Council Member
Send Message
<bleep>

[Edited on 01/17/2014 by Gandolorin]
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
You guys have good taste in movies. *.*

Another good one is Never Let Me Go [it's very dramatic, but I thought it was a really good story] and The Great Gatsby.
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
@LadyElarinya

The Alien Quadrilogy.

Getting any better?
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
The Alien Quadrilogy is a CLASSIC! Hehehe.

But seriously, about 95% of the movies recommended I've watched [I love movies] and they're really good. You guys have awesome taste.

Another good one to the list is The Green Mile. Don't remember if it was recommended already.
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
A Tom Hanks fan, I see.

If you don't mind reading subtitles check out another Wim Wenders film, Wings of Desire. It's about angels.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Tom Hanks, of course:

Forrest Gump, with an utterly amazing performance by Hanks.
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:A Tom Hanks fan, I see.

If you don't mind reading subtitles check out another Wim Wenders film, Wings of Desire. It's about angels.

I read the a description of the film and it was quite similar to City of Angels which I also recommend. Very nice movie.

And yes. Hanks fan . Though Johnny Depp and Meryl Stripp are my favorite actors. ^^
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Hmmmmm... I'm going to make a list...
-Inception
-ANY Disney movie
-Pirates of the Carribean
-Narnia
-LOTR (OFCOURSE)
-Karate Kid
-The Matrix
-Evan Almighty
-Left Behind
-Hunger Games
-The Hobbit
-Letters to God
-Bridge to Terabithia

[Edited on 01/21/2014 by EthelynnGreenleaf]
"A sprinter learning to wait."
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
One movie where Tom Cruise really shone:

Born on the Fourth of July.

Got it on DVD.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Another good one is Amistad, the one about the slave ship.
So is Glory, Braveheart, and the Patriot... war movies can be pretty awesome.
Pirates of the Caribbean is awesome, pretty much anything with Johnny Depp is
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
The Color of Magic, based on Terry Pratchett's book of the same name and another one. Sean Astin (Sam) as the tourist Twoflower on Discworld, a very Bilboish character.
And at the end, they did an exact copy, thought mirrored, of the scene when Frodo boards the elven ship at the Grey Havens.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, with Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent, a very Bilboish character in space and also in the way he ended up on his adventure (though not really a quest - ah - at least not in Douglas Adams's books).

Two more occasions for exclaiming "what is {LotR character} doing here?"

[Edited on 01/22/2014 by Gandolorin]
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:The Color of Magic, based on Terry Pratchett's book of the same name and another one. Sean Astin (Sam) as the tourist Twoflower on Discworld, a very Bilboish character.
And at the end, they did an exact copy, thought mirrored, of the scene when Frodo boards the elven ship at the Grey Havens.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, with Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent, a very Bilboish character in space and also in the way he ended up on his adventure (though not really a quest - ah - at least not in Douglas Adams's books).

Two more occasions for exclaiming "what is {LotR character} doing here?"

[Edited on 01/22/2014 by Gandolorin]

I didn't know there was a movie about discworld. I have to see that one. And Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of my favorites. Relly enjoyed it. And I never noticed, but Arthur does seem very bilboish doesn't he? hehe.

Ok, another one for the list is Gravity. Wonderful movie, if only for the amazing visual effects. I'm sorry PJ, but my oscar goes to Gravity on that one.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
The Color of Magic may not have been a theater movie. There are two parts on one DVD, total running time three hours. Could have been a TV Movie.
It came out 2005, after LotR, and I'm sure they chose Sean Astin on purpose. Pratchett himself in his books also did takes on Tolkien, so this just moves them closer.

As to H2G2, my first aha-effect came when I got a short Glimpse of "Sherlock" (my wife loves it) and thought "hey, there's Arthur Dent!"
My feeling is that Martin Freeman plays Arthur Dent like more of a Bilbo character in the film than Arthur Dent is in Douglas Adams's books.
But choosing him as Bilbo for the films just feels so perfectly right.

Not to forget a recommendation:

"The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" from 2003 with Sean Connery as Allan Quartermain and others.

The league which gets together to fight the baddy (with lots of takes on James Bond movies along the way):

Allan Quartermain (also known as "Q" in the British secret service)
Tom Sawyer (a special agent from the US, and yes, THAT Tom Sawyer!)
Mina Harker (think Dracula!"
Dorian Gray
Dr. Henry Jekyll/Edward Hyde
Captain Nemo (here he's from India)
The Invisible Man (not the original, a new one)

Head of the British secret service:
Professor James Moriarty (also known as "M"

Reviews seem to have been tepid at best, but I just loved the concept of the league (Mina Harker is a VERY extraordinary gentleman).
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:The Godfather trilogy

My oldest brother said those are his favorite movies.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the new Disney movie Frozen is awesome!! I love the story. And it also has a new twist that I don't think I've ever seen in a Disney movie before. A very good new twist.

[Edited on 02/12/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Just a few more from my DVD collection:

Apocalypse Now Director's Cut.

