dark. For no logical reason, we raced across the county, went up a road, and stopped at a hiking trail we knew. We started east on the trail -- and there just a few yards in was a perfect blow-down spruce! It was a big, old one and its top was perfect. With darkness closing in, I cut off the top 7 feet and we hauled it back out to the car.

But during all this I experienced once again that strange feeling I sometimes feel when I go into the forests: Whatever silly thoughts that have been accumulating in my poor head -- well, it's like the forest sweeps it all away and places a "Hark! Here be Elves!" feeling in me. And to say the least, my "here be Elves" feeling is the truest thing I've ever felt. I can thank Tolkien for it. Sure, it's still vague. Sure, I have little idea what I'm supposed to do about it. But again, it's because of Tolkien that I can identify it.

Now I'm listening to the Tolkien Ensemble's "Galadriel's Song of Eldamar, I Sang of Leaves." Find it here http://youtu.be/s9Erdh3XFJ8.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 14, 2011 07:04
I feel happy when I read Tolkien. I get engrossed in this other world. Then sad when it ends.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2011 01:32
Hercynian : Whatever silly thoughts that have been accumulating in my poor head -- well, it's like the forest sweeps it all away and places a "Hark! Here be Elves!" feeling in me. And to say the least, my "here be Elves" feeling is the truest thing I've ever felt. I can thank Tolkien for it.

It wonderful that there are people like you who can wipe out the minutiae of everyday life from your thoughts and tune in to the divine! Speaking for myself, I cannot do that. Nothing does it for me anymore! And I'm sure I'm not alone in this!

[Edited on 19/12/2011 by pv]
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Rana_Baggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2011 06:05
Well, when you read Tolkien's books, you get addicted. Then, you lose your friends and your family takes you to an asylum, thinking you've gone bonkers.
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2011 07:07
I feel a yearning for the sin and wrong in this world to end like it did in Middle Earth.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: What happens when you read Tolkien?
on: November 22, 2012 08:29
I feel like i am part of the story. It is so real and filling, i think. There is so much info. and detail in it, it seems like i am reading history. But, it is exciting and entertaining.I aslo feel a yearning to be there! I want to be a dweller of Middle-Earth! I agree with Rana_Baggins. You get addicted it to it! But it is a good thing. There's nothing wrong with really liking it, as long as it's not your idle. God, Church, Family and the Lord of the Rings
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2012 11:21
I begin to think and feel like I am in Middle Earth. And when someone pulls me out of that world I get cranky, even though my mind is still there in Tolkiens world. To put simply it makes me wish that there was a portal or a way to get to Middle Earth and live there for the rest of my life.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2012 02:09
I also wish there was a portal!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2012 09:09
I agree. When I read Tolkien, I am completely swept away to Middle-Earth and I do not wish to return. I am happy there. I want to stay there. I am there even when I am not reading. There is no other place I wish to be.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Tom Bombadill
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2012 10:03
When I read the LOTR, I feel like I am swept into a dream world, a perfect world like I have always imagined it. Tolkiens writing is so detailed that you can almost smell the flowers in Lothlorien and feel the pain of the King Theoden as he sees what happens to his people. Tolkien pulls you into his world with such force, that it is hard to stop. When I read the LOTR, I never want to stop, and wish that Earth was like Tolkiens Ea, and that I might be a Hobbit. Tolkien also adds so much history to his world, to the extent of a complete history of his world, or even a history of our world, or a long lost story waiting to be retold. There is no other place I would ever want to be in more. There has always been a yearning in my heart ever since that fateful day when I first picked a dusty copy of the Hobbit and LOTR from the shelf and started reading, and since then, I have never been able to put it down again.

LOTR!!!!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 08:24
I think it is so cool that someone could write something like that and most if not all the readers are just swept away into this world! It is so life like and detailed! Don't you think?
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2012 05:34
I actually fall a sleep yawn very boring (joke)

I am actually very happy when i read his books just sit in a chair and enter Middle Earth if that makes scence and imagine that i am there, and the good thing about the book is that your own imagination takes over each person has their own verson of what each character looks like, those who saw the movies first might see the actors in there books but i read the books first, so the Aragorn (for example) i first saw in my mind was a little different to the one in the film if you follow me. Same with the scenery.

Although the storyline is the same to everyone their imagination is different that why i think i like Tolkien"s books
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2012 08:22
I saw the movies before i really read the books, so i didn't ever have my own version of a character.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2013 12:05
I, also, saw the movies first before I read the books so my mind has the characters in the book looking like those in the movies. But I get totally swept away reading the books. I am starting to read The Silmarillion and those characters will be left to my imagination. Tolkien has inspired us to think and to dream.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2013 08:22
is the Simarilian good? i hope they make a movie! but it probably won't because it is so long.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2013 08:48
I love the Silmarillion but this is the third time I am reading it. It is sort of like the Bible in a way. We learn about the Creation and all the people. We can compare the Ainur to the Angels and then Sauron is Satan. I think that is correct. If not, someone refresh my memory.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2013 06:14
i have heard that from many people.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: January 06, 2013 05:35
Quote from Legolas23 on January 2, 2013, 06:22
is the Simarilian good? i hope they make a movie! but it probably won't because it is so long.

It's very good ~ A challenging, worthwhile read, Legolas23. Length may be one factor in not making the movie, but much more to the point, Christopher Tolkien isn't going to sell the rights.

Oh yes...what happens when I read Tolkien? I feel like I've come home.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2013 06:49
I would think that if they tried to turn the Simillarion into a movie, it would have to be in probably three parts, if not more. Simply due to the fact that the books have so much more depth than the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, not to mention it at least describes/informs the reader that there is more than one version of each tale.

I think IF (that's a big if) the Simillarion is turned into a movie it will probably be after Christopher Tolkien dies, since I've heard that the younger generation of Tolkiens are more willing to see the movie view of the books. Kinda depends though.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2013 09:49
agreed
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2013 03:15
I would think that each chapter of The Silmarillion could be made into a movie. I love The Silmarillion. I have just started reading it for the third time.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email