The three "Dark Knight" Batman movies by Christopher Nolan starring Christian Bale as Batman: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises ("The Dark Knight Returns" from 1986 is a comic book - and I mean BOOK - 188 pages - and imho the best Batman of all time).

Blade Runner (I have a 5-Disc "Ultimate Collector's Edition" with all 5 theater version including the 2007 director's cut).

The Blade trilogy (OK, that's R-rated turf, but Wesley Snipes and Kris Kristofferson are just awesome!).

The Ice Age quadrilogy (first film was best, as it was new and fresh).

The Shrek quadrilogy (first film as above, and also the movies with the most amazing songs, from Leonard Cohen to Led Zeppelin!).

Walt Disney's "Fantasia", 1940, best thing ever to come from Disney, amazing classical music with fitting cartoon interpretation.

Anything by Stanley Kubrick.(I mean when you have Jack Nicholson, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and (I think) John Cassavetes basically saying unanimously "he's The Man" - how do I argue?).

Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman and Faye Dunaway and Martin Balsam.

The Terminator quadrilogy.

The Madagascar trilogy.

As you can see, my taste is wide-ranging.

[Edited on 02/12/2014 by Gandolorin]

[Edited on 02/15/2014 by Gandolorin]
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I FULLY RECOMMEND SEEING CATCHING FIRE!!!!!!!! It was amazing!!! CANNOT wait till Mockingjay!!!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:The Color of Magic may not have been a theater movie. There are two parts on one DVD, total running time three hours. Could have been a TV Movie.

It was, it was made for Sky. There's also Going Postal from 2010 and Hogfather (2006).
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Update:
'Pina' by Wim Wendres. Please, please see this. A beautiful film. 'Wings of Desire' is not the same as 'City of Angels'. Tom Cruise's best film is 'Magnolia'. Johnny Depp is in 'Dead Man' by Jim Jarmusch (stunning soundtrack by Neil Young, loud is good).
'Winter's Bone' by Debra Granik, much neglected gem. 'Andrei Rublev' by Tarkovsky. The best film ever.
And finally, 'Twelve Years A Slave' which will make you weep.

Oh, and read 'House At Pooh Corner' if you really want to know the meaning of Disneyfication. I'm done.

[Edited on 02/28/2014 by tarcolan]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The Book Thief.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
^^GOOD MOVIE!!! Read the book first!!!!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I did read the book, Ethelynn. Oh, and Gandolorin, I watched the third Madagascar this morning at seven when I woke up for church. And i watched the first Ice Age last night at midnight!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
I LOVE ICE AGE!!!! And Madagascar is sweet too! I really do want to see Frozen, Twelve Years A Slave, and the Book Thief. Catching Fire was amazing as well
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I saw Frozen and Catching Fire some time ago, and the Book Thief as well. 12 Years a Slave has been on demand for some time on FiOS, but I haven't watched it yet. The Book Thief is on there as well, and Catching Fire!

How about Titanic? It's such a sad story, but so good at the same time.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
DIVERGENT!!! GO GO GO GO!!!!!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Where are you seeing all these movies, Ethelynn?
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
@findemaxam48: You can find any movie online.

I don't really have any suggestions, as I'm not at all a movie fan. There are a few I like, such as: Beauty and the Beast (my favorite Disney movie, as well as, I think, my favorite movie of all time), the Lord of the Rings trilogy (books are better though), Star Wars (books are still better, except the original trilogy), the first Narnia movie, and the first and fourth Pirates movies. That pretty much sums up the movies I really enjoy.
TV shows are way better, especially anime and cartoons.

[Edited on 03/24/2014 by Leoflic_Nightleaf]
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
^^ I see someone was celebrating Pi day

We found all these movies at a website online that I hope is legal It's called Megashare, and that's how we were able to watch Frozen, the Book Thief, and Catching Fire for free. Our teachers have used it in school to show us movie clips to demonstrate examples in the lesson to us. So... I don't really know.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
^^^^^ YES^^^^ All of those!!!
Yes, and ANY Disney movie is amazing!!! XD
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I don't think you can view Divergent online now, Leoflic, it's brand new. It just came out March 21st, and Ethelynn said to go see it on March 20th, when there were select 8 o clock viewings, so...I just wondered.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Movies come out online after they come out on DVD!

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
*Divergents not out on DVD* ^.^ *cries* But I REALLY want to go see it! Where did you, Ethelynn? You should have asked me to come with you!

[Edited on 04/03/2014 by findemaxam48]
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
I really enjoyed Brave. And Disney's Three Musketeers was a lot of fun to watch.
I'm currently watching The Adventures of TinTin. I really loved the comic books and the cartoon is enjoyable too.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I love brave as well, star! I still haven't finished Adventures of TinTin, but I started to watch it and liked it alot.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Meh. I don't really like movies. I mean, I LOVE LotR, and a few other classic ones (Star Wars, for instance), but I just don't really like movies in general anymore. I do like TV shows, though. Anime in particular. Anything Japanese blows away all this western garbage, at least when it comes to story lines. Manga is also great.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email